A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brother CE-4000 tangled bobbin thread, error E6  (Read 14904 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 06, 2011 10:35:44 PM »

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this.  I've been searching online for hours with no luck, not to mention messing with my machine half the day, and I'm just going crazy!

Like it says in the subject line, I have a Brother CE-4000, and I can sew about one stitch (if I'm lucky) before the bobbin thread gets tangled and the machine shuts down with an E6 error message.  An interesting aspect of the tangle is that it seems to be different every time- sometimes it's tangled around the top thread, sometimes around the bobbin casing itself, sometimes just sort of wandering into the wrong place (as pictured), and sometimes tangled around itself in knots.  Not to mention the absolutely godawful noise it makes when this happens. 

I've had this machine since early 2007, so I'm pretty familiar with the basics of operating it (yes, I am quite sure I'm threading it right, and I am using the appropriate needle for the fabric) but I won't pretend to be super well-versed in how to fix machines. 

This is what I've tried so far.

-Threading and re-threading
-Changing my needle
-Changing the tension
-Changing the bobbin
-Changing the bobbin thread
-Taking it apart and cleaning it
-Inspecting the bobbin case (looks fine to me, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly though nothing looks out of place or damaged)

I just used it a couple of weeks ago, and everything was fine.  The last thing I attempted to do (if it matters) was to fix a hole in a nylon shopping bag.  That's when the trouble began, but it's not just the nylon that makes the machine do this.  I've tried cotton, felt, corduroy, knit teeshirt material, and flannel all with the same result- tangle and error.  I had a similar problem last year that cleared up with a simple cleaning, but that isn't working this time.

Can anyone help?  I'm desperate and completely frustrated.  I'm hoping I don't have to take it to be serviced as we have no money right now and I need to sew for a swap...did I miss something simple?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011 05:02:13 AM »

I'm not sure whether this will solve your problem, but I just had something surprisingly similar happen on my Brother CS6000.

Can you pull out the black casing that actually holds the bobbin in place?

If you can, take a real good look at it. I discovered (after sewing about 30 yards of burlap for a duck blind) that mine was missing the tip of a little point that starts about 9:00 and curves to 12:00 (if it were a clock).

I also noticed that while it was doing all that tangling, it was poking needle holes all in the black part.

Before we figured that out, my husband got online and ordered me a new one for about $30 (figuring that even if it didn't work it was a good bet).   It wasn't until the new part arrived that I realized there was a hunk of plastic missing from the original. Duh. (Now I have a pretty good photo of the guts as they are supposed to look.)

I hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
theatreorchid
Craftssassin

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011 05:54:05 AM »

Thanks for the reply!  I just pulled it out and looked at it again...still seems pretty normal to me.  I found this one and this one to compare it to and I don't see any real difference, but I'm still hoping I'm missing something. 

Here's mine.

On a side note, 30 yards of burlap?  Shocked  I'm all itchy just thinking about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glasstapper
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011 09:37:26 PM »

This happened all the time on my old brother, on and off but inevitably making me hate sewing from screwing with it... I believe once it was fixed at the repair shop by replacing the bobbin case, which had tiny scratches in it which were snagging the thread. You can also try oiling it. Even though newer machines say it's not necessay, my repair guy told me it can fix a world of problems. The oil's cheap, too, and lasts forever.

But honestly, my solution was to buy a better quality machine. I've had a Husqvarna for a few months now and have had hardly any problems (and none that haven't been fixed by rethreading!), and this going from fighting my machine every half an hour with my old cheap-y brother. I would suggest saving up for a better machine when you get the chance, since the price of repairing my brother was prettymuch its initial cost, anyway. Tongue

Anyway, I'm sorry it's not working for you. I hope it gets better. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theatreorchid
Craftssassin

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011 09:46:47 PM »

I don't think I've tried oiling it recently, it certainly can't hurt.  I won't be taking it to the repair place because, like your machine, the cost to repair it would be about $20 less than its initial cost!  This one really has lasted a long time for what it is, I got it in early 2007 so it's pretty much at the end of its life expectancy anyway from what I've heard.  I have loved it dearly though and until now haven't had a single problem!  I am saving for a better machine but it's going to be a looooooong while, we're dead broke. Sad

My aunt swears by Husqvarna machines too, she's had really good experiences with them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011 06:59:42 AM »

Looks normal to me, too.
Hmmmm. Maybe it was the gagillion little scratches and needle holes and not the broken part, then? I don't know, but replacing it was simple and WORKED. It was cheaper than a "tune up" at our local repair place, too.

