A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Aged" Fabric (for copycat Anthropologie skirt)  (Read 3853 times)
Tags for this thread: anthropologie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redcleo
« on: March 29, 2011 09:52:02 AM »

Browsing the Anthropologie site the other day, I found this skirt, that I fell in love with:

Love, love, love, love, LOVE. Might be the only thing from Anthro that I've ever truly wanted.

Here's a better image of the fabric.

Well, instead of spending $200 on a skirt, I figured I could make one myself. I found similar fabric and a pattern that I think I can modify.

65% Cotton, 35% Polyester. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good as-is, and it was $1.98/yard.

I'd love to get it closer to the Anthro version, but can't figure out the best way to get that color. Do I want to overdye with tan? Dye with coffee or tea? Something else I haven't thought of? I looked through the boards and tutorials and couldn't find an answer.

I have 4 yards, and I plan on taking a small piece and sample-dyeing before doing all 4 yards. (It may have been cheap, but that's no reason to take unnecessary risks.) I'm open to trying whatever method might get me the results I want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011 12:40:39 PM »

Cute skirt! That pattern is a total win Cheesy

My first thought about the fabric was that since it's a blend, you have no idea which parts are cotton and which poly, or if it's blended throughout. Give a test swatch a dunking in a cup of coffee and see how that turns out. I like coffee for it's subtleness. Everything I've coffee dyed has turned out a lovely ecru, which is a vast improvement over blindingly-white. The last was a cotton-spandex blouse and it turned out great Cheesy BTW, using coffee can get expensive for really large bundles of fabric, because you need to use LOTS of coffee grounds. If it gives the colour you want, you may want to consider cutting the skirt pieces and then dye those pieces.

If coffee isn't dark enough for your liking, then yes, by all means, try a tan or khaki dye. Just be aware that powdered dyes need HOT HOT HOT water and a boat-load of stirring or you'll get blotches, but liquid dyes are more expensive (which is why I've gotten good at stirring Tongue). Start with a low concentration of a dye, and if it's too pale once it's dry, just over-dye it again with about the same amount of dye.

OH! And pre-wash the fabric before dying to get rid of any shrinkage or chemicals.

Great project, happy crafting Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catastrophe
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011 10:26:40 PM »

I boil a big pan filled with water and some cheap (black) tea... put in at least five tea bags and maybe a few extra bags depending on the color intensity I'm going for... let the fabric steep in the tea covered for a few hours. Usually the colors I end with are light pinkish-salmon or coral beige color... rather than brown. although I have never tried using coffee.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011 10:29:15 PM by catastrophe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Li Is a Dram, From Which W First Must Wak Bor W May Dram Again
redcleo
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011 07:58:02 AM »

Thanks for the advice! Maybe I'll do a test sample this weekend and see how it goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crescentfresh
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011 05:47:51 PM »

I'm looking into dying a very white cardigan sweater with tea or coffee, but the tag was cut off so I have no idea if its a blend of fibers (seems like a cotton blend..). Will it look awful if I chance it and dye it anyway? Should I do anything special to prepare the fabric besides washing?
If anyone has advice, much appreciated~!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011 06:52:38 PM »

The worst thing that can happen is any staining at the armpits will become SUPER NOTICEABLE. Use one of those fancy enzyme sweat-mark removing mixtures if you think your cardigan might have stains. Overall, so long as the garment is partly-cotton, is thoroughly dampened before it goes in the dye and you stir it alot, you'll get nice even colour. If it's not as dark as you want, just keep dying Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rednightsky86
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011 11:29:16 AM »

If you have a thread from the material you can burn it and if it makes a little hard bead on the end it is acrylic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Individual Beef and Pork Meat Pies Recipe
Apple, Cinnamon and Pecan Tea Cake Recipe
Watertown Relish Radio Show
Watertown School Cooking Visit
Discovering Limburger Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...