A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,668
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin and Plugs (For Stretched Ears!)  (Read 730 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EvolveDragonfly
« on: January 10, 2012 06:50:10 PM »

So I love plugs, been wearing them 10+ years. I wanted to make my own with clay, and then I discovered resin. I'm very close to starting to make my own with tunnels and resin, but I want to clear all my questions before I put any money into it. I love Etsy, I'm always on it looking at awesome stuff. One thing I've noticed on there is that most of the resin/tunnel plugs are flared - usually double.

My question is, is there a reason behind this? Does the resin turn out better in flared pieces or is it all just the most popular preference? I personally hate flared, double and single. And there aren't many non-flared plugs on Etsy. I don't want to make double flared plugs if I don't have to, and I also don't want to drop $200+ on materials if it turns out that the non-flared plugs just won't work. I'm hoping someone has some info behind this. Or if you wear plugs (of any material), I'm also curious in your size, and preferred style - I can't seem to find any straight up stats on what sizes are most popular currently. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012 05:47:21 AM »

Theoretically, the flaring is to keep them in your ear. I usually wear a single-flared tunnel with an o-ring on the back (2 gauge), and almost every morning I wake up with it pushed into my ear hole AWAY from the flared end Tongue A few times I've had to go diving for it in my many layers of bed covers. My double-flared labradorite plug is for special occasions because it ALWAYS falls out in bed. So yeah, I don't think the flaring works too well Tongue

If you prefer straight plugs and don't have issues with them falling out, then you should definitely make them that way! You could easily make a mold with a little silicone and one of your current plugs. Beyond that, I have no experience with resin and can't give any further advice, but it's early in the day and I'm sure someone will be along who has much better advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EvolveDragonfly
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012 05:47:22 AM »

So far no advice on the resin. I absolutely hate the flared plugs.. I've worn straight ones with no O rings for like 10 years, and rarely do they ever fall out - not even in bed. If I can't find any info/input soon I might just go with single flared ones. I want to put images in the plugs and that way if it works better with flares, at least I didn't waste my money.

Either way! When I finally get my materials and experiment, I will be back to post my results. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF COLLECTIONS: Paul Smith - Fall 2015 - London Fashion Week - Runway & Interviews
Girls Night In: DIY Avocado and Banana Face Mask
Selfie-Ready Beauty Products
Must-Have Spring Beauty Launches
BEAUTY BUZZ: Tadashi Shoji - Fall 2015 - NYFW
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...