A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fake Shashi. Cass-shi bracelet. Linen + Metal bead bracelet, boho/Indian.  (Read 1363 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cassiecate57
« on: April 04, 2011 10:44:08 AM »

I got inspired by looking at these types of bracelets. I stared at it for awhile trying to decide where to start with the project. Do you start at the square knots with the beads? Do you start at the left or right end with the final/starting knot? How do you do that slider thingy?

I made my own bracelet using linen and square metal beads from JoAnn for $4 supplies (I have enough linen for infinity bracelets and enough beads for 2).

I used a few videos on YouTube to refresh on my ole' square knot (for hemp bracelets). The realization for me came when I realized that knot for the slider is a SEPARATE piece of the bracelet (the tutorial I looked at had two separate colors to emphasize this).

It's not *perfect* but for about a dollar in materials, I'm happy with it. It's also supposed to be simple and kind of messy. A little carefree, boho-ish.

Waxed Linen: $2 for a huge spool (used about ~14 feet?), thinner is better. you can experiment with other string options. I Looked for Nymo but didn't find it. I also didn't look that hard.
Silver square beads: $2 (22 pc, used 12 here), bigger holes are better. The bead will need to go through two carrier strings of whatever type of string you decide on...
I would also suggest a clipboard/board+nail for the project. It's hard to keep the knots stable.

Instructions:
1. Make a small (1/2" or less) loop by tying a knot in two equal length pieces of waxed linen, about 3-4' each, halved to 18"-2'. Do a square knot to start the bracelet.
2. Then place your first bead on the carrier strings. square knot it to secure it.
3. Leave about 3" empty space (no knots) then make a regular OH knot. This is where your 10 beads will start.
4. Square knot, bead, square knot, bead til you get your 10 beads threaded. Finish the 10 beads with a square knot.
5. Leave another 3" with no knots to match the beginning of the bracelet. This is the end of the bracelet and the beginning of your slider closure.
6. After the 3" blank area, leave another 2-3". This is where your adjustable area will be (it needs to be bigger than your wrist in order to get the bracelet on/off).
7. Thread your final bead into your last square knot, make another small (1/2" or less) loop to match the other end. Trim excess.
To make the slider closure, view the Slider Knot closure tutorial. You can use a contrasting color or stick with the same color. Either way! I left the ends a little straggly on the slider closure.

I'm NOT a master jeweler. I'm totally a novice. I'm sure anything you made would look more cleaned up, professional and cute but I wanted to share the skeleton of this project to anyone who doesn't want to spend $18+ on a friggin' linen bracelet.

Next round, I'm going to try pink embroidery floss and metal beads. I want a whole stack of 'em.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
&blog
˙˙˙ǝɹǝɥ pɐɯ ןןɐ ǝɹ,ǝʍ

timshel
imera
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011 11:43:51 AM »

That is really cute, looks pretty simple
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftFro

I'm all beady these days.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011 09:28:27 PM »

I know this is an old thread, but I like the bracelet and have a supply question... did you find the waxed linen at JoAnn's? I asked a clerk and she had no clue what I was talking about. Do you know what section it was in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm addicted to polyclay and beads right now. HELP!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Three Big Style Mistakes Women Make
Get Your Fashion Week Trends For Less
H&M Launching High End Line In London
Life-Changing Makeover Revealed
How To Dress For A Sporting Event
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...