A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,568
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dr. Who Scarf Hoop Diptych - Dr. Whoops?  (Read 2101 times)
Tags for this thread: dr_who , doctor_who , scarf , diptych , embroidery_hoop  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2011 01:20:36 PM »

I just completed the Hoopla Swap 4, where we needed to create a diptych for our partner. I immediately knew I wanted my hoops to either be attached or 3-D or something a little more unusual. My partner, savage pixie, had TONS of tardises (tardi?) on her wist.  I thought about stitching one up but I couldn't quite figure out how to attach it to the other or even what to do for another hoop! I don't watch Dr. Who, so I wasn't sure I knew what kind of thing you'd put with a tardis. Tongue  Luckily, savage told me she'd love anything Dr. Who related. When she said that I immediately had this exact idea!!

I went to this page on the Dr. Who Scarf site and had it open while I was at Joann.  
http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/season12.php

I sat next to the giant wall of floss and tried to match colors as much as I could. It sounds kind of easy but it wasn't!! Like I said, I don't watch Dr. Who! So if my colors are just totally wrong, I apologize! (I'm pretty sure the "grey" is too blue... I'll be happy to share my DMC numbers if anyone wants them, I just don't have them next to me now.) I had decided that I would only do half as many rows as were listed in the regular pattern, and I went through all the trouble of figuring out how many yards of yarn were needed versus how many yards were in a skein and did a lot of math about how many skeins of floss I would need.... yea.. I ended up using either one or just over one for each color. Cheesy  I also fudged a few colors, most notably the brown on the left end. It was supposed to be way longer, but if I'd done that, it would've been lopsided!

I started knitting with all 6 strands on my smallest knitting needles. (0 I believe... I can double check if anyone wants) I had figured out that there were a little over 1000 rows in the real scarf, which meant 500 rows for me (since I was halving). Since there were 5 "pieces" basically (knit, stitch, knit, stitch, knit) I decided I would do about 100 rows in each space. I ended up only doing 10 stitches across because that seemed a good size.  

In my head I knew how to attach the knitting to the hoop. That actually wasn't too hard. I just got to the row I wanted and back stitched the loops onto the fabric with one stitch holding down one side of two different loops (I hope that makes sense!) After that was a little more difficult Cheesy I did try to google any kind of combination of words that would've led me to a stitch that looked like a knit garter stitch... but... I failed. Cheesy  I'm assuming you can tell in the first picture, which side I did first... The first few rows were not done like the others and they're not as good looking.  At first I was trying to use daisy stitch with back stitch over top and that just wasn't working. So I ended up making small loops all across the row, then back stitching them down.  If you want to try it it's not too hard, and I'll be happy to take some tutorial pictures but omg... don't try to do it on a curve at first! Cheesy  That added a big level of difficulty!  When I was ready to start knitting again, I just made the loops a little larger so they fit around the needles. I took the actual hoop off until I had knit a fair ways because it was difficult to knit right next to the hoop.  

I feel like it needs a little something in the background and that some crayon shading might be perfect but after working sooooo hard on this and having never done any shading, I decided to leave well enough alone. Cheesy

I hope you like it!  And like I said, if anyone wants a tutorial or pictures of how to do the stitch I'm happy to oblige. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011 01:23:29 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011 01:37:58 PM »

Holy wow! So tiny! Crazy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011 01:38:15 PM »

I don't watch Dr. Who either, but this is really cool!  And I'm super impressed by the knitting with embroidery floss - this looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

savage pixie

will sew for shoes

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011 01:46:55 PM »

I may be biased, but I totally love it! I'm still in awe of all of the little stitches in the scarf - amazing.

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

my wist http://wists.com/savagepixie
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011 04:07:23 PM »

So tiny! What a clever idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NotKnit

My best works.

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011 09:13:23 AM »

So original and so very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011 09:16:07 AM »

Thanks all!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What a Grip Does on a Film Set
How to Key in Premiere Pro CS5
What Split Edits Are
Ken Burns on Technological Advances in Filmmaking
Ken Burns on Overcoming Filmmaking Obstacles
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...