I'd like a "better" machine, but until/unless I really start sewing more than about 10 days a year, getting a machine that cost more than my entire bachelor's degree cost doesn't seem to make financial sense to me. So, Brother it is. Good to know Husqvarna is a good choice, though, for when the time comes.

The burlap was that camo-kind, printed with all kinds of leaves and things. My husband and son duckhunt and came up with the idea that rather than wade in and stand in cold water (even in chestwaders, that water is pretty miserable before dawn), wouldn't it be great to get a duck blind that fit the BOAT? Then they could motor back about 3 a.m., cut the engine, throw on the blind, and be MUCH warmer while waiting on daylight.

Only DH didn't find a boat duckblind. He had to draw one. Which means I had to sew one. I hauled the machine out onto the carport--I knew it was going to kick up major dust--and sewed all day, with DH in front and son behind helping to move the fabric so it didn't pull on the machine motor. NASTY stuff. I hate it.

They're pretty happy with it, though we got the 10' long zipper in the wrong place. NEXT year we'll try again. Oooh, goodie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
theatreorchid
Craftssassin

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011 07:51:27 AM »

I think I'll try getting a new bobbin case.  It might not fix the problem but it's worth a try!  Unfortunately I just spent $30 at the Goodwill to get a vintage machine as a temporary stand-in (I literally can't go a week without machine sewing, lol) and that was kind of my entire budget for a while.  Embarrassed  Fortunately it works great, but it's very basic and really isn't a good permanent replacement.  It keeps me from losing my brains due to sewing withdrawls. 

Someone on the sew_hip community on LJ suggested perhaps something as simple as using a metal bobbin instead of plastic (since they're just slightly taller, they might keep the thread where it is supposed to be) so I'm going to pick some up this afternoon and see how that goes.  It worked for their machine, I'm hoping I'll get lucky too!

I really like Brother, personally.  (My new old machine is a Brother as well, though that's mostly coincidence)  I have no idea what kind of machine to go for some day in the distant future, as my mother swears by Bernina (oh man, don't I wish), my aunt by Husqvarna, and assorted sewing friends by Janome and Singer.  I'm starting to think the secret to picking a new machine is that there is no secret!

Your duckblind sounds pretty epic!  I've got to admit, I'm not jealous of the task, yikes.  I've never sewn burlap, but just being around it makes me sneeze, I can't even imagine doing all that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lissablair

I like my coffee like I like my men: pale & bitter

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011 04:24:49 PM »

And more importantly, where do you even FIND a 10' zipper?! LOL

THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is nothing on earth more entertaining than watching a pack of half-grown puppies playing in snow for the very first time.

http://www.wists.com/lissablair
graced

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011 06:01:43 AM »

Why,on a roll, at Hancock Fabrics, of course!

It's longer than that, actually, and comes with a BUNCH of the metal zipper pull things, so you can customize your own zippers!

Like this!]http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=zipper+on+a+roll&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=18061088972764606539&sa=X&ei=h_3cTeyQA5CctwfW-fywDw&ved=0CEcQ8wIwBA&biw=1259&bih=558#
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011 06:02:43 AM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011 05:39:46 PM »

Have you had any luck getting your machine fixed?

I have a Brother and this happens to me too. So frustrating!! I had the exact same issue as graced and replacing the bobbin case helped me. The old one was beat to crap with scratches and needle holes all over it.

Another thing that seemed to help was buying the bobbins that were specifically for the machine. Whenever I use the generic bobbins I get bad tangles.

Hope you got your issue resolved!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Model - Houdini Part 1/2
How to Model - Houdini Part 2/2
How to Sculpt Fluids - Houdini
How to Render Ambient Occulsion - Houdini
How to Create Auto Tracker Basics - Color
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...