A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,196
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: labor skirt?  (Read 1037 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 30, 2011 06:07:31 AM »

So I'm getting ready for my first baby and planning a water birth at home in august. It will be just me hubby and the midwife. I'd like to video the birth and found this product that would make it more "modest" so that I wouldn't be worried about letting family and freinds see.
http://www.birthinbinsi.com/items/products/skirts/basicbinsi-detail.htm
Problem is It's a cotton and I'm not sure how well that will work in water. I'm thinking it's going to be a hinderance.
Any ideas what material I could purchase that would work better? I'm thinking basic wrap style with a wasit band and high slits on both sides.
Or if you know of someone who sells patterns for this sort of thing hit me with them!
I'm also open to ideas for reconstructing something to make it work like this. Perhaps a bathing suit cover or bottom with the crotch removed? It would need to be loose enough that I don't feel constricted during contractions.
Ideas and help please oh experienced craftsters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moojoo
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011 08:42:51 PM »

Congratulations on your baby! My second was born in the water. Sooooo much better than the hospital!

Anyway, I was thinking maybe that cheap-y knit fabric that's used a lot for those pre-fab Halloween costumes might work. It would be stretchy and comfortable, and wouldn't absorb a lot of water. Although, honestly, I think any kind of covering would get in the way at some point. But maybe a short skirt made out of swim suit material would work. Like just a short tube that was slightly tight (so it wouldn't be all floaty and all over the place), and covered up what needs to get covered while still allowing your midwife to see what's going on if she needs to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011 01:25:53 PM »

Aw, congratulations!  I think any basic A-line skirt would work for you, because adding in the slits would be easy.  I'd look for a polyester knit (I agree that knit is the way to go for comfort and ease!), like Joann's Jet Set.  Though really, any poly knit would work.  Rayon would be really comfy and soft, but it would get waterlogged like cotton, though not as bad.  Do you want the wrap to fall open in the front, or just have the slit sides?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011 04:40:37 PM »

Thanks! It would probably need a flap in the front, and slits in the sides. I'm thinking 4 panels stitched to a waistband of some sort?
Sadly no jo-anns here but I can order their fabric online I think. Will have to check.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011 04:41:41 PM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011 05:59:40 PM »

Four overlapping panels, maybe?  Trapezoidish shaped?  Sort of like a bellydancer's petal skirt, if you're familiar with that.  That'd offer you coverage and easy, erm, access.  And it'd be cute to boot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011 11:58:24 AM »

Congrats on your first baby! Having it at home seems like much more...fun? Well wrong word, but you know what I mean Grin
    I was going to suggest a loin cloth type shape, 2 flaps to get out the way. Hahaha, the births I have seen modesty went out the window! My best friend ripped off her gown she was so hot and had a nude birth as I packed ice all over her! You are going to be to busy pushing out a baby to worry about the camera and stuff, maybe have strict angles the camera man can shoot at, like up by your head so you don't get any "up skirt" shots. I don't think you have to much to worry about though, usually the only people that end up wanting to see the video is your mom and best friend, and who cares if they see your business  Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011 03:47:49 PM »

Congrats on your first baby! Having it at home seems like much more...fun? Well wrong word, but you know what I mean Grin
    I was going to suggest a loin cloth type shape, 2 flaps to get out the way. Hahaha, the births I have seen modesty went out the window! My best friend ripped off her gown she was so hot and had a nude birth as I packed ice all over her! You are going to be to busy pushing out a baby to worry about the camera and stuff, maybe have strict angles the camera man can shoot at, like up by your head so you don't get any "up skirt" shots. I don't think you have to much to worry about though, usually the only people that end up wanting to see the video is your mom and best friend, and who cares if they see your business  Cheesy 
lol I'm a very modest person so I will want something if there is going to be a camera coming near me. I'm planning a tank top or sports bra for the top half. And then this little skirt.

I love the suggestions so far thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Lasso Tools in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use the Marquee Tools in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use Selecting Process in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Play With Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Integrate with Other Programs in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...