A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 16 yo son wants to be an artist  (Read 3282 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyAly
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012 08:39:25 AM »

First and foremost he will need to take some art classes.  These classes will probably be pushing him to draw realistically but even if that is not the "style" he is interested in he should take it seriously because a good foundation will be necessary.  Learning to draw realistically teaches how to match shapes, values and colors so that he can draw his images with more accuracy.

As a college illustration professor (I graduated with my BFA in Illustration with a minor in Painting in May and started Grad school in July.....I've been teaching since last August) the most common thing I see is students who are interested in cartooning who do not take their drawing and/or life drawing classes seriously. They think that because they're interested in drawing in a cartoon style that drawing realistically is of no use to them......WRONG!  Those are the students who wind up not able to cartoon well!  We have a number of students go through our Illustration program who wind up in the tattoo business.....it's the one who take ALL of their classes seriously that wind up doing well.

If your local college doesn't have a really good art program he may want to consider going elsewhere because a poor art program won't get him anywhere.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

You took the words right out of my mouth. It is a tough economy, but if your son really has some talent he can make a good living as a Tattoo artist. I would really try to get him to reconsider abandoning baseball if he can get a scholarship, because money is money, but in the same breath I wouldn't push him. If he is really serious about art and you want to support him getting him enrolled in classes is key. I would also but him lots of supplies and make sure he is honing his skills on his own time as well. If he really wants to compete he needs to be working on his craft everyday. It might be worth taking a look at Utrecht to save some money on supplies, especially if you buy in bulk. It's really great that he found something he is passionate about, and its even better that you support him. I think that's one of the most important keys to success. Good luck! I hope it all works out for him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockingbearranch
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013 04:52:23 AM »

He should stay in the sport if he can get a scholarship. Finish his degree possibly slower and take the random art classes he feels he needs after reviewing the feedback on that professor from other students. I wouldn't even bother doing it as a minor or second major though he may need to tell the college that to get into the classes. Work or intern at the tat shop part time.

I've never known tat artists that attended school for art, though they are well studied. I find that much of art school is a waste of money. The relevant info is in the books and spending time memorizing who painted what, which year, is not going to benefit him much in the long term, especially with instant info available on the web. He needs a mentor and community of artists to help him improve. In school you are getting a grade, in competition with your fellow students. It is not as collaborative and may be downright cut throat.

With economic projections, you need to be as employable as possible. Especially young men. All of the 15-19 year olds want to be fantastic things that sound cool, and aren't very hard work. I know several of them well into their mid twenties still living at home. If he eventually wants to own his own shop (how you make real money in tats) then he should do business school.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Underwater Video
How to Make Your Own How to Film
Learn About the Film Noir
10 Books to Read Before They Hit the Big-Screen - Part 1
Elizabeth Taylor Dies at 79 of Congestive Heart Failure
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...