A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hearts Hearts Hearts  (Read 763 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DarleneC
« on: April 03, 2011 12:40:35 AM »

Hubby bought me some Pearl-Ex powders and I just had to try them out. These are not quite complete yet. I'm sure sure what to use on them to protect them. I've heard Future floor polish works. I've never used it before. My question is does the Future rub off? Is there something better to use? I would like to use something that won't rub off because these may be touching skin when worn. BTW my favorite is the green one and I don't really like green. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, youre still a rat.
Lily Tomlin
tiffi_333
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011 07:33:49 AM »

I've used a varathane before, it works really well and I haven't had a problem with it rubbing off when you wear it. If you use future I've heard some people find that it stays tacky but you can put what you made back in the oven on low temp to fix that. I got a big container of varathane for like 5-10 bucks and it's lasted FOREVER(just make sure its the one that dries clear and pick from matte finish or a higher gloss)...I filled a small bottle up with it so I didn't have to hassle with the whole container each time I made something and I still haven't had to refill it after several projects. If you have a problem with the powder moving around when you glaze it, you can get nice spray stuff so you don't have to worry about it, but I doubt you'd have a big problem since these hearts are one solid colour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011 09:35:07 AM »

Nice hearts!  Cool to use texturing/stamping with metallic powders/etc too, whether the colorants are completely covering the clay or just highlighting or antiquing them.  It all looks great.

As for adding a clear finish, neither Future nor a polyurethane should rub off once applied or need "protecting" as long as the powder was well rubbed into the clay while raw (in fact, then you wouldn't need a sealer at all unless you just wanted more high-gloss), or at least any excess powder removed before coating.
Also, avoid brushing or scrubbing the finish on too much...you can even try "dipping." You can also btw mix mica powder into any of the sealers when you apply them if desired.

Future is kind of thin so keep that in mind if it matters.  Varathane (one brand of polyurethane) has something called IPN (interpenetrating network) in the Gloss Indoor version which gets down into the surface even more than other polyurethanes.  It's also UV-resistant.
Some of the other possibilities for clear finishes won't be as "hard" and resistant to scratching or later cloudiness from humidity as those though.

Any of the finishes can stay a bit tacky for awhile (and any can be subjected to 200-250 heat for 5-10 minutes to "harden" the finish more quickly), but using a finish that's not water-based can definitely do that and be a real problem later.

If you're interested, you can read much more about all kinds of finishes and how to use them with polymer clay on this page:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm
And here's more about using mica powders and other metallic powders and waxes:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/powders_metallicwaxes.htm
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011 08:02:49 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Think
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011 11:48:49 AM »

Aww those are so cute Smiley I really like the blue one especially! I'm new to polymer clay and I had been wondering about what finish to use as well. I like the suggestions mentioned. Need to do some research to see if/where varathane is available in Canada.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The big picture may be amazing but it's the little details that inspire.
DarleneC
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011 04:13:28 AM »

Thank you tiffi_333 and Diane B. I really appreciate the info and I hope to get them finished this weekend.

I'm glad you like them Think. I'm still pretty new to polymer clay and I have so much to learn and it sure is fun learning  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, youre still a rat.
Lily Tomlin
imera
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011 02:29:36 AM »

These are really pretty, love the green one Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style a Side Bun
Michelle Obama Sports Brand New Highlighted Do
4 Top Celebrity Hair Trends Anyone Can Do
Best Products For Voluminous Hair
Bed Head Hair For Effortless Style
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...