A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Queen of Hearts upcycled fairytale sweater coat  (Read 13799 times)
Tags for this thread: upcycled , queen_of_hearts  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011 09:18:08 AM »

The Queen of Hearts coat was made in 2011 & as the maker says of the Cheshire Cat coat, "the pattern is my own." So, either everyone is wrong and they have all copied a pattern that was created in the 60's when most of the first "home use" sergers came to be,  or more likely, one coat inspired the next.

I'm not sure how it's misleading to say that the pattern is my own. I didn't buy a pattern from the store or trace one from an existing garment.  I drafted it on paper myself.  Obviously I'd never claim to be the inventor of a long hooded sweater coat, just as I'd never claim to be the inventor of the t-shirt. I also didn't invent the idea of making a hoode or a corset out of a t-shirt, but I do specify that I draft my own patterns, generally because people ask where I got the pattern or what pattern I used.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011 09:31:55 AM by smarmyclothes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011 09:22:22 AM »

what i would be really curious about is if we can get a tutorial or even a small idea how you went about this. Like one of the previous posters said is one of these coats possible without  a serger. Crafters should be able to make things that we see with our own creativity and unique design Smiley  

I haven't made one without a serger, but I imagine it is certainly possible with a zig-zag stitch. I would sew each piece with a straight stitch first and then zig-zag the seam allowance with a satin stitch. The most important part is treating the cut pieces gently so you don't start unraveling.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phookatep
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011 05:58:13 AM »

I hate joining months old arguements, but if you check smarmy's cheshire cat sweater coat she said she made this from seeing the ones on etsy.The whole point of DIY is if you can't aford for some else to make it Grin DO IT YOURSELF Grin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Any Body With A Heart Wants Love~~
thecrittercloset
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011 07:32:07 AM »

You may well be right and in that case SmarmyClothes is still not the originator of this pattern.  Kat began selling them on etsy in 2007 & selling them from her bus before that. The Queen of Hearts coat was made in 2011 & as the maker says of the Cheshire Cat coat, "the pattern is my own." So, either everyone is wrong and they have all copied a pattern that was created in the 60's when most of the first "home use" sergers came to be,  or more likely, one coat inspired the next. There are quite a number of Katwise-type coats on etsy now & all claim to be "original" patterns. I think the Queen of Hearts  coat is adorable & as is her CheshireCat coat she made. She is very talented. I just think it is important to not claim to be the inventor. It is just as good to be the reworker of the invention but you just need to say so. It can also save some legal headaches later. My oils & incenses that I make are all for just that reason.
I am really not trying to step on paws.
Marion

as far as Katwise goes, she may have been the first to sell them on etsy. However, I know for a fact that these coats were sold on the streets in Ireland at fairs etc. many many years ago.  She is not the originator of this coat and i get so tired of her claiming to be. People pieced together pieces of clothing/sweaters in order to clothe their children and themselves in extremely poor times.  Who knows when she saw the design/idea, but she sure isnt the creator.  She is extremely talented, thats for sure.  No arguement there.  But not the creator.

And for all of you who want to make one of these coats.....there is a seller on etsy that has come up with a pattern to make them.  And she also has a pattern to make one completely CROCHETED!  her site is www.winterolive.etsy.com.   and dont come down on her for making a pattern.  she is helping all of you in these posts and alot of other people who cant afford to pay the outrageous prices sellers like katwise are asking for these coats.  there are tons of sellers on etsy selling these coats.  so if you come down on her you have to come down on them all.  personally i think its great!  gonna get that pattern and make one of my own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecrittercloset
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011 07:33:39 AM »

what i would be really curious about is if we can get a tutorial or even a small idea how you went about this. Like one of the previous posters said is one of these coats possible without  a serger. Crafters should be able to make things that we see with our own creativity and unique design Smiley  

I haven't made one without a serger, but I imagine it is certainly possible with a zig-zag stitch. I would sew each piece with a straight stitch first and then zig-zag the seam allowance with a satin stitch. The most important part is treating the cut pieces gently so you don't start unraveling.

there is a pattern for these coats on etsy..... www.winterolive.etsy.com   she says in the description no serger is needed.  she also has a pattern to crochet a coat too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lopeets

"i made you muffins!"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011 12:59:26 PM »

Your coats appear very well sewn and are just gorgeous. I think the Caterpillar is my favorite. I love seeing everyone's different take on this style and the Alice in Wonderland themed color schemes are absolutely adorable!

To jump in on the inventor arguement, I am also pretty sure it's not Katwise so she should drop that claim if she is boasting it. I bought one (for 27 euros which was probably about $40 at the time) in Holland in 2005 to create a pattern from, and I have a family friend who sold them at the texas ren fest when i met her in the 90s. Hers are always muted tones and more often solid colors, and the hood on hers is done a little different (still long and functions as a scarf, but flat on the end rather than pointed)

These are really gorgeous coats and everyone makes them a little different. I don't think anyone should be claiming to have invented the design, but each designer can claim originality of their version as they are using their own (though similar) pattern, fabric/color scheme and stitch. I use various fabrics and do a lot of slinkier, silky nightgown stuff for robes. I also crochet my pieces together when I use sweater bits rather than a sewing machine. Ive only casually scooted about etsy upon reading this discussion, but I dont see anyone else doing either of those things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecrittercloset
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011 01:19:24 PM »

Your coats appear very well sewn and are just gorgeous. I think the Caterpillar is my favorite. I love seeing everyone's different take on this style and the Alice in Wonderland themed color schemes are absolutely adorable!

To jump in on the inventor arguement, I am also pretty sure it's not Katwise so she should drop that claim if she is boasting it. I bought one (for 27 euros which was probably about $40 at the time) in Holland in 2005 to create a pattern from, and I have a family friend who sold them at the texas ren fest when i met her in the 90s. Hers are always muted tones and more often solid colors, and the hood on hers is done a little different (still long and functions as a scarf, but flat on the end rather than pointed)

These are really gorgeous coats and everyone makes them a little different. I don't think anyone should be claiming to have invented the design, but each designer can claim originality of their version as they are using their own (though similar) pattern, fabric/color scheme and stitch. I use various fabrics and do a lot of slinkier, silky nightgown stuff for robes. I also crochet my pieces together when I use sweater bits rather than a sewing machine. Ive only casually scooted about etsy upon reading this discussion, but I dont see anyone else doing either of those things.

thank you for agreeing with me about Katwise.  I do get so tired of her claims.  Did you see the crocheted version i mentioned was on etsy?  its really cool....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lopeets

"i made you muffins!"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011 07:51:02 PM »

I really like the crochet version, but I can't imagine how long that must take! Just crocheting sweater pieces together is sooooo many hours for me. Then again, I'm bad about putting on a movie for some background noise and doing more watching than working. I think one day I'll sit down and try to crochet one though. Worst case scenario, I get frustrated part of the way into it and turn it into something else Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erachelle
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011 05:36:34 PM »

You are such an inspiration. I love your creative voice! This is gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ratINcat
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012 08:37:19 AM »

Very alice-in-wonderland! I love it - looks very comfy too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Preserved Roses
How to Use a Bouquet Holder
How to Make a Pillow and Blanket Set For the Car
Making Cards From Sandpaper
Three Tips for Embroidering Your Own Monograms
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...