A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
345 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paint necklaces (and bracelets) - Now with more pieces and photos!  (Read 1877 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FunnyFace

Let's get out of this country

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2011 02:09:34 PM »

Hello again! I'm back after a long while working on a new collection of trinkets and this is what I've come up with - ready to wear paint!

My inspiration often comes from my encounters with the children I teach, who also show me the way back to my childhood, stirring memories of play. The acrylic paint skins left behind in the studio are great fun to tear away when there's nothing else to do, it's even more fun than bubble wrap. I started to think that we could use these paint skins to create works of art, and was certain that there were ways for paint to serve as a sculptural medium. After a series of experiments in my colour lab, I came up with loads of pieces in different colour schemes. Some were like accidental pieces formed from pouring or squirting paint in a totally organic manner, some were more thought out and planned and sculpted. These were simply concentric circles formed by pouring one colour on top of another. They dried completely to a pleathery texture  and were stitched together and hung on a crocheted chain.

Will return with better photos of the rest of the pieces soon!
Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011 03:03:04 AM by FunnyFace » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dying for a swap! PM me!

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.'
http://carp3di3m.livejournal.com/
im_linni
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011 04:06:17 PM »

I Love them! 

brilliant idea! I especially like the blue ones.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
aisy
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011 04:31:18 PM »

this never would have occurred to me-very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

microjivvy
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011 06:16:56 PM »

I've been doing some experimenting along the same line (nothing as nice as these, though), only I've been adding white glue to the mix because I didn't think the paint would be stable enough by itself. 

Obviously, I was very wrong, lol!

What type of surface are you pouring the paint onto? (I've been using sealed tile -- my standard "workspace.")
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MicroJivvy.com:  Whatever I happen to be working on.
My Pinterest
FunnyFace

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011 07:14:39 PM »

I've been doing some experimenting along the same line (nothing as nice as these, though), only I've been adding white glue to the mix because I didn't think the paint would be stable enough by itself. 

Obviously, I was very wrong, lol!

What type of surface are you pouring the paint onto? (I've been using sealed tile -- my standard "workspace.")

I poured daler rowney acrylic paint onto plastic plates! When they're dry I peel them off, and stitch them onto a felt backing, because I felt the smooth surface of the paint would sort of 'stick' to the skin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dying for a swap! PM me!

microjivvy
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011 01:13:43 AM »

Good idea with the felt backing -- I'm sure you're right that the paint by itself would 'stick' to bare skin, but it's so much fun to experiment with.  Grin

Back in the 70s, there was a fad of jewelry made from layers of dried paint that was sculpted to reveal the colors of the different layers.  I haven't a clue what paint was used or how it was "cured", but it was like a hard plastic.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011 01:15:24 AM by microjivvy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MicroJivvy.com:  Whatever I happen to be working on.
My Pinterest
FunnyFace

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011 01:52:25 AM »

Good idea with the felt backing -- I'm sure you're right that the paint by itself would 'stick' to bare skin, but it's so much fun to experiment with.  Grin

Back in the 70s, there was a fad of jewelry made from layers of dried paint that was sculpted to reveal the colors of the different layers.  I haven't a clue what paint was used or how it was "cured", but it was like a hard plastic.

I've seen something similar on Etsy, and I've actually tried to do the same with acrylic paint, but they didn't come out the way I had hoped. But I did end up with little nuggets of paint that had sort of sedimentary layers. They weren't nearly as thick enough to sculpt with, that would have taken months to build and dry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dying for a swap! PM me!

TheDaytimeHeroes
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011 10:29:16 AM »

These are adorable, they make me happy!
I suppose you have to use paint of decent-to-good quality for these, or paints that at least have some sort of a rubber quality to them. The paints I use now are slightly rubbery when dried (good for canvases and stuff) so I imagine they would work good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This message will self-destruct.

Originals, prints and feather paintings!
My Etsy shop--> http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheDaytimeHeroes?ref=si_shop
Deviantart --> http://kodriak.deviantart.com/

~<3
brightshadows
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011 09:16:41 PM »

I love them they are so bright! But what happens if they get wet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FunnyFace

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011 11:00:21 PM »

I love them they are so bright! But what happens if they get wet?

They're waterproof! Acrylic paints, or at least the brand I'm using now, dry to a plastic, pleathery, rubbery finish and don't dissolve when wet. I also spray varnished them just to give it a cleaner finish, so that's double waterproofing. I think they would only get affected by water if you were to soak the whole thing in water for hours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dying for a swap! PM me!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Steak and Cheese Sandwiches
How to Make Chicken and Bacon Roll-Ups
How to Make Open-Faced Pimiento Cheese BLTs
Jonathan Waxman: The Sartorialist For AOL On
Apple Recipes for Thanksgiving
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...