A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,038
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper flower  (Read 6730 times)
Tags for this thread: flower  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2011 03:55:17 PM »

After seeing a post on here (and of course I can't find it now  Undecided) which led me to this site http://meholder.blogspot.com/2009/03/paper-flower-tutorial.html, I found an old anatomy drawing book and got to work. I don't have the flower punch recommended so I just did a search for "six sided flower template" and used card stock to make a tracing thing (sorry, I'm brain dead right now).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chocolate_Jo

Can I have some fishy crackers?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011 04:03:32 PM »

I love this! I want to make one like...right now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011 04:09:27 PM »

Do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elowezil
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011 04:12:28 PM »

Wow, gorgeous.  So many possibilities.  TFS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alchamy513
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Watson's Warriors

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011 04:26:17 PM »

I'm definitely making a few of these... I remember seeing the half painted ones on an Alice in Wonderland collage on here! I just have to say I love how the two words that really stand out for me in the picture are "forward" and "backward"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in Sherlock Holmes! : Avengers Assemble!
My Pinterest
calixita

thought I heard a saxophone; I'm drunk on the moon

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011 04:29:48 PM »

Beautiful!  I'm adding this to my projects list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleidoscope_eyes
dimestore diamond -shines just like the real thing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011 04:56:33 PM »

this is so pretty! nicely done. i want a crown of these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jlh326
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011 05:16:08 PM »

thanks for sharing! so many possibilities! i really like yours with the printed words. neat idea. may i ask what you are going to use yours for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011 05:48:26 PM »

Oh, I love this! I can see making them as teacher appreciation gifts for the word-oriented humanities teachers--with pin-backs and magnets!

Off to find the half-painted version on craftster, perhaps for the art and science teachers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011 07:30:57 PM »

Oh, the possibilities are endless! Barrettes, pins, magnets, rings...I was also thinking of doing a sort of Frida Kahlo-inspired headband of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amaryllisroze

Member of the Papercraft Gang

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011 12:42:11 PM »

I made some from this tutorial (I put them on a steampunk themed frame) and they are shockingly easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011 10:57:08 PM »

I've been trying to find some paper or other crafty type flowers to use for my wedding bouquets for a while now, i think these would be perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amaryllisroze

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011 09:16:53 AM »

I think you could definitely put a wire thru the middle of these and they would work for a bouquet. I made mine of cardstock and they are super sturdy.

I've been trying to find some paper or other crafty type flowers to use for my wedding bouquets for a while now, i think these would be perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011 09:18:27 AM »

I'm planning on an Alice in wonderland tea party type wedding, so they would be white, with some "painted: red lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amaryllisroze

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011 09:19:35 AM »

I think that would totally work.

I'm planning on an Alice in wonderland tea party type wedding, so they would be white, with some "painted: red lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011 07:03:20 PM »

when my dad gets back (he's outta town for the weekend) we're gonna head to Michael's and hopefully get me the punch Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amaryllisroze

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011 06:52:42 AM »

I couldn't find the punch locally so I cut them out by hand. Granted I only did about 4 flowers, not a bouquets worth.

when my dad gets back (he's outta town for the weekend) we're gonna head to Michael's and hopefully get me the punch Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011 09:09:43 AM »

no luck at micheals (they had the right brand but don't stock, and wouldn't order the flower shape)
but we found some online and ordered one Cheesy (well... technically my dad ordered it... i don't have an e-bay account or paypal lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imera
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011 05:04:59 PM »

That is really lovely, and it's almost just as easy to cut them by hand, I have done that to all my roses
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011 08:53:47 PM »

i want to do decent sized bouquets for myself (bride) and 5 brides maids, boutioneers for my hubby to be and 5 groomsmen, flowers for the flower girl, boutioneer for the ring bearer, corsages for HTB mom and step mom, boutioneers for my dad and HTB dad, and possibly corsages/boutioneers for grandparents... along with some for the centerpieces on the tables... thats a lot of flowers to hand cut lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batfishgurl

