A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,845
Currently Running With Scissors:
362 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tell it to me straight . . . .  (Read 1226 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Some_Girl
If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library. ~ Frank Zappa

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2011 08:40:46 AM »

am I insane? I'm a complete and total newbie when it comes to knitting. I crocheted like one blanket a million years ago. I keep meaning to learn how to knit but never finding the time. I'm now totally obsessed by this project http://ajoureblog.com/tag/knitted-pouf/ So is it insane of me to think I could ever possibly pull this off? Is this the kind of thing only a seasoned pro should attempt? I understand that using the thickest gauge of super chunky wool would be to my untrained benefit, but what are the chances the sheer scale, my greeness, perhaps a varying tension as I learn, will leave me with a tangled mess of wool and send me running from the knitting fold before I've even begun? lol Tongue Any opinions are welcome! Seriously!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oyhana
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011 09:30:04 AM »

Why don't you just try it?  Jump right in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest     

Personal swap friendly!  Especially ATCs!
Tephra
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011 12:31:38 PM »

I think that's actually a pretty good pattern for a beginner, it's just a garter stitch rectangle with the short ends sewn together and the long edges gathered.

If you're using multiple strands of yarn you just have to be sure you knit all of the strands together in the proper stitch. For instance, if you are using three strands held together you want to be sure your needle goes through all three loops of the stitch and that you pull all three strands through when you make the new stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Some_Girl
If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library. ~ Frank Zappa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011 01:48:32 PM »

Thank you!  Smiley Maybe I can pull this off then! It just looks so perfect! The men in the house have been wanting a bean bag chair for when they're gaming for ever. . . but the thought of a large vinyl monstrosity gracing my living room leaves me cold. These knit pouf's look way more inviting! Perhaps a trip to the yarn aisle is in order. I'm sure I'll have about two billion questions along the way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011 08:25:34 AM »

I say go for it! I think you're more apt to "get" knitting and want to do it if you're knitting something you absolutely love Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rocketqueen21
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011 04:38:38 PM »

I agree with the others - you never know until you try! I'm not a super-experienced knitter, and I didn't see anything in the instructions that I don't understand.

If anything, the motivation to keep one of those horrible vinyl beanbags out of your living room should provide all the push you need!

Good luck, and please post pictures in the Completed Projects section when you're finished so we can see your handiwork!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself."

-Oscar Wilde
Some_Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011 05:41:56 PM »

Thanks everyone  Grin I think I'm really going to give it a try. Planning on doing some craft shopping tomorrow so I'm gonna scout my materials. I'll even have to buy needles  Roll Eyes lol ok, stop laughing! I'll definitely be posting pics when I'm done. . and probably before that to get much needed help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011 07:46:11 PM »

Looks like a perfect beginner project, it's just one giant rectangle. I'd say jump right in, if you ever get stuck you have craftster or youtube for support.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Girl
How to Draw a Face Portrait
How to Draw a Domestic Dog
How to Draw a Domestic Cat
How to Use an Airbrush
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...