A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
363 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pie Chart? Pineapple? Pysanky!  (Read 634 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sallymayhomer
Happiness by Hand

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2011 10:00:32 AM »

So a few weeks ago I started blowing the insides out of eggs everytime I was going to use them to cook with and kept them in a seperate carton to be painted or whatever eventually... for Easter.

The other day I saw blupaison's post with their pysanky eggs and was reminded about pysanky...something I'd researched before and wanted to try, but was too lazy to get all the stuff for. However, after reading the replies to said thread, "how do you do this?" I did a quick google search (always better to figure out what you can on your own and people are more likely to help you with small questions instead of taking on an apprentice) and found a great site: Learnpysanky.com.

Whilst there, I found my local "place" to purchase the supplies. So on wednesday I went and bought a pysanky kit, comes with beeswax, the stylus, the dyes, the setting powder, some candles as well as an instructional booklet complete with history of the tradition and symbols etc.and it was less than 30 bucks, not bad considering I got it from a museum.

So, I have a friend who I told about this endeavor and since they gave me a bunch of crap about it, I figured I'd dedicate my first one to them. This is my first attempt at pysanky. It's a hot mess, but I like it anyways. He has a Ducati, so that's the motorcycle and he named it Toothless..so there's the dragon on top..there's some tread marks and teeth and a road as edging; the back was a big space to fill, so I just did a city scape and some subway cars (I'm in NYC). I only used yellow and black dyes, kept it REALLY basic.

The process was fairly easy, too bad I don't have steady hands, I'm sure I'll get better with practice. "practice makes perfect" and I have another dozen eggs to decorate. The next one I plan to make is gonna be a Nurse Jackie pysanky, dedicated to all the nice people I used to work with there. Should be interesting. Oh and I made the egg holder out of some wire I had in my toolbox.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011 10:16:46 AM by sallymayhomer » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We should all fear evil men, but what we should fear most, is the indifference of good men. On a lighter note..have you smiled today? If you have not, Just DO IT! If you have..do it again!
fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011 11:44:15 AM »

This is so cool - I think I will follow your lead, and try this too.  I think your egg is really something.   Cheesy Wink Smiley Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
FashionCrafter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011 07:40:12 PM »

Really good work! I think I would try this on porcelain jars and pots...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Difference Between Setting the Stage and Telling a Story
How to Use a 50 mm Lens
How to Understand color Theory
How to Develop a Rapport with the Subject
How to Understand Different Camera Variations
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...