A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
389 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting Featured Member Archive  (Read 3594 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lapoli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2011 04:13:33 AM »

Here's an archive for all of our fabulous featured members!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lapoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011 04:15:37 AM »

If you've spent anytime on the knitting boards, you are likely to have encountered Striker923.  Not only does she post beautiful projects, she's always willing to help out a knitter in need and to pop into almost any thread to admire others' finished works.  

Striker923 was kind enough to answer some questions about how she got started knitting, some of her knitting favorites, and other Craftster projects that inspire her.

How and when did you start knitting?

I started knitting about two to two-and-a-half years ago because I wanted to knit a Harry Potter house scarf.  One of my really good friends, fellow Craftster Kaiser Scissorhands, said, Why dont you check out Craftster.org, they have great resources!  Utterly amazed at the awesomeness of Craftster, I set out to my local big box craft store and purchased size 8 needles, a skein of Bernat Satin, and a book on learning to knit.  Another knitter was born!  Still have yet to make that Harry Potter scarf, ironically enough lol.

What was your first knitting project?

My first knitting project was half of a throw pillow but my first completed knitting project was a striped garter stitch scarf for my husband when he was still my fianc.  They are both lurking in the dark corners of Craftster somewhere.

Do you dabble in any other crafts? If so, which?

I recently taught myself to crochet this past summer and I do occasionally cross stitch.  Ive also done some embroidery and stenciling for a swap, but I can never stray far from knitting because I love it so!

What's your favorite FO?

This is a toughie as I like all my FOs!  But if I have to pick a favorite, Id have to say my first pair of socks.  I used Cookie A.s BFF Socks pattern and Opal Harry Potter yarn in the Ron colorway...cables and variegated (self-striping) yarn, whats not to love??

What's your favorite yarn? Book?

There are so many wonderful yarns out there! My favorite though is sadly discontinued: Knit Picks Essential/Stroll Kettledyed.  Such beautiful jewel tones and I love the slight semi-solid variegation of it.  Mirasol Nuna is a close second, merino/silk/bamboo blend...just gorgeous!

My favorite book is probably Alice Starmores Aran Knitting (New/Expanded edition).  There are some amazing cabled designs and I plan on making my mother St. Brigid for her birthday/Christmas gift 2011.

What's your favorite knitted FO someone else made?

Probably the very colorful, retro cape knitted by Blondiequeen88, just amazingly bright and cozy, and it looks fab on her!

Who are your favorite designers?

Cookie A., Alice Starmore, Kathy Zimmerman and Kirsten Hipsky (Webs in-house designer) off the top of my head, amongst several indie designers.  I tend to gravitate towards patterns themselves, more so than designer, but all of the above seldom design something I havent liked.

What's your favorite non-knitted FO?

My favorite non-knitted FO is probably the Zelda embroidery I did for the Legend of Zelda swap this past spring.  It was my first non-cross stitch piece and while it took me awhile to do, I really love how it came out.  I keep on meaning to do one for myself, but I really cant stop knitting long enough to do it...

What's your favorite non-knitted FO someone else made?

I really, really liked the hand painted tea tray that mouser882 crafted for the aforementioned Zelda swap.  While I do enjoy and drink tea, I would totally buy a proper tea set JUST to have this tea tray, haha.

It's the new year! Do you have any crafty resolutions?

Yay for a new year! I have several crafty resolutions: the first is to really try out new and different crafts, (but I only tend to do that for swaps, so maybe I should participate in more swaps as a resolution?), to knit more socks for me (as I mostly give them as gifts), and I also want to learn and practice a few techniques I havent really done like intarsia and entrelac.  I also would like work more with Malabrigo, try Madelinetosh yarn and find out what Noro is all about.
Normally I dont make new year resolutions (mostly because I set the bar to high so I never seem to keep them), but I have a feeling Ill be able to stand by most of these crafty ones  Cheesy

Thank you, Striker923, for all your contributions to our knitting board community!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lapoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011 04:58:45 AM »

This quarter's featured member is always happy to share her written patterns which run the gamut between alien face huggers to scarves and hats.  We admire her creativity and generosity for sharing so much with us, so this quarter's featured member, we're pleased to announce, is loudxmouse!

