A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Syracuse crafters  (Read 5318 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Thrift_store_love
« on: March 15, 2004 05:46:34 PM »

Are any of you craftsters from Syracuse or Central New York?  Does anyone know of fabric or craft stores that are more hidden and unique then say... Jo-ann's or Michael's or the like?
Megan
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chrissie
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004 08:40:38 AM »

CNY REPRESENT! WOO! [/corniness]

<-- From Auburn

There aren't any truly unique craft stores that I know of. In Lansing, there's a craft store called AC Moore. It's a lot like Micheal's, but their prices are MUCH better (except their beads are expensive). I got a hot glue gun for $2!

I also heard rumors that there's a bead store in Skaneatales, but I've never been there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thrift_store_love
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004 01:02:48 PM »

WoooWoo for CNY!
Yea, there is an AC Moore here too... but nothing truely original.  Maybe I should go to NYC for a visit  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candijacks
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004 08:04:41 PM »

Hello CNY Crafters!

I just wanted to share a craft store I know of. When I was visiting CNY in April, my friend took me to a store called Northway Acres in Brewerton. They have a wide variety of items, and since they sell wholesale to the public everything is 40% off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flyhunnie7

too cool for the room

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004 12:42:45 PM »

Okay so I go to school at Oswego, and here's what I';ve found so far:
-Joann's in Oswego at rt 104 and 481
-Best Kept Secret on like, W 3rd streetish, past utica street. maybe 1st street.
-there's a Salva on 481 in Fulton
- and 2 Salvas in Syracuse. one near liverpool and one on the otherside, near the University.

What other crafty places are there? I'm from NYC so that's all I know!

t
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leftist.feminist.activist.journalist.
patchychick
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004 03:19:43 PM »

What about the Rag Shop? It's in the plaza with the Hot dog Haus and Champions outlet store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jordanne
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004 11:05:18 AM »

Where is that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maldania
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007 01:06:39 PM »

The Rag Shop was in the Northern Lights strip mall in Mattydale (North of the city) but it sadly closed a few months ago Sad  Because of that I've got to go all the way to the Joanne's in Fayetville to get decent fabric and such.

The slightly good news is that there's a rumor going around that the Micheal's that's also in that plaza is moving somewhere else near-ish by, and expanding. Here's to hoping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewphoto
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008 05:39:23 PM »

WHAT UP! WOOWOO!
Anyway now that the formalities are out of the way, and since there are only a few CNYers, I'll share my experience's in finding fabric/craft stores in Syracuse at least.  One summer day I dragged the S.O. to various Googled addresses only to find that most of them are gone.  BUT:

There's a sweet fabric store on rt 173 in Jamesville called the Fabric Mill.  It's Home Decor fabric BUT they have such a huge variety you could totally find something to work with.  Though I do throw a caution -Stuff's expensive!  I spent a good hour looking at everything and THEN found the sale section WAY in the back corner.  When you go in it's actually in the far right hand corner of the main room.  Found some pretty nice (CHEAP) fabrics!

For the ladies the knit there's the Knit Connection (I think that's what it's called) on Burnet, between Midler and Thompson.  Just A TON of fibers and such.  A bonus with this place is it's in the same plaza as a Singer sewing machine repair place.  The old guy is SUPER nice and comped me a set of different needles for my machine that I didn't even buy there.

Art store that's worth a look is the Art Store on Erie Blvd.  The Mecca for the local Art schools.  And the prices are really good and better with student id.  OH and while you're there just under the overpass on the next block(North Crouse and Burnet) is THE coolest coffee cafe.  They have all Vegetarian and Vegan food, awesome coffee from Ithaca and totally life style friendly.  The Food is really out of this world!

OOOOO and I do want to mention that I'm a member of the local chapter of the ASG(American Sewing Guild)  We would L.O.V.E. new members, I'm by far the youngest (25) and we need to livein' things up.  It's really fun showing off crafts in a personal setting -with face to face feed back.  Also the women that go are just amazing artists and help when you have a problem.

That's all I have to say.  If anyone wants to know where the ASG meeting is this Saturday (1/19/08) PM me.
AND did I mention that with an ASG membership you get 20% off of EVERYTHING at JoAnn's even sale items!  Yeah I said it 20%.

Jaq

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
The Lorax
lindseycore

cat lady till the day i die.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008 06:42:17 AM »

WHAT UP! WOOWOO!
Anyway now that the formalities are out of the way, and since there are only a few CNYers, I'll share my experience's in finding fabric/craft stores in Syracuse at least.  One summer day I dragged the S.O. to various Googled addresses only to find that most of them are gone.  BUT:

There's a sweet fabric store on rt 173 in Jamesville called the Fabric Mill.  It's Home Decor fabric BUT they have such a huge variety you could totally find something to work with.  Though I do throw a caution -Stuff's expensive!  I spent a good hour looking at everything and THEN found the sale section WAY in the back corner.  When you go in it's actually in the far right hand corner of the main room.  Found some pretty nice (CHEAP) fabrics!

For the ladies the knit there's the Knit Connection (I think that's what it's called) on Burnet, between Midler and Thompson.  Just A TON of fibers and such.  A bonus with this place is it's in the same plaza as a Singer sewing machine repair place.  The old guy is SUPER nice and comped me a set of different needles for my machine that I didn't even buy there.

Art store that's worth a look is the Art Store on Erie Blvd.  The Mecca for the local Art schools.  And the prices are really good and better with student id.  OH and while you're there just under the overpass on the next block(North Crouse and Burnet) is THE coolest coffee cafe.  They have all Vegetarian and Vegan food, awesome coffee from Ithaca and totally life style friendly.  The Food is really out of this world!

OOOOO and I do want to mention that I'm a member of the local chapter of the ASG(American Sewing Guild)  We would L.O.V.E. new members, I'm by far the youngest (25) and we need to livein' things up.  It's really fun showing off crafts in a personal setting -with face to face feed back.  Also the women that go are just amazing artists and help when you have a problem.

That's all I have to say.  If anyone wants to know where the ASG meeting is this Saturday (1/19/08) PM me.
AND did I mention that with an ASG membership you get 20% off of EVERYTHING at JoAnn's even sale items!  Yeah I said it 20%.

Jaq

how much does a membership cost?  and what exactly does it entail?  how often are the meetings?  i'm always worried about joining things like that, as i am a fairly new crafter and i think i'd be intimated by others' skills, especially with me being just 26, and i'm sure there are some that have been sewing for many many many years.  20% off at joann's is pretty enticing though, lol.  and i'm always looking to make new friends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what i have made: flickr
what i am making: ravelry
what i want: wist

i love personal swaps, especially for handspun yarn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Pappadams
Panang Curry Paste Options
How to Prepare Lemongrass
How to Add Flavor to Plain Rice
How to Make Rice Pilaf
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...