Disclaimer: No books that were already intact were harmed in the process of making these lampshades.
Last spring at school, the admin was trying to entice students to hang out in their new student study lounge. A few of us realized that it was entirely too dark in there to successfully read or do classwork, and we decided to change that.
I went to a local antiques consignment store and found a pair of lamps for about $20. Their bases were nice with some gold and blue features, but the lampshades were just ugly. Not to mention that they would have fluorescent bulbs, and the old lamp shades just didn't filter the light the way I wanted.
Being who I am, I started picking at the outside ruffles on the lampshade until I had managed to rip one off, and was happy to find that there wasn't too much leftover glue on it.
Once the old stuff was off, it was a matter of deciding what to put on it instead. I got assistance from thelastkodama
, who had recently found half of a book outside the library. We pulled the pages apart and tore them into easy-to-glue strips. With a bunch of mod-podge, we got the lamps coated pretty well.
And finally they were done! We added some ribbon trim to the top and bottom.
We found a nice white and gold pattern that almost had a Greek feel, that really seemed to fit with the bases.
And a last note on the trim: When we were at the store, we hadn't thought to actually measure how much ribbon we needed to go around the top and the bottom of both lamp shades. We estimated, and were extremely lucky to be short by only about one inch
. Thelastkodama thought it would be nice to use that space to leave our mark on our craft, for students to see (hopefully) for years to come.
Thanks for taking a look at my first posting! Cheerio!