A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
745 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do I put in my jar? (Harry Potter related)  (Read 637 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

imtheasian1
Azn-Of-All-Trades

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2011 11:06:01 PM »

I got some of those really cute glass jar pendants from Hobby Lobby and have been trying different things with them. Recently, my sister-in-law (who is 17) has been having a really tough time with life (ontop of being a teenager) and I want to send her something to cheer her up. She's a huge HP fan like I am, so I'm going to send her a "letter from Hogwarts" that isn't exactly an acceptance letter, but a letter explaining that they're taking more interest in muggles after the fall of Voldemort (because, of course, they want to live peacefully with them) and they hope that she will soon be happy and peaceful, something along those lines, but I want to send her a polyjuice potion necklace so that she can "become someone else for a time". Not something edible, just for show. WHAT do I put in this to mimic polyjuice potion?! I want it to kind of be like the polyjuice potion from Chamber of Secrets, the thick, mud-like substance. Ugh.

Any ideas? Here's a picture of my jars just to show you how they look.

Thanks for any input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've never been able to do a swap, but I'd LOVE to do one! Especially a personal swap!
I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter, AVPM, AVPS, Glee..eh, let's just say anything geekwise. Wink
OHAI! Check out my blog? http://theninjaherself.wordpress.com
Kat1982
Last night, I lay in my bed, looking up at the stars, thinking to myself "Where the heck is my ceiling?"

I just am. That is all.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011 12:37:52 AM »

What about adding corn starch to water a little at a time until it's the consistency you want. You can add food coloring to it too and maybe little tiny pebbles for some texture. Just a thought Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Don't follow in my footsteps, I tend to walk into walls*

*I had a friend once, but then the rope broke and he got away*

http://craftsquirrel.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheLopsidedPopsicle
MerryGlas
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011 12:47:51 AM »

What Kat1982 said  Smiley Or, you know that horrible gunky stuff that kids get in party bags, I think it's called silly putty or something like that? You could get it in a grey/brown colour and put some of that in there. It's not too liquidy (I always imagine polyjuice potion as being almost too thick and gloopy to pour) and if she takes the lid off by accident it smells suitable rank  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imtheasian1
Azn-Of-All-Trades

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011 02:16:02 AM »

@Kat1982 - I never even thought about corn starch! I used to do the corn starch + water = goup thing in grade school, too. Why didn't I think of that?! I could get that to an almost perfect consistency! Thanks!

@ MerryGlas - I'm not sure what it's called, either, but I should know. For some reason, parents think that it's perfectly acceptable to put that stuff in the hands of a 3 year old. >.< Needless to say, that stuff is NOT easy to get out of carpets after my kids get ahold of it, lol. That's a great idea, too! Now, to track down where my hidden/stolen stash of that stuff is...hmm... Grin

Thanks sooo much for your input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've never been able to do a swap, but I'd LOVE to do one! Especially a personal swap!
I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter, AVPM, AVPS, Glee..eh, let's just say anything geekwise. Wink
OHAI! Check out my blog? http://theninjaherself.wordpress.com
flower
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011 05:18:06 AM »

I don't have any suggestions for what to put in the jar, but I here are some really cool potion labels I bought off of etsy for swap.  She has several other styles too!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62142909/macbeth-witch-potion-ingredients-labels
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sassyone
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011 10:56:14 AM »

I am not into HP but thought about a couple of things that might apply to this...
what about those little tiny eyes that are on stuffed animals and such....what about putting some of those in one of the jars....or the tiny eye balls for dolls.

What about a clipping of hair...just a little clipping.  Just a few short pieces...

Rocks, sand with something else mixed in...maybe some colored sugar....

A few tiny twigs or tiny sticks
Dried raisins...

hope they aren't to corny of ideas....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
On the Go Peanut Butter and Jelly Pancake Recipe
Fluffy Oven Pancake Recipe
Pull-Apart Butter Biscuits Recipe
How to Spice Up Your Tailgating Recipes
How to Make the Perfect Tailgating Burger
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...