A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Engaged and now planning a red/black wedding of nerdy goodness!!  (Read 4122 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thrila

I kinda do things @_@;;

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2011 11:52:20 PM »

Hi everyone! I don't post here super often, I'm more of lurker on Craftster.

My boyfriend proposed to me on February 26 after going out for almost a year. He got me this awesome ring, and was cool enough to listen to my qualms about not wanting an expensive one (I really don't like costly things, they bother me).

http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_570xN.218094256.jpg

We are really trying to aim for May of next year, but it all depends on if we can get the money. I'm not trying to blow a whole bunch on it, because again I just don't like expensive things. If financially we can't bear it next year, we're going to aim for the year after.

The theme we wanted for our wedding is something that reflects us, but also those we grew up with/raised us. We both come from nerdy backgrounds, he is a complete gamer (along with all his friends) and I'm a comic book nerd. We both dabble in the other's hobby, so it's not like two completely different worlds. But this is why we settled on a video game/comic book/general nerdy theme for the wedding.

I'm mainly doing all the planning for the wedding (getting my fiance's input here and there) the fiance is planning the honeymoon. We also agreed on it being red and black.

I'll be crafting a majority of it, but for now, inspiration pictures!

I got all my stuff down Grin

The fiance wanted to wear something like this:

http://www.mariasilvaphoto.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/silva_2010a-34.jpg

Except instead of a jacket, he'd wear a vest. Also, red converses Cheesy

His groomsmen will be dressed in something similar to:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4991469716_85816c9c08_z.jpg

I'd prefer if my bridesmaids wear whatever dress they'd like, so long as it's about knee length and red. (I really like how it looks when bridesmaids wear different dresses)

I've got some decorations and what not lined up to make after I finish my portfolio review at the end of the month, so I'll be making sure to update this with my progress!

I hope you'll all like it Smiley
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011 07:50:12 AM by kategirl - Reason: Please do not hot link images. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011 07:39:46 AM »

Congratulations! Your inspiration images look great, you definitely have a solid theme to get you started with! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bestanimatedshort
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011 07:41:33 AM »

Red and black nerd wedding?  Sounds awesome!  I look forwards to reading more about it!

Do you know what you're going to do for the cake?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps are cool.
thrila

I kinda do things @_@;;

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011 03:01:58 PM »

Red and black nerd wedding?  Sounds awesome!  I look forwards to reading more about it!

Do you know what you're going to do for the cake?

The fiance actually explicitly said he wanted tons of cupcakes, with a small cake for just the two of us. I'll probably pay my younger brother to do it, as he is going to school for pastry arts (and I said I'd vouch for him for extra credit from his teachers  Tongue)

http://static.weddingandcakes.com/wcakes/2010/07/cupcake-wedding-cakes.jpg

Something like this maybe.

I wanted the personal cake to be this (we had purchased a Big Top cupcake mold a few years ago). I also want to do similar cake toppers.

I'm trying to search out venues. I really don't care where the thing is, so long as it's on the cheaper side and I can decorate ^^ But that seems to be harder said than done.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011 07:55:46 AM by alteredmommy - Reason: please do not hot link images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SailorMaat
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011 03:26:29 PM »

If your looking for a reception hall. I recommend a local military like hall. In Canada we have The Royal Canadian Legion. We also have a Lions Club and RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force) They all have halls to rent. Usually cheep. They are all forms of halls run by military or something like that groups. You do not have to be a member to use them.
We used the Legion for our wedding reception. It was $250 I believe for a hall that can hold 300 people.
Just a thought.
We were going for as cheep but nice looking as possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thrila

I kinda do things @_@;;

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011 10:15:02 PM »

If your looking for a reception hall. I recommend a local military like hall. In Canada we have The Royal Canadian Legion. We also have a Lions Club and RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force) They all have halls to rent. Usually cheep. They are all forms of halls run by military or something like that groups. You do not have to be a member to use them.
We used the Legion for our wedding reception. It was $250 I believe for a hall that can hold 300 people.
Just a thought.
We were going for as cheep but nice looking as possible.

I know exactly what you're talking about but for the life of me I can't remember the actual term for that kind of place. I't makes searching on Google impossible. If I can find something like that for the same rate, I'd actually have more money in my budget to use on things like decorations and favors.

We found a ceremony site we are really liking. We'll probably be going to visit it in a few weeks to see if it really is like in the picture. http://www.washingtonmarketpark.org/gazebo/

I'm just trying to figure out how you arrange people around a gazebo. We're given 4 chairs (which'll be for both of our grandparents), and we're contemplating letting the rest sit around the gazebo on picnic blankets (we say a little performance there where people say around the gazebo on the ground).

http://www.elizabethannedesigns.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Wedding-Picnic-Reception-500x332.jpg

If the gazebo is indeed just as nice as it looks, it knocks off a really frustrating part of this planning, as it's impossible to find a cheap place in New York for have a wedding ceremony!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011 07:54:58 AM by alteredmommy - Reason: please do not hot link images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
danger.kitty
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011 11:28:17 PM »

I know exactly what you're talking about but for the life of me I can't remember the actual term for that kind of place. I't makes searching on Google impossible.
I think they called VFW for short in America?  That's where Hank's dad on King of the Hill goes to hang out Tongue  http://www.vfw.org/ Perhaps you can find links to local chapters on their website.

Otherwise, great inspirations!  I love the look of the gazebo for your wedding and the relaxed atmosphere sitting on picnic blankets would lend. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Crafty Aunt:  taking on 2011 one DIY gift at a time
http://craftyaunty.blogspot.com/
SailorMaat
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011 01:43:08 AM »

Ya I cant think of a term used for that kind of club like hall.
I hope that you do find a place that is nice. I'm sure it will be amazing no matter what.
If you plan on having people sit on the ground for the ceremony. May I suggest that you go to different parts around the gazebo and sit. Make sure that people can see everything.
We had an outdoor wedding. It was in a courtyard that had businesses all in the building that the courtyard was in. We originally planned to have people stand. Then realized that it could be uncomfortable for people to stand. We managed to borrow a lot of chairs for family members that would have to sit. It worked out great. Having a short ceremony was helpful also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
troll1984
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011 06:16:10 AM »

Your inspiration so far looks great. We were able to have our wedding for about $2000 in 2004 and it was pretty good for the budget. I really like that location for the ceremony too, but it said that you can't have blankets or chairs in the grass on their rules page Sad If you are planning a short ceremony, people can just stand around (unless it's going to be a lot of people). I think that I'd prefer standing to sitting on concrete.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashley's Wife, Austin and Allie's Mommy!

My Photography, My Blog, My Shop, My Wist
Alexus1325
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011 01:16:47 PM »

Congratulations! I just thought I'd mention that the dress Dita is wearing is Roland Mouret's "Galaxy" dress. It just so happens that Vogue ripped off the design in an Easy Options pattern:

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8280-products-6705.php?page_id=857

McCall's has a version with princess seams instead of darts, but it's out of print:

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m5269-products-4927.php?page_id=521

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011 01:22:11 PM by Alexus1325 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Macro/Close-up Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Landscape Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Kids/Pets Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Fireworks Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Dusk/Dawn Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...