A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [April Fools!] The Mixed Media Altered Art Class of your Dreams!  (Read 1530 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 01, 2011 03:04:08 PM »

Mixed Media Altered Art Class

Instructor: alteredmommy
Class Min/Max: There will be a maximum of 10 spaces for this class.  
Class Dates: This class will be taught over 2 Saturdays.  The first Saturday will be field trip day where we will be going to various venues to glean supplies for our masterpieces.  The second Saturday will be construction day.
Cost: $125 (plus cost of supplies)  Cash only

Supplies:
Day 1
-Please wear pants and long sleeves and a hat to keep out the sun.  A second change of clothing is optional but a good idea.  Hip Waders and elbow length industrial rubber gloves are mandatory.  The instructor will provide dust masks and a harness with a 5 foot identifying flag so you can be easily located.  
-a half pound of coffee beans in a resealable zip lock (for deep cleansing breathes while at some of the more aromatic locations we will be visiting)
-water bottle, back pack and heavy duty garbage bag
Day 2
-Every student will be required to bring the following:
-one tube of E-6000
-one bottle of gorilla glue
-nails
-two rolls of duct tape, colour optional but pink is appreciated
-4 bottles of Golden acrylic liquid paint (please note that cheap store brands are not acceptable substitutes)  Contact the instructor beforehand to see what colours she needs
All supplies will be left with the instructor once the class is completed

**Tools will be rented from your instructor on a "as needed" basis per hour.  Please see the attached schedule with your class confirmation and bring cash (no cheques will be accepted)  Your instructor is not liable for non availability of the tools you need or hogging of certain tools by your class members.
**Ephemera will also be available for purchase at a nominal cost.

Syllabus:

Day 1 (Saturday)

We will be meeting in front of the local bar at 10 am.  This is the best place to find rusty bottle caps and other interesting items in the gutter.  Please come prepared for the possibility of vomit on the sidewalk.

Next we will be stopping at the Auction House for some $1 auction boxes-there are many things you can create with peoples old underwear and half empty bottles of unidentifiable stuff.  Chemical reactions are a huge part of altered art!

After a brief break to dumpster dive for our lunch behind the supermarket we will head to the Altered Art mecca at the town garbage dump.  At this point you will be required to put on your mask, flag, waders and rubber gloves.  These are all mandatory as you never can tell what you might be stepping in.  The flag will let me find you should you hit an air pocket and sink.  Don't forget the coffee beans if you get overwhelmed out there.  We will look for supplies here until 3 PM.  After a quick hose off, we will proceed to our last location.

Before returning to the classroom we will visit the interstate mega truck stop for random detritus in the parking lot if we have time.  You can never have enough rusty bottle caps!!

Upon our return to the classroom, we will be washing and sterilizing our finds.  Any fiber materials will be hung outside for the week (this will aid in ridding them of various odours, although cat urine is particularly difficult and may require multiple washings)  At this time any leftover finds from lunch will also be available for a final snack.  Hopefully we find some juice.  

Day 2 (Saturday)

We will be meeting at 10 AM in the classroom.  At this time all our supplies from last week will be thrown into the communal pile to work from.  Our pieces will be assembled with E6000, gorilla glue, weldbond and possibly duct tape if required.  

Lunch will again be from the bin behind the supermarket at 1PM  The instructor will provide water to make coffee from the class beans from last week but cream and sugar will have to be secured from the bin.

Once completed we will be taking our art over to the gallery for display and sale.  All proceeds of the sale will go to administration of Craftsterland but if you would like to purchase your piece a 10% discount is available for you (please make sure to provide your class discount code)  Note that this discount does not apply to friends and family.  Any pieces not sold within 3 weeks will go to the monthly auction.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011 10:38:44 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
waggonswest

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011 04:23:04 PM »

I've got 1000 people spreading out across the county collecting stuff tomorrow.  Anything in particular you are looking for?  Seems you have the bottle caps covered, but we frequently find tires, bikes, refrigerators, bones and plastic water bottles.  LOTS of plastic water bottles.  (No really.  I do.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011 05:19:21 PM »

This is going to be my favorite class! I love that it is 2 days long! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evilSabina
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011 05:26:35 PM »

Do we need to have extra money to post bail? Or should we just run fast if the cops show up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011 05:31:04 PM »

Oh wow Sabina! Great question! I'd hate to be caught with my pants down without any bail money
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011 06:11:24 PM »

I'm not going to ask why your pants would be down pixieval.....

I think we'll keep it small, from whatever we can find in Craft's dump.  It is a huge municiple dump, huuuuggggeeee!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011 07:08:34 PM »

Excellent, I don't have very much experience with mixed media art, is that going to be a problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
CraftyDiem
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011 07:34:50 PM »

Excellent, I don't have very much experience with mixed media art, is that going to be a problem?

I'm worried about this as well.  I do bring a great deal of dumpster diving background.  I used to be a certified dumpster dive instructor. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
waggonswest

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011 07:36:37 PM »

I'm worried about this as well.  I do bring a great deal of dumpster diving background.  I used to be a certified dumpster dive instructor. 

I suppose you could just bring power tools and pretend you know what you are doing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
PixieVal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011 07:39:44 PM »

OH!

I'm going to test this weekend for my CDD, if you can use me AM, I'd love to help out during dumpster diving time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Dressmaker Book Trailer
Mosh Potatoes Book Trailer
Jennifer Weiner Talks About Certain Girls
Karen Katz Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Michael Hiltzik Talks About Colossus
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...