A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Help! [keeping a consistent gauge]  (Read 370 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jayashiangel
« on: March 28, 2011 11:56:02 AM »

Bit of information first..I have been seriously crocheting more for about a year...prior to this the only thing I made was crocheted T-Towels for my mom on Xmas. OK back to the issues I have..

1st issue..When making say a hat pattern using the hook stated say it's and H hook my and should fit an adult not when I am done... too small so I will tear out and use a larger hook almost fits and then repeat with another hook say J...ok hat fits (why is this)

2nd issue I made a hat yesterday with a K hook (pattern called for a J hook and the first one I made was perfect :O) excited.. I started a second one here is the issue I had using same hook and same type of yarn and brand (Cotton Peaches and Cream) doesn't look like it would fit a preemie...This was for an adult...

Got any ideas to help me :O) even if I crochet loose.... Crocheting for me can be so depressing.. But I want to get better so I keep trying...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011 05:16:56 AM by fantasticmio - Reason: added more descriptive title » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011 01:06:48 PM »

Gauge can be a tricky thing.  It's helpful to make a gauge swatch before you start a project for a variety of reasons - it lets you try out different hooks with your yarn to see if you can get the same stitch/row count as the designer, and it also lets you see what the fabric will be like with each hook.

Getting a consistent gauge comes with practice. 

What you might want to look out for is that you're getting the yarn onto the shank of the hook every time.  This is the area between the hook part and the thumb rest, and if you measure it, it is the size the hook says it is (compared to, say, the throat, which is between the shank and the hook and is tapered). 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jayashiangel
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011 05:48:00 PM »

Thanks for your 10 cent opinion...as well as your editting comment..Not everyone is perfect..:O)

Yeah trying to get the GAUGE right has not been an issue with other patterns for hats...Oh well....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011 05:17:45 AM »

Sorry for the spelling comment - I was commenting on my own inability to spell "consistent", well, consistently. Tongue  I've removed it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A.J. Jacobs Wishes He Had This Talent
Meet Authors Virginia DeBerry and Donna Grant
Helene Cooper Talks About The House at Sugar Beach
Meet Author J.A. Jance
Marla Frazee Talks About All The World
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...