Just Married <3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011 04:59:13 PM »

Whoa, this is excellent, and seems easier than the "glue some random petal shaped papers together" way I was making flowers.  Cheesy I'm definitely going to give this a try. Your sample looks so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011 04:59:38 PM »

SO excited! my paper punch came in the mail today!!! as soon as i'm feeling well enough to sit up for more then 10 mins at a time i'm going to start making flowers Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011 05:04:57 AM »

Oooh, sorry you're ill! Feel better (and crafty!) soon!

When you are up, would you share where you found your punch, brand, and how big it is, etc.? I looked at Michael's and Hobby Lobby...neither had a 5- or 6-petal punch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011 09:25:31 AM »

I couldn't find one there either, i went with ebay. i got the Marvy Uchida brand, and i believe i got the giga (they also have it in another size, one is 3" the other is 2.5" and i think they have 2" too, I got the 3 inch one... purple (all the ones in the size are the same color)

if you look around on e-bay they have lots for similar prices as micheals/hobby lobby punches of the same size...
I paid a little more, but i picked someone with really good reviews, along with them being in the US so not near as far as some (hong kong and such)  the seller i bought from is kats_art, she was a wonderful seller, fast shipping, well packaged, and the item came exactly as described.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011 03:54:44 AM »

That is EXCELLENT advice, all round. I just added that to my post-dinner-party list of things to do. (12 people in my house for a "soul supper" of ribs, etc. tomorrow night. YEEK!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011 05:00:16 AM »

Why delay, I thought...if I hurry and order, it can get here while I"m panicking over the dinner...so I ordered the same punch on Amazon, with free shipping (since we save up items in the cart and buy them all at once)! YAY! Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diyday
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011 02:32:48 PM »

Coincidentally, I was watching a video at Youtube the other day for a flower just like this one. I thought it would look good on a frame for Mother's Day...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmandaBL
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011 09:17:15 AM »

I folded squares of paper in half & half again (small square) then folded corner to corner (triangle) and rounded the top to a teardrop shape.  This gave me an 8 petal flower.  I followed the tute but added an extra layer of petals and 2 leaves.  I watercolored all of it before the glue step and attached it to a clip which will be in my hair tonight :-)  Thanks for the link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011 09:38:11 AM »

AmandaBL, there is a tutorial on youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spO_hR1eFso ) where it shows how to use the 8 sided flower to get a very similar look to the 6 sided one, and its pretty cool and you use 1 extra small layer... i think this is prolly how you did yours but i'm curious if it is how you did it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmandaBL
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011 12:47:51 PM »

I wanted a flatter flower for wearing in my hair, so on my first layer I removed no petals, just made a cut & glued the two over top of each other, next layer removed one, next layer removed two, next layer removed three.  I did the center a bit differently but basically just filled in the hole with curled petals - haha.  But as far as how she cut out the beginning, that was exactly it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
awesomejennyb
Jenny Bomb

I'm awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011 08:22:20 PM »

I WOULD LOVE LOVE LOVE this tutorial but I can't get to that link!

Would you still happen to have it by any chance???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good...
amaryllisroze

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011 07:18:21 AM »

I looks like she locked down her blog to invited readers only.

There are a lot of tutorials out there that are basically the same process, just with varying styles of 6 petal flowers. If you search for something like Tim Holtz Grungepaper Roses, you should find something.

There is also this video. Disclaimer - I haven't watched it all the way thru but the first couple of minutes are headed in the right direction.

http://wn.com/How_to_make_Grunge_Paper_roses

I WOULD LOVE LOVE LOVE this tutorial but I can't get to that link!

Would you still happen to have it by any chance???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Santa Maria Tri Tip
Mandarin Orange Salad
Cheese Platters and Pairings
How to Make Corn Fritters
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 5/5
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...