A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,770
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Storage Hammock for flat wall Prototype #1  (Read 5561 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: April 07, 2011 04:09:17 PM »

I made some storage hammocks for my kids a while ago, so when we got into a discussion on the fiber boards about fiber storage, we thought these might work. So I am making some for the girl who started the topic! But there are some things I needed to redesign. Aside from what was already discussed in the other thread, she wants one or more on a flat wall. Totally different approach! The corner hammocks are done in more of a mesh (sc, ch5, sc in the ch 5 spaces of previous row), this one is more like fillet crochet. Here is what I have so far:

Side/bottom shot
Measures ~39 1/2 in x 10, made with chenille yarn (stolen from a sweater) "plied" with some #10 crochet cotton. OK, so I lied, I didn't ply it. I was just working off of both balls at the same time. I kept track of the pattern, vaguely, so I could recreate the first side the same on the second, just in case anyone is interested. Here it is!
Pattern for the small flat wall:
I used some thin chenille yarn stolen from a sweater and some #10 cotton thread together. I think if I had done this witht he bigger hammock it would have worked a lot better.
On a D-ring, using hook D, 15 sc
Rows 2-5 Hook E -15 sc
Rows 6-8 Hook F - 15 sc
Rows 9-10 15(ch1, sc1)
Row 11 ch1, 14(sc, ch2), sc
Rows 12-17 15(ch2, dc)
Rows 18-23 Hook G 15(ch2, dc)
Rows 24-27 Hook H 15(ch2, dc)
Rows 28-47 Hook I 15(ch2, dc)
Basically from here on you just work it backwards again:
Rows 48-51 Hook H 15(ch2, dc)
Rows 52-57 Hook G 15(ch2, dc)
Rows 58-63 Hook F 15(ch2, dc)
Row 64 ch1, 14 (sc, ch2), sc
Rows 65-66 15(ch1, sc1)
Rows 67-69 15sc
Rows 70-73 Hook E 15sc
Row 74 D Hook working on another D ring at same time as on Row 73 15sc

Maybe it's too skinny? I don't know, it holds up pretty well under pressure. Yes, that is a gratuitous shot of ALL of my hand spun yarns, minus what's on my spindle and niddy noddy. Maybe making it thicker would take away from it's structural integrity? What do you guys think? I was thinking I wouldnt' like it this skinny but kept at it because I'm stubborn and I think I really do like it. If Ptarmic Wumpus doesn't want it then I will be glad to keep it on my wall, holding my yarns.

Prototype #2: 67" x 12" I spaced it 65" apart for this photo. LOTS of stretch. I think it was stretchier than the other because I just used 2 strands of the chenille sweater rather than 1 strand chenille, 1 strand #10 cotton thread.

I also upped it to 18dc/row instead of just 15 like Belladune suggested, though the other was just 15 all the way and this one started as 12 at the D-ring and upped to 18 at about row 12 (I think).
ETA #3: The corner! About 22 inches/side. This time i used 1 strand sweater/1 strand #10 cotton thread. I think it helps keep the stretch down. If I have done it with the longer of the 2 flat wall hammocks it would have worked better. Oh well, she still seems to like it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011 09:07:27 PM by jexxican - Reason: adding pattern » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011 04:31:18 PM »

I think if you make it longer, the center of gravity will be more towards the front.  That way the yarns won't tend to fall out. 

I like this idea.  Maybe with a small pouch hanging from the side to hold hooks? 

Good job!!

Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Never Let It Fade Away.
Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Save It For A Rainy Day.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011 04:32:56 PM »

I think it's a great idea.  Great for storage in smaller areas.  I don't know if it would be as structurally sound if you made it wider, but it could very easily be made longer to accommodate more stuff I think.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011 04:38:09 PM »

You both say longer: I think what you're thinking is if the D-rings were spaced further apart? Right? The hammock is almost 40" but I hung them on push pins not even 30" apart, just because that's where they happened to be. Or do you just think loner in general? Wumpus? Thoughts?

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011 05:08:07 PM »

Looks good to me!  By changing either the spacing of the hooks or the length of the hammock, you can adjust slightly how wide it can spread when stuffed.

LV 20  blog!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011 05:45:23 PM »

I think it could be an option to make it longer, but you wouldn't have to of course!

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011 06:20:17 PM »

i think it is a great idea... and not just for yarny fibers...  i would love three or four for stashing various fat quarters and fabricy goodies in sight but not on a horizontal flat surface...

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011 07:12:01 PM »

I'd go with longer and maybe 3 stitch repeats wider.  that is a lot of yarn, but really, if it holds even more yarn, the better imho.   You can never have enough yarn anyway.

just making the world better one stich at a time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011 08:01:47 PM »

i wish i could use something like this for my yarn stash but it's way to big, it fills up three 80 gallon totes Sad. i'm thinking this would be a good idea for stuffed animals though. we have an abundance of those.

hey check out my tiny etsy shop

btw i'm lookin to start making soap if there are any suggestions someone has for me please don't hesitate.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011 09:39:26 PM »

Oh this is a great yarn storage idea. I've never tried to make one for fear that all the dirt we get here in the desert would get all over my yarns. But I do love looking at yours. Smiley

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write Like an Architect Series Preview
Her Health Minute with Artist Darin Grandmason
How a Manufacturer Innovates ECommerce Operations
How Moo Cards Plots a Small Business Design Revolution
Jon Kolko on How to Improve Design School Education and Teaching
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...