A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,680
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Madame Aviana's Gypsy Fortune Teller Wagon! (soooo many photos)  (Read 8089 times)
Tags for this thread: gypsy , fortune_teller , altered_altoids_tin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 28, 2011 08:09:05 PM »

This is my first post on the polymer clay board!  I often use it for a part or detail in another project, but in this case it's probably the main material so I thought it should go here.

I made this gypsy wagon for the Wicked Circus Altered Altoid Tin Swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=375594.0 !

The whole front:

My interpretation of the Wicked Circus theme included the idea that at a wicked circus nothing is as it seems and much of what the customers see is just for show.  The backside and inside of everything is even dingier and more mysterious.

The whole back:

My partner was a self-professed "crazy bird lady" so when I found the image of this gypsy-like lady with the bird, I knew I'd found my fortune teller!

Madame Aviana:

So clean and glittery.

I rolled out the clay, cut it to fit the tin then used a paring knife to mark the "boards" and a probe to make the wood grain and knots.  After everything was baked, I attached it to the tin, primed the tin, painted the whole thing with craft paints, then used watered down burnt umber and black craft paints to make it all dingy and dirty looking.  I top-coated the whole thing with a decorative painter's acrylic varnish in "dull" which is what gave it the crackle finish - that part is a happy accident.  I imagine if I'd used artist acrylics or decorative painter's paints it wouldn't have crackled.

But what happens behind the scenes?

Some sinister and pompous half-man/half-bird is pulling the strings! His room is lined with coarse, dirty burlap.  His chair sits on a stained and ratty rug.

Literally!

And now the tedious detail shots!

To follow the theme of things being much different where the customer can't see, the front gable had green painted fish scale shingles, but the back is just plain wood, lower-quality wood using the same tools as above, but I was rougher and gaugier (to coin a term).

The front wheel is much more colorful and exotic than the back wheel.

Front:

Back:

And just a few more close-ups.

Madame Aviana's banner announcing her to circus patrons as well as while she's being pulled down the road to the next site:

And one of my favorite parts - the roof.

I have a history in home construction, so it didn't really occur to me until after I'd made 2 roofs (a certain unnamed puppy chewed the first one before it was painted) that there was probably another way other than making individual shingles and attaching them one at a time to the roof being sure to stagger the joins, etc.  Sigh.  I made sure to punch holes for the bells before baking and I'm so glad that I did.  I love that there's an audio component to the wagon!  The wondrous tin I received has a scent component, so it's even more special since my partner and I never discussed fortune tellers or media and we swapped polymer clay fortune tellers with an added sensual component!  You can see how lucky I am here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=376453.0

I really geeked out on this project (also my first altered Altoid tin) so I kept track of all the media, tools, etc. that I used.  I love collage and assemblage, but I'm initimidated to try.  STill, I've been collecting things hoping one day I'll have the inspiration and the guts so it was fun to see all that I was able to use from my stash.  The only things I bought for this were the star paper and the striped paper used for the Bird Man's rug.  Well, I found starry tissue at the thrift store a couple days before sending that I used to wrap it, but that's it!

Tools/Supplies
Hammer, finish nails, utility knife, oven, probe, sand paper, PVC closet rod, paring knife, Dremel tool (with cutting wheel), metal file, paint brushes, wire cutters, inkjet printer.

Media:
Altoid tin, balsa wood, metal tops to champagne corks. Sculpy + Bake & Bond, brassed linoleum nails, finish nail, craft paint, dog/cat hair/lint, primer, acrylic varnish, paper: scrapbook, printer, skewer, Dover clip art, Beads: glass, wooden, ceramic, jewelry findings, charms, bells, upholstery tacks, glitter, mod podge, adhesives: carpenter's glue, glue stick, E6000, 3-in-1, double stick foam tape. pigment , embroidery floss, upholstery trim, Fortune cookie fortunes
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011 08:28:46 AM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011 08:22:21 PM »

So. Amazing. What a lucky partner you had! I love the detail on the wheels, and the little flag, and especially the labeled strings on the inside. I just love the whole darn thing. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011 08:39:41 PM »

So. Amazing. What a lucky partner you had! I love the detail on the wheels, and the little flag, and especially the labeled strings on the inside. I just love the whole darn thing. Cheesy

Aw, thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

microjivvy
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011 08:44:47 PM »

I am so in love with the trailer -- it's just beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MicroJivvy.com:  Whatever I happen to be working on.
My Pinterest
arachnes thumb
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011 09:00:46 PM »

Too cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calluna
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011 09:27:45 PM »

Yes, "in love" is the best phrase I've found so far for my feelings about your Crazy Bird Lady wagon. And with these details I'm all the more in-love. I didn't even notice those tiny bells...perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011 11:04:37 PM »

Stand back ladies - its allll mine!  Wink  I'm so lucky to be the recipient and who would ever believe this was a first go at an altered tin??  My daughter is in art school and the two of us had our hands all over this thing when I unpacked it - speculating how it was all made.  Really a wonderous thing to behold!  And its interesting to see that you too, Mistress, use pet hair in your supply list.  LOL!  Thank you for your fabulous swap partnership!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd .etsy.com
lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011 05:12:44 AM »

This is really great, TheMistressT!  I can't believe it's your first!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011 08:16:52 AM »

I am so in love with the trailer -- it's just beautiful.
Too cool.
Yes, "in love" is the best phrase I've found so far for my feelings about your Crazy Bird Lady wagon. And with these details I'm all the more in-love. I didn't even notice those tiny bells...perfect!

Thanks youse guys!

Stand back ladies - its allll mine!  Wink  I'm so lucky to be the recipient and who would ever believe this was a first go at an altered tin??  My daughter is in art school and the two of us had our hands all over this thing when I unpacked it - speculating how it was all made.  Really a wonderous thing to behold!  And its interesting to see that you too, Mistress, use pet hair in your supply list.  LOL!  Thank you for your fabulous swap partnership!  Smiley

I'm so relieved that you like it and that your family is not ashamed to have it in the house!  Smiley  It seemed like NOT listing pet hair would be like not listing that a treat is processed on machinery that also processes ground nuts, whey and wheat products.  Wink  And thank YOU for being such a great partner!  I love my Zoltar and hope my own sculpting skills can someday approach yours!

This is really great, TheMistressT!  I can't believe it's your first!

Thanks!  I'm pretty sure it won't be my last!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011 08:18:24 AM »

It shouldn't be! I love all the details you put into the tin.  I can't wait to see more that you create. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Sports Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Product Photography
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Portrait Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for People-in-Landscape Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Panoramic Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...