A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 315,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How Do You Store Your Yarn?  (Read 222 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RovingAnarchist
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2016 05:41:47 AM »

I'm moving into a new place this weekend, which is the perfect opportunity to re-think my yarn storage (and my fabric storage, and my tool storage, and and and- well, you get the idea! Grin). Currently, I keep my yarn in a big plastic tote box, which is a) somewhat unsightly, and b) I always have to take everything out to find what I need. And the yarn tends to unwind itself from the balls and get tangled in the process. I'm thinking about going to the dollar store and investing in lingerie washing bags to keep the balls with their mates- there's nothing worse than being 3/4s of the way through a project and not being able to find that last skein you know was there last time you looked!

I really want to get rid of the ugly plastic box. Looking at it is plain old de-inspiring. Not just uninspiring. That would sort of be a neutral outcome. I find the sight of unnecessary plastic hanging around makes me feel like i don't deserve to make nice things, if that makes sense.

Which brings me to my next idea, which was to use Craigslist to find a small dresser on the Free Stuff board. It doesn't really matter what it looks like- hey, I'm a Craftster! We can gussy up anything! There's a company called Solutions (clearly founded by someone with OCD Wink) that sells all manner of drawer dividers and that sort of stuff. If I had those, I could designate each drawer for a colour family and know at a glance what's what.

We all know the terrible secret of serious knitters- we all have a stash, and it's much bigger than we admit to. How do you store it? And do you have a way to keep track of it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I carry a bag that says FREE KNITTING LESSONS on my daily transit commute, & give a little hands-on tutorial to anyone who asks. They get a starter kit with needles, enough cotton yarn to make a plain dishcloth and a set of instructions. Swaps/donations for materials welcome!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Make a Sushi Hand Roll
Sushi: How to Make Pickled Ginger
How to Cut Fish for Sashimi
How to Prepare a Sushi Plate
Making Tuna Maki
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Bean Burgers
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...