A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Removing Black Hair Dye  (Read 8184 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ecstasia
Little Girl Lost

I love personal swaps!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2005 03:20:45 AM »

Besides stripping and bleaching, are there ways to remove black hair dye from your hair? Even partially is fine. I dyed y hair black for over a year. The last time I dyed it was back in February. My wedding is in December and I'd like to have it out now. Normally my hair grows super quickly and hair dye wears out fast. But in almost 4 months only a small amount has worn out. I had originally planned to leave the dye in (I like it a lot). But my fiance requested that I walk down the aisle with as close to my natural hair as possible. Considering he has not said a word about any of my dramatic changes in the last 6 years, I figured I could honor his one request =) I heard about something called ColorFix. Has anyone used it? What did you think of it?

Thanks in advance!
-- Lissi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005 03:25:36 AM »

Black is tough! We nearly ruined my daughter's hair getting it out!
If you remember the brand you used, go get the phone number for their help line off the box and call and see what they recommend.

Good luck. Sounds like you have a fantastic fiance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
d_oubt

Go Banana, GO!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005 04:19:35 AM »

good luck w/ that black - a middle of the night "great idea" turned into 2 years of black hair for me (i had really long hair).

i did 2 things to get rid of it - 1, a hairdresser recommended prell shampoo - it's pretty cheap and strong, it kinda strips your hair (which would never make me want to use it under normal circumstances) that seemed to speed up the removal process,

but eventually i went and bought one of the bleaching kits that comes w/ those brightly colored dyes they sell for hair, manic panic stuff, ya know?  only problem is then you have to dye your hair to get it close to your old natural color, so it still won't be completely au natural, but you won't choose black again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ecstasia
Little Girl Lost

I love personal swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005 01:59:46 PM »

Wow I remember Prell. My mom used to buy it because it was relatively cheap lol It always did terrible things to her hair. Now I know why. I'll try that.

It doesn't need to be removed completely. The color just needs to be lessened. My hair was dirty blonde but darkened to brown when I got older. So if I can just get some of the blac to wear out I'll be more than happy.

-- Lissi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vanessa Cyanide
You won't like me.

Couture is lame. End of story.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005 02:03:25 PM »

I used that color fix stuff, and it did pretty good, depending on how long your hair is, theres enough for a few aplications, and it doesnt destroy your hair.
black is HARD to get out, Id go to a salon if you want it to look good/presentable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cyanidekustoms.bravehost.com
"I dont give a fu*k about punk rock no more" -The Dwarves
I want to give the Devil back the Devils' rock n roll!
Motorcycles and cars made of METAL....nothing gets to a girls heart faster... oh yea-  And crafting stuff that gives off toxic fumes....mmm m
SassetteOPants

Equal parts sugar and salt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005 08:33:31 AM »

I've been going back and forth from fire-engine red to blue-black for several years now, and let me tell you, biting the bullet and getting it done professionally is the only reason I have a single hair left on my head.  Black, especially DIY black, is every colorist's nightmare (among other reasons, people tend to apply it all over their head when they touch it up, which leads to nasty buildup--not that I'd know anything about that :p). 
Since it is for your wedding, you might consider just going the professional route.  Just letting it fade is going to give you a kind of weird 'halo' effect where the top of your head is natural and the ends are black.  And Prell is so gnarly--make sure you condition really, really well or your hair will feel like straw Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...so believe when I say Im no better than you, except when I craft so I guess it aint true.

Insinuendos.etsy.com
ecstasia
Little Girl Lost

I love personal swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005 01:05:03 PM »

Thank you everyone!

I may just have to bite the bullet as you said and pay the fees. If I have it done professionally would I get it stripped or just bleached?

Also if I have to get it stripped, what would you recommend that I do to make it healthy again?

-- Lissi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

poppet
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005 01:08:05 PM »

I did my hair black once and hated it. I had it professionally removed. I went to a reputable salon and they added bleach-stuff with conditioner and it lifted several shades, then I had them color it. My hair wasn't fried at all, and I was relieved to get rid of the black. I highly recommend you go to a good salon and don't try to do it yourself.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: "Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment." -- Dorothy Parker

http://poppetprojects.blogspot.com
SassetteOPants

Equal parts sugar and salt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005 06:03:36 PM »

If I have it done professionally would I get it stripped or just bleached?

Also if I have to get it stripped, what would you recommend that I do to make it healthy again?

They'll use a color remover of some sort (well, I should say, that's what they do to me) to coax out the black.  Whether they bleach it depends on the color that remains, and the color you're aiming to get. 

As for aftercare, don't wash your hair very often (I only wash mine once a week; if it gets greasy I rinse it with plain water, flatiron it, or use hair powder), don't overdo the heat styling, and keep it moisturized.  I'm not one to use fancypants products as a rule, but my hair is **so compromised** that I use the new Bumble+Bumble Damage Therapy line.  It's really spendy (but my best friend does hair, so I get a price break!).  It really, truly, is worth every single penny--my hair feels brand new, and I've had no breakage to speak of since stripping out blue-black and putting in red highlights.  I love it and highly recommend it.  If you don't want to kick down tons of money, use a gentle shampoo from the drugstore or whatever, but invest in a really great conditioner.  I did that for years Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...so believe when I say Im no better than you, except when I craft so I guess it aint true.

Insinuendos.etsy.com
myjulybabes
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005 05:58:52 AM »

Honestly, since this is for your wedding, I'd go ahead and splurge and get it done professionally.   I attempted to bleach black out of my hair myself and ended up with black with orange stripes because it didn't "take" evenly.  It actually looked pretty damn cool, but was SO not the effect I was going for.  LOL   Also, according to my hair knowledgeable friends, it's extremely difficult to bleach out black dye, and you definitely can't dye over it.  You pretty much have to use a dye-remover, whether you get a kit from Walmart or Sallys, or go to the salon.

If you are just going for a medium to dark brown color, it may only take one application of color remover at the salon, then they'll dye over it.  It shouldn't fry your hair too badly.   I was going for blonde, so they had to use 2 applications of dye remover, and my hair still isn't totally strawlike.   It's definitely dryer and more fragile than before, but not awful.

When my hair isn't too dry, I actually don't use regular shampoo at all.  I clean my scalp with baking soda and rinse my hair with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.   Works great!  And depending on how greasy your hair gets, you can do it as little as once a week.   Right now, I'm trying to pour in the moisture, so I'm using Catwalk Oatmeal and Honey shampoo and conditioner, and when I remember, a leave in treatment called Anti-Snap by Redken.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Queen
How to Design a Cartoon Monkey
How to Illustrate a Cartoon House
How to Sketch Snoopy
How to Sketch Hello Kitty
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...