A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,788
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: GRRRRR, why was I cursed?!?!  (Read 3633 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

l3ri

Glitter is the Herpes of the Arts and Craft World!

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2011 01:29:30 PM »

Hey ladies. I'm down right frustrated right now.  Cry  let me explain.

So I've made a promise to only wear sundresses this summer, which I am all too excited about because I love them. With this promise though, I realize I only have a couple of sundresses....won't make it through the summer with that. I've found some really great sheets at the local thrift stores that I know will make the perfect sundresses ^_^  Here comes the frustration. I don't like using patterns because they never fit me right, I' have rather large boobs. I'm hour glass shaped and would like to make some empire waist dresses like those below.

http://www.fashionus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/sundress.jpg
http://www.coutureinthecity.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/sundress.jpg (think i got this one down)
http://www.ma-petite-chou.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/vintage-floral-sundress.jpg

Problem I've run into is I can't seem to get them right. I've used quite a bit of my drafting fabric trying to get the patterns down right and they just don't seem to fit. I'm at a loss of what to do. I really want to avoid shirring/smocked types. I wouldn't be apposed to an elastic waist to give it the shape it needs. I'm just completely at a loss at what to do.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011 05:44:06 AM »

Well, first off, I'd strongly encourage you to try the dragon dress tutorial found here on craftster. It takes you through step by step to draft a custom-fit pattern, and makes a very cute, flattering dress. I've made 2 and know it adapts easily to a busty & curvy figure.

Here's a tutorial for full bust pattern adjustment that might help, too. http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=486

Lastly, I've had luck starting out with a pattern that fits in the bust and taking it in in the waist & hips. Try the commercial pattern companies. This one from Butterick has some similar details to your second picture. http://butterick.mccall.com/b5461-products-10844.php?page_id=156

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
ShannonMB

I aim to misbehave!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011 07:09:05 AM »

Gotta say...I'm in the same boat....I adore a good sundress, but they never fit right! 

I finally tried the duct tape dress dummy!  Her name is Betty and she works like a charm getting things sized to the "vast tracts of land" up top.  I don't know about you, but I am better able to visualize a pattern alteration if I have something I can put my hands on. 

There are a ton of tutorials on craftster and on the internet!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I run with scissors.....it makes me feel DANGEROUS!!
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011 07:10:52 AM »

I agree, the duct tape dress form is invaluable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
ljelondon
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011 09:09:29 AM »

If you're an hourglass shape then it can be difficult to get empire line dresses to look right. Perhaps you just need to try something with a more natural waistline (like the dragon dress)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bobbinalong
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011 06:37:10 PM »

...duct tape dress dummy!  Her name is Betty .....

.... have something I can put my hands on. 

The visualization of this made me giggle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThePQ4
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011 10:55:13 AM »

Following the tutorial above is an excellent idea. Also, if you have an old sundress that you don't really wear any more, but fit you well --you could use that to create a pattern as well. Just rip out the seams and use it as a template (alternatively, I'm sure you could find a tutorial on making templates on cardboard, etc, w/out taking out the seams). Just remember to add seam allowances, and "wiggle room". I tend to cut things slightly larger than I think they should be...and most of the time, they turn out just right (or...smaller...in which case, I give them to my little sister, LOL)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShannonMB

I aim to misbehave!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011 08:42:20 PM »

...duct tape dress dummy!  Her name is Betty .....

.... have something I can put my hands on. 

The visualization of this made me giggle.

LOL....just know that once Betty was done I did do a little feeling up...I couldn't help it!  LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I run with scissors.....it makes me feel DANGEROUS!!
l3ri

Glitter is the Herpes of the Arts and Craft World!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011 06:46:09 PM »

Oh, ladies thanks so much! I attempted the dragon dress and of course couldn't get the bust part just right. I've made several dresses since, all of which are wearable, but not quite right.  Undecided I have also broken down and bought a dress pattern. Sad I'm hoping since the bust part of the pattern is a simple tube with a princess seam, i'll be able to finally nail these suckers and finally have a good fit. Wink crossing my fingers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tortilladesigns
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011 11:37:22 AM »

What kind of fitting issues are you running into? Do you have any pictures you can show? I also have big boobs and have a lot of challenges...maybe I can help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Marta Topran Almost Died From Removing Bikini Hair
DIY Avocado Hair Mask Refresher with Meghan Rosette and Lauren Elizabeth
How Sweating Benefits Skin and Cellulite
How to Look Like a Celeb in Pictures
At-Home Teeth Whitening Products That Actually Work
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...