A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,809
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with pattern  (Read 177 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: November 23, 2015 12:22:04 PM »

Hi,  I'm just getting back into knitting and don't have much experience with patterns. Currently I'm making a roll neck sweater.  I have completed the back, and am now at the point where I have to shape the neck and shoulders on the front.  I am a bit confused, because the pattern is saying to knit the armholes until they measure 7 1/2"  when the back armholes are 8".  Here is what it says.

Work same as for back until armholes measure 7 1/2(8-8 1/2-8 1/2-9), end on WS 74(84-90-94-104) sts.

Note:  Work decs at left edge of neck as SSK, k3.  Work decs at right edge of neck as k3, KSP.

Shape Neck:  K21(26-29-31-36), join another hank of yarn and bind off center 32 sts, k to end.  Working both sides at once, dec 1 st at each neck edge as in note every RS row 3 times.  AT THE SAME TIME, when armholes measure 8(8 1/2-9-9-9 1/2), end on WS.

Shape Shoulders:  Bind off 6(7-8-10-11) sts at each armhole edge once, then 6(8-9-9-11) sts twice.

This doesn't seem to make sense to me.  Shouldn't I be doing it the same as the back, except for the 3 decreases on the neck edge (the back only had two). 

It seems to be saying that the armhole is going to increase to 8" somehow during the process of shaping the neck.  I don't see how this can happen!

Looks to me as if someone has messed up on typing the pattern.   Or maybe I'm just not understanding it.

I'd really appreciate some input on this.

Thank you!

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015 05:57:04 PM »

You're shaping the neck which is lower in front than in the back and is a bit wider, so you will be making more rows and end up at 8" before you begin the shoulder shaping. Follow the instructions as given and it will make sense when you get there.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015 10:52:44 AM »

Many thanks for your reply.  I did actually figure this out eventually, LOL  Now almost finished first sleeve.  Smiley
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015 02:55:47 PM »

Now I'm wondering whether it's better to use a regular bind-off or a stretchy bind-off on the sleeves.  Any suggestions?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chocolate Peanut Butter Treat Recipe
Simple and Satisfying Sliders Recipe
Quick Easy Recipes for Busy Moms
Truffles Mac and Cheese Recipe
Baked Rice and Peas with Chicken Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...