A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making shampoo (kind of)  (Read 1984 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tr3kkie9rl
« on: April 01, 2011 01:22:08 PM »

My eventual goal is to take the plunge into no-poo land. In preparation for that, I've purchased some ACV (apple cider vinegar) and was planning to make a rinse this weekend using that and some green tea seeing as I have a TON of green tea bags I'll never drink. But then I got to thinking, I still have quite a bit of baby shampoo left, if I combined the shampoo with the acv and tea, do you think that would work as a milder (albeit much runnier) shampoo? I was thinking of adding a few herbs too, maybe sage and rosemary as they are reported to be beneficial for hair and scalp. And some essential oils as well, haven't decided which yet though. Opinions? Ideas? Am I crazy and this is NOT going to work at all? I realize it will be pretty runny, I don't have any arrowroot or xantham gum, is there anything else commonly found in household pantries I might use to thicken it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
A2JC4life
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011 09:38:39 AM »

I would think that would work to get your hair clean, but I don't know that it will be any milder than just using less shampoo (in its original state).

As far as thickener, cornstarch is usually pretty evenly substituted for arrowroot (at least in cooking), and gelatin is also a thickener (good for hair, too).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011 12:05:55 PM »

After a few unsuccessful attempts and lots more reading around various topics here and the web, this weekend I mixed up some plain castile soap diluted with tea/water. I brewed a packet of non-caffeinated chai tea (it has rooibos - red - tea instead of black tea, and cinnamon and other yummy smelling stuff) along with about a teaspoon full of rosemary. I was surprised at how well it lathered when I used it this morning despite being about 2/3 water and only 1/3 soap! I only made a small batch though, since I don't have preservatives I don't want to risk starting a live bacteria culture in my shampoo bottle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
teachart
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011 12:41:04 PM »

GO NO POO!!!!!!!  Cheesy

I noticed that once I hit 30 my hair started to get really dry and kind of frizzy, really just kind of yuck. I saw an infomercial about the "WEN" hair care system and was about to buy it out of desperation on-line when I noticed an ad for no-pooing when I searched for WEN... Can I tell you that I haven't "shampooed" my hair in almost 7 months and it has never looked better!!!!! Sure, there was a transition period of about 3 weeks when my hair was really oily, but I'm down to just one baking soda wash and apple cider vinegar rinse a week. My hair is soft, shiny,  and I discovered my hair is a lot curlier than I knew it was!

Seriously, no pooing is awesome. I just put a few drops of essential oil into my vinegar rinse and it smells fantastic, not vinegary! And if I get a few fly-aways (now that we've had the heat on in the house my skin and hair are both a bit drier) I rub a couple of drops of sweet almond oil into my hands and tame my hair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011 02:02:59 PM »

It doesn't work if you A) have hard water B) use other products (hair spray, gel, mousse, shine serum, heat protector etc). That stuff builds up and I'm sorry but water alone does not get it out! I mean it sounds great and all, but I have to be realistic. in addition I work in a corporate setting in a very visual position and can't get away with a few weeks of transition period :-(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
teachart
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011 02:07:14 PM »

Not sure about the hard water, but I don't need to use any styling products anymore. My hair has become pretty pliable and hold shape by itself.
Yeah, the transition phase was not too fun, I wore a lot of ponytails!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
chocolatebutton
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012 08:01:51 AM »

I'm mixed race and have always looked at boards for curly hair to get advice on how to tame my hair... I was lead to believe that 'no poo' was a rinse and condition between washes to get curls looking fresh again, which i do all the time as i don't want to be constantly shampooing my hair.

Now i've read this thread, i had a look at the actual no poo method and i'm thinking of giving it a go.
I was just wondering if it's quite drying on the hair and scalp after the transition period? If so, is it the type of dryness that can be fixed with conditioner?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012 03:23:49 PM »

Interesting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012 06:37:15 PM »

I have made a really cool lathery shampoo based on Crunchy Betty's Sorta Poo recipe using castile soap and coconut milk.

Love it!

My current dilemma: no matter what castile blend I make I get white flakes in my scalp-don't know if it's soap residue or dry scalp flakes. It goes away when I use commercial shampoos so I know it's not my own scalp's issue originally.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
ToadallyDee

"Ugly Toad Girl"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012 08:52:06 PM »

Hawkeyes_girl,

Just a couple of thoughts, and I don't mean to sound silly here, but are the white flakes maybe bits of coconut from the coconut milk? Unless it's really finely filtered, there will still be some of those little stingy pieces sticking around. You might try running your coconut milk through a coffee filter before mixing the next time. Also, if you're not already, you might try the ACV rinse just to make sure you get everything out as well as helping to balance the PH of the scalp after the castille. Not been brave enough to try it yet myself, but I do know that the castille can be very drying for some people and I've heard that the ACV really helps.

Just a thought or two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

47 different personalities and a craft for each one! Wink
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Embellished Crystal Collar for a Button-Up Blouse
Non-Boring Ways To Wear A LNA White T-Shirt
What Celebs Are Wearing To Award Show After Parties
Hottest Fur Fashion Trends
4 New Ways to Style Your Favorite Flannels
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...