A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lack of Motivation (not to be confused with lack of inspiration)  (Read 585 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

indigo flower girl
« on: April 05, 2011 09:05:59 AM »

I love to sew, I really do, but lately (past several months) I am just totally lacking the motivation to actually start any of the projects I dream up.  Or if I do start one, I don't always finish it.  I have plenty of ideas, but just have trouble following through!  Just wondering if this happens to anyone else, and what you do to combat it?  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011 09:17:11 AM »

That happens to me, too, and I just switch to knitting!  Wink  That OR I make a gift, something that HAS to be completed, and that'll get me out of the funk, OR I make something super, super simple that can be started and finished in a day.  Mostly, though, if I'm not feeling it, I listen to that instinct, keep notes of my ideas, and find something else to do until I feel like getting back to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011 12:42:03 PM »

This has been happening to me all the time lately - I want to do things, really, but I just don't have the motivation. My list of things to make just keeps growing without much of it getting done. For me, part of it is being tired out from doing a ton of other things. When I get enough time off from those things and tell myself I will start a project, that's usually enough to get me motivated to work on it.
I'm looking forward to the responses in this thread to see if anyone has any tricks to get going that I might try too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PUFFYsanjo
Why does D.W. have a bowling ball in her room!?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011 08:55:31 PM »

Do you get encouragement? I would imagine that that would help. I also have a lack of motivation for sewng, as well as for other things, but that I believe is due to not being raised encouragingly. My mother calls the creative things that I buy to make things "junk," and that brings down my spirits. I also haven't started anything since I don't have the funds to buy necessary materials and tools.

Just have your family or friends encourage you to finish your projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
CeeJayRose
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011 01:44:14 PM »

Yup...sounds like me...

I know that sometimes all it takes is starting. Once I start I can go nonstop until it's done. But starting is hard. Especially when my work place is a mess (which currently is a sewing table in my living room and my kitchen table to do everything else on lol...so it's pretty much always full of stuff...)

Or else just cleaning up my work place can sometimes help.

Umm...do you have any sketches of your ideas? Maybe if you could pin your sketches up somewhere or something so you always see them then it will make you want to actually do it?

Hmm...so yeah...I'll be watching this for ideas. And I'll post more if anything comes to mind.

PS What do you do? I sew clothing and sometimes going shopping motivates me because I see things that I know I could make or something so then it motivates me to go make it...I tend to not buy a whole lot of clothing from stores anymore. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joanna Luge
Retro Swimwear

Retro Swimsuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011 11:51:00 AM »

You are probably being overwhelmed with all the options.  YOu need to just find your most favorite passionate one and stick with it and forget that there are any other options.  Its easy to get distracted especially when things arent going your way.  Stick with it and you will get it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.retroswimwear.com
Designer Joanna Luge
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gloucester Inspires Novel: Beauty
What Would You Sacrifice for a Second Chance?
Noggin by John Corey Whaley Book Trailer
The Real Life of John Wayne, a Hollywood and American Icon
Southern Minute with Fannie Flagg
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...