How and when did you start knitting?

My grandma started teaching me as a supplement to my homeschool education when I was about 9. I was seriosuly blessed with some crafty genes, so every other week I either learned to sew from one gran or knit from the other.

What was your first knitting project?

My first project was a garter knit scarf, on size 8 bamboo needles that my grandma bought in Hawaii. It was red wool and I gave it to my grandpa when I finished it. It took me forever and my grandma made me fix most of my mistakes as I went, so it took even longer. I think over all though, that mentality has shaped how I knit, so I don't hold it against her too much.

Do you dabble in any other crafts? If so, which?

I spin, make a bit of jewelry and book bind. I went to art school so I have dabbled in printmaking, silk screening, costuming, painting, and a few other things. Nothing has really "stuck" like knitting though.

What's your favorite FO?

My Andrea's Shawl. It was a Knitty Independent Designer pattern that I planned in my head from beginning to end. The body yarn was picked up during a local "yarn crawl", and the stripe color was spun by me for the project. I had an idea of how I wanted it to look, how I wanted the colors to stripe and it turned out just how I wanted!

What's your favorite yarn? Pattern book?

I really love KnitPicks Swish yarns. They are a great value, soft as heck, washable and knit up really well. I know that's not very lavish, but I would literally own that yarn in every colorway if I could.

I think the Stitch n' Bitch series by Debbie Stoler has been one of my favorites to pick up. The first book was pretty instrumental in my rediscovering knitting.

What's your favorite knitted FO made by someone else?

This list could be HUGE. My ravelry queue is overwhelmingly stuffed with gorgeous and tempting patterns right now.  Probably the totoro-version of the paperdoll sweater I love when people use a pattern as a platform for their own creativity.

Who are your favorite designers?

I adore Stephen West. I keep accidentally knitting his shawls and realizing they are his halfway through. He is a really solid designer and obviously his patterns really appeal to
me.

I also love Anna Hrachovec of MochiMochiLand fame. Her designs are so sweet and fun. I wish I could think like she does.

What's your favorite non-knitted FO?

Probably the ewoktopus. I am a huge nerd and loveandasandwich is a seriously talented lady.

Did you make any crafty new years resolutions?

One year I resolved to not buy any more yarn. That February I learned to spin. Since then, for the sake of my wallet and my sanity, I have not made any crafty resolutions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011 10:42:11 AM »

Congrats LoudxMouse!

You should totally knit the Totoro paperdolls mod...that is a rockin' sweater! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

five-star astro navigatrix

In a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011 11:36:16 AM »

Thank you striker! It's on my wishlist, for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | sts spring Marketpinterest
Caught hexi-puff fever? PM to personal swap for sock weight yarn.
Would love to personal swap for MYB or spinning stuff too!
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011 11:40:45 AM »

loudxmouse is the bomb!  Grin Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011 06:11:42 PM »

Yay LoudxMouse!! This is a great feature, lapoli! I enjoyed the interview.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Teeisme

That's my boy, Petey!

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011 10:44:18 PM »

LOVE that tan/taupe cap!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tee
finished the 100 ATC Theme Challenge!!
I'm the ATC - DT in a new Vintage group. Come join me   http://vintageflaire.ning.com/
bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011 03:06:57 PM »

loudxmouse is the bomb!  Grin Kiss

I second that!

Anybody else notice that she looks like Emma Stone in some of her photos? Jealous...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy International Vietnamese Spring Rolls
Shanghai Pork/Easy International
Takoyaki to go with your Beer
Some basic ingredients for Chinese food
Seasoning A New Carbon Steel Wok - Chinese cooking
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...