A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,912
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: question for organizers.  (Read 1152 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 04, 2011 08:27:59 AM »

for all of you lovely women who organize swaps i have a question.

would you rather have someone sign up for international shipping  (even knowing some countries are notoriously awful and slow, im looking at you canada post) or sign up limited to within their own country?

i can only assume that a lot of people only want to ship within their own country (and that can be difficult if you have a limited number of international shippers)  but a long ship time keeps the swap open a long time.  seems both options have downsides but what is your opinion?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011 08:31:10 AM »

Having swappers who are willing to swap internationally sometimes works the best for partnering.  If I have two swappers who seem perfect for each other, but one is in a different country, it sometimes makes me sad. Sad

So, from an organizing point of view, it's definitely easier if you can have all your swappers ship internationally.

From a swapping point of view, though, I can really understand why people would want to limit how often or which swaps they're willing to ship internationally.  It's more expensive and it takes longer and sometimes, I don't have the patience to wait for a package to take six-eight weeks to arrive.  That being said, on signups where I write that I'd prefer to not ship internationally, I also make a note that if my perfect partner is on a different continent, I'd be fine with it. Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011 02:00:48 PM »

... on signups where I write that I'd prefer to not ship internationally, I also make a note that if my perfect partner is on a different continent, I'd be fine with it. Smiley 

Ooooo! I love that! What perfect phrasing. I'm going to steal that idea  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SevsOnlyGirl

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011 04:52:51 PM »

I feel the same way lapoli does.  I will add that as a swapper, if I send internationally I try to send light items or a couple of packages to keep the shipping cost down AND get them there faster.  As an organiser, it would be wonderful if everyone would offer to ship internationally, but I understand if they won't. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011 02:42:58 AM »

I usually write in my form that I'd prefer a partner in Europe if it's possible since it cuts down shipping time and costs. But of course I'll send anywhere, I want to play and most of you are in the US after all Smiley I agree that a perfect partner match is more important than where that partner lives.

I've been asked if I could take on a partner that didn't completely match with some things I had written in my form because she couldn't swap otherwise and that became one of my best swaps. So you never know.

I wonder... Perhaps some of those perfect matches would agree to send international if asked. I realise some might not be able to afford the postage, but it can't hurt to ask, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FinRaziel
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011 07:19:06 AM »

author=Annchen link=topic=377432.msg4468572#msg4468572 date=1302774178
I wonder... Perhaps some of those perfect matches would agree to send international if asked. I realise some might not be able to afford the postage, but it can't hurt to ask, right?

i totally agree with that annchen, and i've pmed ppl before signups have ended, bc i saw a perfect match and i asked them if they would rather ship within their country with someone who may not be ideal or ship outside their country with someone who matches really well with their preferences. i tell them either way is completely fine with me i just wanted to ask. .

i think international swapping makes swaps more exciting and im always willing to take on an international partner. but i totally do understand how some people would not want to due to excessive shipping costs. i just dont think its fair when people say they dont want to ship overseas bc they dont want to wait extra time to get a package...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011 04:23:59 PM by alteredmommy - Reason: fixed quote :) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

make a friend swap: planning/crafting
one tiny stuffie round 5: crafting!

15/50 projects in 2011: link

wists.com/FinRaziel
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011 08:29:08 AM »

As an organizer, I also find it sad when a perfect match can't be made because they can't ship that far... something that I've done was ask people who had said they'd prefer US only if they would send to Canada too, and it was okay. I've also see questionnaires that said they'd ship to the same continent, and that's also very good for the organizer to find good partners. As a swapper, I sometimes sneak in a Europe-only swap or ask someone I know to join a swap with me because yes, the short shipping duration is delicious Grin but I also do swaps that ship everywhere, because from Germany, all countries cost the same meanwhile if I stay under four pounds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susanab
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011 08:13:18 AM »

on signups where I write that I'd prefer to not ship internationally, I also make a note that if my perfect partner is on a different continent, I'd be fine with it. Smiley 

sometimes, when I'm just not feeling particularly international, I'll write a similar note: "Prefer not, but will if you need me."

THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...