A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vintage Spartan/Singer-my new find!  (Read 568 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mrs_Boats

Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2011 01:41:30 PM »

Look what I found!

I was killing time in the thrift shop when I ran into this sweet little machine buried on a shelf. No price tag, but when I asked, I was told $15. Who could pass that up? The wheel turns, but I didn't plug it in, so I don't know about the motor. There's still thread in the bobbin, though.

A quick Google tells me it's a British-built Singer, made in Scotland. A longer Google (and turning the thing upside down a few times-honestly, who named it a *Featherweight*?) tells me tentatively that it was made in 1941. The bottom is stamped Simanco-dunno what that's about.

A couple questions. Did this originally have a case? It's screwed into a plastic case bottom, so I don't think it was supposed to be in a table.

Also, it looks like the serial number says P401407, with something blurry that might be an E in front of the P. According to this site (http://www.planetpatchwork.com/fweight.htm), it's actually probably ED, but how do I know I'm looking at the right thing? I can't find any pictures of serial numbers for comparison.

What's the SIMANCO stamped on the bottom? The plate on the motor mount also says SIMANCO, and Made in Canada.

Anything else you can tell me about the new girl would be fun to know. I'll call the sewing machine guy tomorrow with an eye to taking her in this weekend for a thorough cleaning and going over.

Pardon the mess. You can tell I cleaned off just enough of the table to put her down and take pictures. Sorry!

3/31 Update: Much poking around on the Singer site (and internet in general) has refined some of my guessing. It's a model 192k-it says so on the stitch length selector plate. I cleaned more gook off the bottom, and the serial number is EP401407, making it built in 1959. The motor works (I plugged it in) and the wheel turns, but the front half of the machine and the bobbin mechanism are frozen. I did take the plate off to check it out, and it's incredible dirty (eons of old grease and lint) but not rusted, so I suspect my sewing machine guy will get it sorted fairly easily. I have an appointment with him tomorrow at noon, so I'll know more after that.

Now all I need is nice, old-fashioned Scottish name for her and we'll be all set!  Cheesy

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011 09:41:56 AM by Mrs_Boats » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sing like no one is listening
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one can see you
Live like its heaven on earth
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Swimwear for Plus-Size Women
Best Bathing Suits for Women Built Like Kim Kardashian
How to Pick the Right Swimsuit Cover-Up for Your Body Type
How to Wear Your Red Jeans with Style
Scottish Fashion Is Back in Brouge
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...