A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,527
Currently Running With Scissors:
364 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cross stitch: light or dark Aida?  (Read 759 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

freeli
« on: April 09, 2011 11:39:56 AM »

Hiya everyone,

I have a question and hope you could help me. I got a pic from Halo that I'd love to make as a cross stitch picture. I used the free KG-Chart software to transform it into a stitch pattern (150x120 sts, planning to do it on 16ct Aida, probably 2 threads). The preview the program gave for the finished pic is this:

- I'm quite excited really, hehe -

But I was now wondering if I should take light or dark Aida? I know that dark background makes it quite difficult to find the wholes, but I wouldn't mind. Not in a hurry. It is just cause there is a lot of dark as well as light in the picture.
Also, whatever i go for, would 2 threads of floss be enough on 16ct Aida to cover the background?

I'm grateful for any advice  Kiss

Cheers

Liz

THIS ROCKS   Logged
RedMenace
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011 02:13:59 PM »

If the software allows you to change the color of the grid lines, you could try black grid lines and white grid lines and see which you like better... it may give a slightly better idea of how the finished piece would look on the two different colored backgrounds. I would think the black would look better, but I'd definitely play with the grid lines if possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofmarigold
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011 08:26:42 AM »

I agree that dark would look good, as long as you have a good light to work with. If you're anything like me, after a while your eyes will pretty much refuse to focus at all with dark cloth!

Nice picture/pattern, too. Nerd crafts rock Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
E.L.S.O.S.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011 02:03:55 PM »

I just finished a cross stitch on dark Aida and I found it helpful to have a white piece of paper on my lap and a dual light source. One light goes behind you, like normal, for illuminating your work while the second light is angled so it's shining on the paper so it's brighter. Then, you can see through the holes a lot easier for the stitching.

For me, I just used a a piece of computer paper and angled my regular reading lamp so it shone on both me and the paper. I even got the cat to tolerate the paper going on top of him so I could stitch and be his personal space heater at the same time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofmarigold
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011 10:11:39 PM »

Good advice, ELSOS, that never would have occurred to me.

Are you sure you were heating the cat, though, or was he heating you?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
freeli
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011 10:34:24 AM »

Thanks guys Smiley

I did find out how to change the background colour in the program, black looks much better. Double light source sounds great (with cat even better), I'll see what I can do.
Sweet Nerdcraft, haha!
Cheers  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Strawberry Shortcake Recipes
How to Make Homemade Breakfast Sausage
How to Make Healthy Homemade Pancakes
How to Make Corn Saute
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Mashed Chickpea Salad Sammy
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...