A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DON'T BLINK! (or- i just can't seem to post without a ton of images!)  (Read 32404 times)
Tags for this thread: doctor_who , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fayeven

my hovercraft is full of eels

View Profile WWW
« on: March 31, 2011 11:34:32 AM »

Don't Blink!

greetings craftsters!
an aside to the mods, i never know where to put these altered dolls that aren't playthings, so this one's going here :/

i confess it.  i'm a geek. and a proud one at that. i'm also a longtime doctor who fan. i grew up watching the 4th doctor (tom baker) and was never very satisfied with the ones that came after, until the series was revamped in 2005. i've successfully indoctrinated my husband into the whoniverse (we are also huge torchwood fans) and decided to decorate our bathroom with the scariest themes of the whoniverse. the bathroom is a work in progress, but i'll get to posting more about it later, i promise. it occurred to me that one of the most obvious monsters for me to make in particular was a weeping angel barbie. for those not in the know, weeping angels are creatures that appear to be statues of angels with their hands over their eyes (hence the name), but whenever someone (or something) is not looking at them they can move-fast. even blinking can allow them to get you. so here's the "why," now i'll show you the "how."

i cut a wing shape out of craft foam and added details with hot glue.

i discovered that even jointed armed barbies' arms are not in a proper position to cover their eyes so i had to cut and reattach the arms at the elbow. more hot glue.... a high temp gun makes all the difference here. her arms aren't going anywhere.

i also took the time to glue all of her joints so they are solid and attach her to a base- yes, with wooden skewers.

a simple gauze dress was added. the gauze allows for the proper folding and drape (once paint and glue are added) to be indicative of the romanesque statues the weeping angels disguise themselves as. also in the picture below you can see peeking out from behind one of her wings my rendition of the bottle of tears from the torchwood episode "from out of the rain"

then came the problem of her hair. despite barbie's fashion sense, styling her hair any more than ponytail or down is next to impossible. in order to create the carved waves seen in statuary i needed to rely on my trusty glue gun again.

i next used craft glue to settle her dress more, and prepare the piece for priming.

and somehow i didn't get a pic of the piece primed, but just imagine the entire piece white Wink
instead of trying to fake the stone texture myself i decided to use a textured spraypaint. i am quite pleased with the results!

and here she is in her proper place. i am quite pleased with how well she fits with the small shelf i had lying around. ....and do not worry for me who fans, i am placing a mirror directly opposite her so she will be trapped Wink

as always questions, comments and criticisms are all welcome Smiley

thanks for looking!
-fayeven
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011 11:35:06 AM by fayeven » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alixianervosa

That's what she said

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011 11:49:59 AM »

Even without the story she's gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God wanted us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller skates." -Willy Wonka
GeekySweetheart
Tutorial Contributor

Personal Swap me!

Who you callin' scruffy lookin'?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011 11:58:47 AM »

DUDE!!! wisted! I'm so glad I saw this on the 'new projects' box on the front page because I  never would have seen it otherwise... I'm in love!!

x G
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancedupapillon
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011 12:05:59 PM »

Fabulous!  Really well done Smiley I like how the progress pictures make her go from coquette to creapy.  Perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011 12:10:02 PM »

This is so cool! What a cool way to do this! This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011 12:13:10 PM »

Amazing!  This Rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
when_im_sixty4
Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011 12:14:59 PM »

I had to click "this rocks" before I had even finished reading it! Thanks for sharing the photos- this is so cool!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
Nuphar
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011 12:16:00 PM »

I saw just tumbnail and was like OMG that look just like a weeping angel from doctor who -- then I hover my mouse over it and it said don't blink I was in awe. This is sooo great I love it! this is the greatest use of a old barbie I have ever seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fayeven

my hovercraft is full of eels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011 12:16:34 PM »

WOW thank you all so much!  this was a really fun and fast project to do once i got around to it  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chicnjoy
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011 12:42:22 PM »

She is gorgeous, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sarah Ban Breathnach: The New York Times Bestselling Author Who Lost It All
Motherboard: Author William Gibson on Real Life Technology
Chick-O-Saurus Rex by Lenore Appelhans and Daniel Jennewein
Go Back to Snail Mail to Stay in Touch with Friends
The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...