A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
859 Guests and 45 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fairy Costumes: Need Feedback  (Read 3594 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011 09:59:18 AM »

$68 is way too low. I'd say you could charge closer to $100 and up for those outfits.

Live models work wonders. Getting the word out is what takes longer than anything else when starting a business like this. Take the advice of kstaron and LA_Fairy. Go find more people to sell to.

Oh, and the one thing that keeps me from wanting to cry while I build my business is finding someone to mentor me. They help to steer me in the right directions and give advice when I need it most. I don't know if you are in the US, but try going to the Small Business Administration. http://www.sba.gov/

Gorgeous work.

Oh! And as a potential client, when I see things like 'under renovation' on an Etsy, I think the site is no longer viable and quit looking there.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011 10:01:12 AM by rottenlittleboys » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LA-Fairy
moon child

Lexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011 01:37:47 PM »

2 More things I thought about last night,
Deviantart.com, they have a category for costumes now, and with lots of costume/cosplay/fairy groups on there to submit your work to, it will get your stuff spread really fast. If you need help with that, lemme know, deviantart can be rather a bit chaotic.

And you might want to think putting some up as singles. Worth a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LoveArtScene
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011 03:12:25 PM »

First, congrats on opening your own Etsy shop! I know it takes a lot of time and effort to get things listed and made!

My field is in Integrated Marketing and Communication, and I thought I would be able to help out a little bit!

I would say your target audience is defiantly children, and women with children (obviously! lol) and maybe even seasonal. I would suggest looking into your local renaissance festivals, any comic-cons and just posting on as many community discussion boards you can. Also check out your local paper for their on-line and print additions. On-line advertisement is a lot cheaper than print (for obvious reasons) but I would suggest just digging really hard for as many outlets on-line as yah can.

I would also print out small fliers (just computer paper but nothing too fancy) and posting them up locally around town. Daycares and second hand thrift stores, and any children-orientied outlets. Family owned businesses are a lot more lenient on posting things, and often more willing to help out because they make their own decisions. (Heck, even Starbucks has a "Community Happenings" board).

Hopefully this gets you started in the right direction. I saw someone also mention the SBA for the U.S. and I would HIGHLY suggest just reading through their site. ( I printed out the whole thing and put it in a binder lol)

Best Wishes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Follow Happiness and You Will Find Fulfillment
Larissa-Rasputin
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011 07:00:36 PM »

Absolutely adorable!  I checked your etsy store and it seems like your stuff is geared towards children.  While I think that your price is fair, you have to consider the time of year in addition to the fact that this is a purchase that most people will look at as a one time wear (considering how quickly children grow)  Is there any way you could adjust it so that it would grow a little with the child?  (adjustable tutu, modesty panel in the bodice so the laces can be further apart or some such.)  That way, they can see the possibility of more than one use.

This stuff would definitely sell for ren faires or halloween.   I'd search for websites or magazines and try to get your stuff in there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest (much larger than my wist)
My Wists

Interested in personal swaps Smiley
Macedwarf
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011 05:26:08 AM »

Those outfits are GORGEOUS!  I especially love the wings.  I would also agree that the prices you are charging are way lower than I would expect to pay for something of that quality.

My only query would be - I didn't realise until seeing the photos of the outfit on the young girls that it is designed to have a bare belly.  Possibly that could be a little off-putting for people who see your listings of the outfit on the dummy, covering the body, and then see the bare-belly listing.  Have you made versions with the white undertop being longer to see how that compares?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011 08:10:56 AM »

It might just be the wrong season. 
Have you considered selling the peices individually?  Maybe someone would just be interested in the wings by themselves (except then you'd have to figure out how to wear them).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011 04:52:34 PM »

I also think that the low price may be part of what's turning people off. It certainly can't be the designs or the apparent quality, both of which are very appealing. Sometimes people have an idea about how much something is worth and they won't pay a penny less!

One thing that sometimes works to overcome that "too cheap to be good" perception is to have one or two things in the shop that are so splendid that everyone instantly wants them, but priced so high that they're unattainable. Sometimes when people have been drawn in by something that they can't afford, they are pleased to find something else that's within their price range.

And I agree with everyone that live models will sell these dresses much better. Put the adorable little girls on the front page (it almost doesn't matter how much of the dress you can see!) and let them click to the details once they're hooked. I think your descriptive text is really good, once you get to it.

Good luck! Your dresses deserve to be sold far and wide.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ladymizri
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011 07:22:06 PM »

Thanks, everyone for the wonderful feedback!  This one I have shown here is a size 7-8, and I don't have a child that will fit that fairy...  I've been looking for one.  I will definately check out the websites mentioned!  I made the wings myself by embroidering the design onto stiff felt, trimming, and then sewing a second layer of felt with velcro to the embroidered piece.  The bodice has velcro on it.  I've been contemplating selling the bodice and wings alone, or (if I make it to sell at a ren faire) having a "Build-a-Fairy" where, for a set price, you pick the dress/tutu, bodice and wings from a selection in the shoppe.  I have another style of wings and can make a dress for under it, since I know some people are against little girls showing some belly...  lol....  If you checked out my etsy store, you have seen the hot pink one, if not, here is a pic of my daughter in it.  It's a little big on her, though. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

microjivvy
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011 08:41:43 PM »

I agree that the low prices may be hurting (season and lack of models, too).

Finding the perfect price-point is one of the hardest tasks in any business, but it's also one of the most important.  Here's an easy-to-read "price point" article that I love: http://www.copyblogger.com/click-whirr-buy/

That's not my web site, but every time I start reading it, I end up reading "just one more" article.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MicroJivvy.com:  Whatever I happen to be working on.
My Pinterest
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011 08:48:18 AM »

The other option is to list them for more then put a sale price on them people would see that they are worth more and fell like they are getting a great deal at the same time. But they are lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
FDA Approves First Facial Filler in US
Now You Can Use a Clarisonic on Your Feet
Celebrities Show Off Their Glittering Jewels
How to Do Zombie Make-Up
Hair Gloss or Keratin Treatment for Hair?
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...