A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,957
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Doctor's Companion Charm Bracelet  (Read 19557 times)
Tags for this thread: charm_bracelet , doctor_who , jewelry_and_trinkets_challenge_3_favorite_media  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 07, 2011 07:58:53 PM »

A few months ago I fell in love.  Head-over-heels, once-in-a-lifetime kind of love.  It was sudden.  It was magical.  It was intense.

It was with a fictional character.

While participating in the last round of Matchbox swapping, I created a Doctor Who themed matchbox for my partner spidermom.  I had never seen the show before, but she had so many cute Doctor Who related items on her wist, and I was sure I could pull together something adorable for her.  After scheming, creating, and shipping my TARDIS Matchbox, I got curious.  I sat down with Netflix while DH was out at his weekly board game night, and started watching.  And that was all it took.  A few short hours and I was in love with a madman in a blue box.  At that moment I began dreaming up this bracelet.  I spent weeks finding just the right charms.  Ordering them from all over the place.  Some from local Etsy sellers, some from Asia, and some I made myself.  So, without further ado, here is my entry, The Doctor's Companion Bracelet.  (Or "His 'Plus-One' Bracelet"!)

The beads are a mixture of glass, crystal, and freshwater pearls in TARDIS blue, and the black of empty space, with a few clear AB crystals.  Overall the color palette was taken directly from the TARDIS itself, but it also reminds me a lot of the designs for the episode "Midnight", set on a dark and barren diamond covered planet.  The charms are a mix of Tibetan silver, pewter, and handmade bezels.  The clasp is a VERY sturdy lobster style clasp.  I had wanted to pick out something pretty and decorative, but being the Doctor's Companion does require an awful LOT of running, so I figured a secure clasp was better in the end.  Cheesy

The charms include:
Hope Bead: "Oh, I always live in hope." - The Doctor
Star: Part of the wonders the Doctor sees in his travels.
Fob Watch: Also known as the Chameleon Arch, a pocket watch in which the Doctor can store his memories and personality, while becoming temporarily human.  Martha, this watch is me! - The Doctor, Human Nature (Handmade charm)

Two Hearts:  My favorite alien has two hearts.  A condition which can save his life, but also lead to twice the sorrow when they are broken.  "Only one heart working... how do you cope like this? - The Doctor, The Shakespeare Code
Planet of the Ood: Also called the Ood Sphere, whose inhabitants will sing the song of The Doctor-Donna for ages.
Union Jack: "And Rose...  Love the tee shirt!" - Capt. Jack Harkness, utterly incorrigible flirt, The Doctor Dances
(Also part one of that episode: "And I'm looking for a blonde in a Union Jack. A specific one, mind you, I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving." - The Doctor, The Empty Child)
Bad Wolf:  "I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself. I take the words... I scatter them, in time and space." - Rose Tyler, The Parting of the Ways

Angel Wing: One of the most terrifying creations in science fiction history.  Angel statues that can kill you, but ONLY when you aren't looking at them.  "The angels are coming for you, but listen, your life could depend on this: don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast, faster than you could believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and *don't blink*! Good luck." - The Doctor, Blink
the TARDIS Time And Relative Dimension in Space; the Doctors wonderful Police Box shaped time machine & spacecraft; aka the sports car of time travel. (Handmade charm)
Stethoscope: [Donna looks shocked as the Doctor pulls a stethoscope out of his rather fitted suit pocket.]  "They're bigger on the inside." - The Doctor

Teacup: Tea! That's all I needed! Good cup of tea! Super-heated infusion of free-radicals and tannin, just the thing for healing the synapses... The Doctor, the Christmas Invasion
Wonderful token: "He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and can see the turn of the universe. and... he's WONDERFUL." -Tim Latimer, describing the Doctor, The Family of Blood

Handy Spare Hand: My hand there. My handy spare hand. Remember? Christmas Day. Sycorax. Lost my hand in a sword fight. That's my hand. Hello. The Doctor, Journeys End
Masked Lady: Clockwork robots in the Girl in the Fireplace

Earth: And when you go back to the stars and tell others of this planet, when you tell them of its riches, its people, its potential, when you talk of the Earth, then make sure that you tell them this... IT. IS. DEFENDED! - The Doctor, saving the planet once again in The Christmas Invasion (Handmade charm)
Key to the TARDIS
Doctor: "By the way, you'll be needing this." [reveals a TARDIS key hanging on a string]
Martha Jones: "Really?"
The Doctor: "Frequent fliers privilege."  - The Doctor, 42
Banana: Well, among other things, I *think* I just invented the banana daiquiri a couple of centuries early. Do you know they'd never seen a banana before? Always take a banana to a party, Rose, bananas are good. - The Doctor, The Girl in the Fireplace

Sadly some of the pictures don't show the bracelet's true colors.  It is much more blue in reality.  I'll try to get an extra pic out in natural light this afternoon!  Enjoy.  Cheesy  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011 11:31:39 AM by jennieingram » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
CDEeeek
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011 08:22:37 PM »

Don't you just love it when you find a new show that makes you love it this much? I love to say to people randomly "Never trust anyone who doesn't know what a Tardis is." lol Pretty piece of work there, love the watch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I has a pinterest: http://pinterest.com/cdeeeek/

"It's an electronics store, Major, not Basra. Get it under control."
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011 08:51:12 PM »

Beautiful! So many different parts of the show!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zzdia

oh-my-golly-wow-bananas

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011 09:18:41 PM »

That is fantastic! I love the charms you chose and the color is definitely reminiscent of the TARDIS.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog :: pinterest

Swapping international? Read up on swapping tips!

Tomorrow is another day. Never say die. Tomorrow is the day I die
ivoryh1632
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011 10:23:14 PM »

oh....my....god.....that is AMAZING! absolutely love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

night_owl_blue
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011 10:28:52 PM »

Wow, you really put some thought into this braclet. Ain't true love grand even if it's with a chacter on a t.v. show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011 10:57:20 PM »

I love this braclet  Grin Can I ask, where do you get all your charms from? your braclets have such a wide variety. Ive never seen so many.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2014 - 67/50 Done!

Personal swaps welcome Cheesy
PurpleHeather
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011 12:02:09 AM »

This is utterly beautiful - I'm a huge Who fan & really looking forward to the new series, and your bracelet brought back memories of all the great Tennant & Eccleston episodes! Your hand made charms are especially awesome. Wonderful Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MerryGlas
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011 12:30:06 AM »

Oh my, this is just stunning  Smiley I want one! Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Akkhima
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011 12:52:39 AM »

Wow! So much thought into almost random seeming charms (like the banana, I would have never associated that to the Doctor!). And I love the blue mixing it all together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brad Thor on the Action in Black List
Kathy Leonard Czepiel on the Inspiration for A Violet Season
Chuck Thompson on Keeping Texas and Giving Up Florida
Chuck Thompson on the Creation Museum
Chuck Thompson on the Six Mosques in Mobile
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...