A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Slap Your Momma Good" Strawberry Shortcake  (Read 5009 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , strawberry_shortcake  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hilarei
« on: April 05, 2011 09:18:49 AM »

i came upon this recipe in 2004 while searching for the perfect Strawberry Shortcake to make for my husband's grandmother's 70th birthday.  Strawberry Shortcake is her favorite, and she said this was the best she'd ever had! the cake is not spongy like angel food cake. it has the flavor of a delicious waffle, but more dense and crumbly.

you need 6 cups strawberries total.
Filling:
5c strawberries
2-3 Tbs sugar.

cut 4c. in halves or thirds.  coarsely mash add 1 cup sliced strawberries. mix with sugar. cover and refrigerate.

Shortcakes:
2c. flour
1Tbs. baking powder
2 Tbs sugar
10 Tbs (1/2c. + 2Tbs) COLD butter
1/2 tsp. salt.
3/4c heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
  preheat oven to 425. stir together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder.  using a pastry blender or two forks, cut in butter to pea-sized chunks.  stir in heavy cream to form a soft dough. turn onto lightly floured surface (may be crumbly). knead a little to help it stick. separate into two balls. (i make one slightly smaller. i use this as the top so it doesn't smoosh all the filling out of the sides Wink )  flatten balls in 2, well-buttered, 9-in round pans.(not all the way to edges) bake for 13-14 minutes, until golden brown.
removed to cooling racks. spread 1Tbs. butter on the top of designated bottom cake, and 1Tbs. the bottom of top cake. cool.

Whipped Cream:
whip 2c heavy cream with 1/2c powdered sugar (or to taste) and 2 tsp vanilla to stiff peaks.

to assemble:
  spread 1/3 of whipped cream on top of bottom cake. spread filling (you may want to strain off some of the juice and set aside for drizzling),top with another 1/3 of whipped cream. add top cake. top with remaining whipped cream and sliced remaining strawberries (or you can use extra strawberries in the filling and save some for the top)  DEVOUR!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011 05:23:00 AM by hilarei » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rantyhippie
Carnivore Extrordinaire

Drunken Crafter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011 09:44:29 AM »

well, there goes my diet! I totally have to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you have some spare roving you're willing to part with? Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!

Respect ghosts and gods, but keep away from them -Confucius
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011 10:34:15 AM »

I don't make shortcakes because nobody here likes angelfood and pound cake seems clunky or something. I have to try this! Thanks for sharing! (They're beautiful, too!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
hilarei
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011 11:37:32 AM »

didn't mean to be a diet ruiner :/  but i'm glad i could help out, graced.  please let me know what you think, if you try it (and remember me Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SailorMaat
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011 07:43:45 PM »

This looks and sounds delicious. I'm going to have to try this.
I've never made a strawberry shortcake before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arcadian green
I wants flies in on dragons!

I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011 07:57:13 AM »

Mmmm this looks so good. I love Angel Food cake but I really want to try this recipe to see if I would like it better this way.  Thanks for the recipe!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BuffaloGal
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011 10:07:49 AM »

These look absolutely delicious!  I'll definitely be giving these a try - I've got tons of strawberries from a recent strawberry festival, now I've something to use them in.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.candeystore.com Custom frosting sheets & custom fabric.
http://craftcandey.etsy.com - cool beads for cool people!
rubylynns
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011 04:42:30 AM »

using a pastry blender or two forks, cut in butter to pea-sized chunks.

Wow that looks so good I can't wait till we have some good strawberries!
I want to make this but every recipe that I try where I have to use a pastry blender it just doesn't come out right.  Anyone have any tips for me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hilarei
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011 07:10:52 AM »

(before i got a pasty blender i had to use the forks. the blender is easier to hold... but the forks do the job)

anyway, my best suggestion is just find the big lumps and smash them as best you can. cut the butter into smaller chunks (as opposed to throwing the whole stick in). after i throw the butter in the bowl, i bring some the flour up on top, covering the butter. this way, the butter doesn't stick to the blender as much.  i do have to occasionally scrape the butter off and keep going.  sometimes my blender tries to slide out and knocks flour out of the bowl :/    when it's mixed it will look like a crumbly flour mixture

does that help???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Boxy Coats for Every Body Type
Win A Pair of $195 Sheepskin Boots
How to Style Winter Boots!
3 Red Carpet Looks for Less
Check Out the Sexiest After-Party Gowns from the Golden Globes
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...