A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The New Spinners Thread  (Read 2484 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mossie
« on: March 31, 2011 02:45:49 PM »

I finally picked up a spindle and eight ounces of beautiful brown Shetland roving on Monday.  I'm now looking at my last two ounces of unspun roving and wishing it wasn't an hour drive to the fiber store.

The biggest surprise for me has been drafting...I thought the spinning would be the tricky bit, but drafting with consistent results results has definitely been harder.  I quartered the roving and the first quarter was really thick and thin, but the next two were a lot nicer looking.  I've started a hat with the first quarter as the band and I'm happy  the results.  It looks a lot more even knitted up.  I figure the more evenly spun yarn will be nice for the body of the hat.

I'm sure I'm not the only new spinner around.  Any others want to come out of the woodwork and share how their new obsession is going?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011 03:48:09 PM »

Alright Mossie!

I personally love the look of thick/thin yarn knitted up.  It gives the piece so much interesting texture.  I take a break from easy (now) zen-like spinning to concentrate on spinning thick & thin.

Cyndi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Kfree
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011 08:26:41 AM »

Ooooh! I only wish this was my new obsession! I really want to try spinning but I have no idea where to start...I know they have "beginner kits" but I got one of those for knitting and it was a disaster. I ended up having to have a friend of mine help me. Sadly no one I know spins. Sad I started looking at information online but my brain just went on overload.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When we long for a life with no difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds, and diamonds are made under pressure. -Peter Marshall
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011 10:14:12 AM »

Kfree, check out Abby Frqnquemont's youtube video on how to start!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

Kfree
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011 10:28:52 AM »

Oh my goodness how perfect!   Grin I am SO excited now! Tomorrow I am off to the hardware store to see what I can find to make my own drop spindle Smiley now to figure out what for fiber...thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When we long for a life with no difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds, and diamonds are made under pressure. -Peter Marshall
Mossie
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011 11:54:30 AM »

Kfree, be careful!  I've only been at it for a week and I'm already addicted.  My half pound of roving is all spun up and some of it has turned into a hat.  Three more pounds are ordered though, so my fiber fix will soon be placated.

In the mean time, I've been spinning plastic bags.  I had the thought that it would be neat to turn disposable shopping bags into reusable ones.  I've spun up two balls of single-ply plastic, each made of five bags.  Right now I'm plying them in order to make them stronger.  Next step will be a simple netted bag using my size thirteen circular needle.  Photos of it will be coming to my blog when it's finished.

If you're desperate for fiber, the plastic bags have been really easy to spin up and I feel like I'm getting more of a feel for when I'm over spinning with them.  All I did for prep was to cut the handles and bottoms off of each bag and then cut them horizontally in strips about an inch wide.  The strips end up being loops and I just string them together with slip knots.  The tighter the slip knot is, the nicer the finished thread ends up looking.

I can't wait until you get yourself set up...another new fiber junkie is a very exciting thought.  Post back when you're spinning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011 03:45:02 PM »

death by fiber is a comfy way to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

vampedangel14
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Easily craftstracted!

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011 10:13:53 AM »

I am a new spinner. Right now I am just using drop spindles. I have a top and a bottom whirl one and do far like the bottom better but the other one I just bought is a little heavier so I'm using that one right now. I do plan on taking classes on a an actual wheel but they don't start until the fall. I want to try it out to make sure I'll like it before I go spend the hundreds of dollars on a wheel.

I have been looking at other types of spindles and right now I'm interested in the Navajo style and more recently the kick/marion type. Both look like they might be a bit easier, at least on my back!

So far for spinning, I've done one ball that was enough for a scarf and right now I have bought more fiber and just spun up a little of it so far. That is currently hanging in the shower to dry out. I'm still going from thick to thin but this most recent spin was mostly even and has me super happy.

I'm actually just sitting down to spin some more up. It is really addicting even if it's slow going at first while I learn how to do everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brielauren
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011 01:22:38 PM »

i just started spinning too and oh god its addicting. i have to sit in an office all day long and dont have a huge amount to do so i just spin! i still have the uneven drafting problem but i think its getting better. i found that the corridale i have was alot harder than the merino. im trying some banana fiber after i finish the merino skien!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to make a quilt from squares from other craftsters. want to send a square? lets swap!

i also would love to swap for handspun yarn!!!!!!!

Scarf Swap ~ Crafting
Spell My Name Swap ~ sent

http://wists.com/brielauren
TotallyToTheT
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011 07:16:27 PM »

I am new to spinning.  I took a beginning wheel spinning class at SAFF yesterday and I am hooked!  I just have a top whorl spindle and I am practicing on that for now.  I am so addicted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Piccolo
How to Draw Philip Fry
How to Draw Peter Pan
How to Draw Pekingse
How to Draw Patrick
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...