A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thomas the Tank Engine Bean Bag Toss!  (Read 606 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sallymayhomer
Happiness by Hand

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2011 06:45:40 AM »

I received a sewing book from my mom for Christmas and it had a great little pattern in it for a book holder that hangs off the side of the bed. I used a cute Thomas the Tank Engine fabric and when I had leftovers I pondered what to do with it. NO CLUE where it came from but I thought bean bag toss! The fabric was only enough to make the little bean bags so I went to the store and got a different fabric to make the big part.

My first thought was to make it on a hanger like a diaper stacker, but I didnt have any hangers with a swiveled hook so at the last minute I used my bias tape as a handle. This is the new fabric; I bought a yard of it (way more than needed) and a yard of a matching blue and they (as usual) tossed in a free matching thread (perk of buying from a small business).

I took the patterned fabric and cut out 2 big images that I liked
One I used as the main front image and the other I used the name at the top from it.

Heres the easy part, I took the initial scrap fabric and folded it until I had an even number of squares that looked the right size and cut it up (I ended up with 16, making 8 bean bags). I put the right sides together and sewed up the edges leaving a good inch and a half open and then flipped it right side out.

Then I filled them with dry beans and sewed them closed

Then came the hard part, Ive only sewed less than 10 things, ever, and since there was no pattern out there I had to wing it. I laid out the solid color pattern and folded it in half and the dang thing didnt lay out right, it was cut poorly (you should always check how they cut it before you buy it!) but luckily it was just enough room for the image to fit.

I opened it back up laid the large image wrong side up where I wanted it, took a cup and drew on the circles. I cut the circles out and then laid it back in position, right side up, took the same cup and placed it in the hole and lifted off the image and made the markings for the circle on the main fabric. Lather, rinse, repeat. I then pinned everything down and only sewed up the outside edge of the square and the rectangular name above as well.
I then took the double fold bright green bias tape I had left from the other project and thank the stars it was just enough to edge the circles and make a loop to hang the whole mess. Since Im a beginner I took some fabric glue and glued the fabric tape first and then secured it after with a zigzag stitch. And I thought knitting in the round was fun!

I took the selvage edges of the main fabric (right sides together) and folded the whole thing in half. Sewed along the edge and the bottom and then flipped it right side out. Im positive there is a better way to do this but I didnt know how so I winged this whole thing, if anyone knows feel free to post it in the replies so anyone wanting to try this will have a better result than me!!

Not sure how to explain this part, wish I took pictures while I was making it but its was midnight at this point and I was in a craft haze trying to finish so I could go to bed (because of course I couldnt finish the next dayeye roll, shakin my head). I needed to make the bottom flat so I could put in a piece of cardboard and I decided to just sew along the outside edges where I wanted the sides to be, you can kind of see it in the finished picture of the bean bags on the left side. Then I stuck in a piece of cardboard and headed north.

This is where I finally decided not to use a hanger. And I did something really weird I sewed the top shut and tucked in the top, pushed it in, not sure how else to say it, like making a basket lining? No. Meh, I tried. At any rate it made a nest for the other piece of cardboard and then I sewed the top shut with the handle in place. Done! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We should all fear evil men, but what we should fear most, is the indifference of good men. On a lighter note..have you smiled today? If you have not, Just DO IT! If you have..do it again!
Tropic_Rose

Radical She-ite

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011 09:43:21 AM »

LOLm at the craft haze. You sound like me. I assume the cardboard is to keep it open so the balls can go in? Good work! Looks like a fun toy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is better to have crafted and failed then never to have crafted at all.
Yes, I am stalking the Toys and Playthings board. Thanks for noticing!
I'm cheating on Craftster with Pinterest. It's ok though. There's overlap.
gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011 04:10:37 PM »

My nephew loves Thomas!  He would love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NotKnit

My best works.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011 09:18:23 AM »

Neat, my son would love this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Paleo Stuffed Peppers
Perfect Tailgate Foods: Healthy Sausage Options
Favorite Game Day Treats Under 300 Calories
How to Make a Breakfast Burger
Dry Rubbed Smoked BBQ Ribs
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...