A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fairy Costumes: Need Feedback  (Read 3599 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011 10:26:21 AM »

i think people who craft and sew are aware of how much time and energy go into making costumes - but they also have the skills and craftiness to say "I can make that" - as for non-sewers, it could very well be a case of too good to be true. As the others said - models would make a big difference, I think. Maybe a closeup of the fabric so people can see it's not just poly/rayon?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
hc42012
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012 10:57:57 AM »

I agree that it is hard to tell what size it is by the photo but also agree you seem to be under selling your self This could easily go for $100! I say try getting it out to the right people all the suggestions i read are great and I hope you have better luck soon!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Serthida
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012 06:18:32 PM »

Maybe try getting some banners up on cosplay/ren faire websites?  Are you cross posting your work to DeviantArt, Elfwood, or any of the other "fantasy" galleries that are out there?  Tumblr has become a pretty big place to market unique clothing/costumes as well, and you can always just copy/paste your descriptions off of the Etsy listings.

I agree with other posters, it wouldn't hurt to try selling just the wings individually.  Sometimes it's a blow to artistic pride to break up perfect costume sets as we see them in our heads, but consumers are more and more building their own stuff out of components, rather than buying sets of stuff.  It ends up costing them more in the end (and benefiting us!), but the perception is that sets have a premium on them.  Weirdly, they're looking at a 'set' as more expensive, even in this case where the price is lower than it feels like it should be -

At the same time, I'm also echoing to raise your prices.  Timing yourself while you work is a really helpful way to measure how much of yourself you're giving to each project, and then you can dial in the pricing to somewhere you feel fairly compensated.

Also a suggestion: Maybe try buying a few off-the-shelf hooded sweatshirts and put these wings on them, sell for both kids and adults. I bet the goth/fairy people would eat them up, and it's warm clothes/hoodie weather right now.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012 06:20:05 PM by Serthida » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sharpening Photos Using Un-Sharp Masking in Photoshop
Depth of Field Preview Button
How to Take a Good Photo in a Swimsuit
How to Use a Reflector to Add Fill Light
How to Make Your Own Photo Canvases
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...