A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,882
Currently Running With Scissors:
783 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Queen of Everything Crown  (Read 1175 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fatewineroses
« on: March 31, 2011 05:51:58 PM »

A bit more than a year ago I started a new job and in the beginning I had a real rough patch with some other women on the floor.  My boss introduced me to Mona, who does admin work like me, but on the "other" coast. Since then she has been a mentor, inspiration and release valve.

I love how inspiration happens sometimes. After a conversation we had that morphed somehow into what would happen if we came into the office wearing a crown, (I admitted I would get questions, but would be left alone otherwise; while my friend boasted that no one would dare ask her why or comment on her wearing a crown to work.), came the thought to make her a crown. It bounced around in my head for a while and I toyed with several different ideas (mixed media, beads, office supplies) until I remembered a card a dear friend gave me many years ago. On the front it said, "You are the Queen of Everything." Perfect! Despite my interest in exploring other mediums, in the end I fell back on my first love..embroidery.

The crown is heavy cotton fabric painted with watercolors, embroidered onto felt to give it the stiffness it needed to stand on it's own. The design is my own and each symbol has it's own significance.

Front 1 - The crown reads "Queen of Everything" in the center, with a paperclip chain running across the bottom.  Here you can see the "rays" radiating from the center of the crown. For the energy that my friend puts off at work. I added some bi-cone crystals in light yellow and aurora clear to give it some "sparkle."

Front 2 - More of the "rays" and paperclip chain. The rays were embroidered onto a double layer of felt. It gives the front a bit of a "quilted" look and helps keep it standing tall. Yes. She *is* the queen of everything...on her coast. On my coast it's definitely my title. Wink

Side 1 - On this side you can see a hen perching on one paperclip, denoting her "mothering" attitude towards me, the butterflies floating above a symbol of her wonderful spirit. The CG emblem had to be there somewhere, as we both work for the CG and she is a CG spouse.

Side 2 - On this side I put the most common "rates" we work with and support.

Inside view - I picked the paisley cotton to back the crown with because of the rich colors and "regal" look to it.

Over the course of about two months I put in about 20 plus hours of work into this, including design and execution.

Mona comes into town next week and we finally get to meet in person for the first time. I can't wait to give her the crown!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist
Uncertain Creativity
seekingstars on etsy
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011 06:17:18 PM »

This is a great story and a wonderful gift! I bet she'll love it like crazy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011 06:19:25 PM »

WOW! This totally ROCKS!

What a wonderful gift. Everything about this crown is so thoughtful and perfectly executed. Spectacular job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everkutz
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011 06:22:52 PM »

Love your story and LOVE the crown!  She'll cherish it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011 07:14:39 PM »

Love it! I think I need a crown.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fatewineroses
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011 07:41:40 PM »

Thanks everyone.

@kittykill - Why yes my dear, I think you do!  If I can actually bear to part with this one I might have to make a crown for myself to wear to work!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist
Uncertain Creativity
seekingstars on etsy
Terracruz
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011 09:06:02 PM »

OMGosh. This is STUNNING!!! She's going to love it. What a awesome work of art from the heart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Terra
ChristieAnn
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011 03:15:33 AM »

Hitting 'this rocks' - what an awesome story to go along with a great finished project.  I'm sure she will treasure it - it is such a wonderful example of 'hand made and heart felt'!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I HAVE LOTS OF UNMOUNTED RUBBER STAMPS - MOST PRISTINE - WOULD LOVE TO TRADE FOR VINTAGE PLASTIC KNITTING NEEDLES OR WOOD SPOOLS OF THREAD - PM ME!

Wists:  http://www.wists.com/ChristieAnn
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011 06:28:47 AM »

Awesome! I love everything about this project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
rubylynns
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011 06:37:56 AM »

I love it, such a beautiful design.  I'm sure she will love it and appreciate how much time and heart you put into it.  Something like that is a treasure. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Perm
How to Get Rid of a Green Tone in Blonde Hair
How to Choose a Hairdresser
How to Make Your Blow Dry Hair Style Last
How to Get Rid of Flyaway and Static Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...