A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Queen of Hearts upcycled fairytale sweater coat  (Read 13340 times)
Tags for this thread: upcycled , queen_of_hearts  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maxgyver
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011 06:05:51 AM »

I love it! It looks warm too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chamomile_T
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011 03:47:10 PM »

the lacing down the back is a nice touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scarlet_nights
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You laugh because Im different, I laugh because your all the same.

Eh what, no Im a f@$&ing squirel

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011 04:07:47 PM »

Oh I am in love with this. Hitting this rocks and wisting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marionwilhelm

You CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011 08:11:12 AM »

At the risk of sounding like a witch, Katwise is the originator of these coats: http://www.etsy.com/shop/katwise?ref=seller_info
I know imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but I think credit where credit is due is a good thing, too. Just a quick nod to Kat saying that you were inspired by her ideas/work, etc....
Your ideas are lovely & different in may ways-short hood, laced back & they are really cute. When I spring off others ideas I mention it in my listings.
As I said, I know I sound like a real B&*%$H. But it is Spelled With a W.
Marion
SpelledWithaW.com

« Last Edit: July 05, 2011 08:16:16 AM by marionwilhelm - Reason: updated code » THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty-minou

Meow Meow Meow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011 12:03:29 PM »

Marion, Katwise did not invent this kind of coat, they have been made by people for a long time.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011 12:04:39 PM by crafty-minou » THIS ROCKS   Logged

marionwilhelm

You CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011 07:07:09 PM »

You may well be right and in that case SmarmyClothes is still not the originator of this pattern.  Kat began selling them on etsy in 2007 & selling them from her bus before that. The Queen of Hearts coat was made in 2011 & as the maker says of the Cheshire Cat coat, "the pattern is my own." So, either everyone is wrong and they have all copied a pattern that was created in the 60's when most of the first "home use" sergers came to be,  or more likely, one coat inspired the next. There are quite a number of Katwise-type coats on etsy now & all claim to be "original" patterns. I think the Queen of Hearts  coat is adorable & as is her CheshireCat coat she made. She is very talented. I just think it is important to not claim to be the inventor. It is just as good to be the reworker of the invention but you just need to say so. It can also save some legal headaches later. My oils & incenses that I make are all for just that reason.
I am really not trying to step on paws.
Marion
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftsunderground
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011 02:21:30 PM »

I just love this coat. I had seen the other one you made and thought it was great too, but I like this one even better. I think it's very wearable and yet fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
cutelittledevil

Worldpeace here we come

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011 11:39:39 AM »

I want a new machine just for these kind of sweaters. I love the lacing you added, it just makes it more queen of hearts like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/cutelittledevil

I'd love to do personal swaps
frogprincess
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011 10:11:58 PM »

Firstly i want to say that this is absolutely a gorgeous piece of artwork. I really love that people are taking old stuff and making new great things.

that said in my honest opinion it doesn't matter who's idea it was originally. If the artist created the pattern herself who cares. It is her design and talent that makes the work wonderful.  The only way i would think it would be wrong is if someone took a piece of work that someone did took their name off it and claimed they made it themselves. For example taking the Mona Lisa  and  putting your own name on it and claiming you made it . Absurd yes, but very true.

what i would be really curious about is if we can get a tutorial or even a small idea how you went about this. Like one of the previous posters said is one of these coats possible without  a serger. Crafters should be able to make things that we see with our own creativity and unique design Smiley 

thank you so much to both  the creator of the queen of hearts coat and katwise for their awesomeness. beautiful design and great inspiration.
tanya

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Ashley
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011 01:15:23 PM »

Love it!

As to the other topic, there's a huge difference between claiming an idea to be all original and drafting your own pattern.  Fashion has been copied, imitated, and evolved for centuries - always has, always will.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Beach/Snow Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Backlight Scene
Canon XSi/450D Getting Started: Part 2 - Basic Picture
Canon XSi/450D Getting Started: Part 1 - Setup
Canon SD770 IS: Set White Balance Function
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...