A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I don't practice Santeria, I ain't got no crystal ball, but...  (Read 550 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sallymayhomer
Happiness by Hand

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2011 09:02:50 AM »

Like the Sublime song says “I don’t practice Santeria…” but my ex did and when he asked me to help him make things to give people at his readings (he was a psychic...yea psychotic too) I said why not. I like the way alot of the things looked, and alot were fun to make.  I’m not a fan of religion in general so I’m not going to get into it or any other discussions about the religion itself, I’m just sharing some of the things I made that I liked or thought were interesting. WARNING: the phots are crap-tastic

This is a cane that I covered in one long strand of beads with intermittent clay, stone and shell additions at the top and bottom.

This was one of my favorites to make; it’s a thing you keep in your pocket or on your desk for luck and it’s filled with special herbs and trinkets with religious significance (I made a number of large ones as well). When I finished making these it spurred a love of making things with cement, I made a number of garden creatures, i.e., turtles and faces etc. with the leftover cement and I would love to make more in the future.

These are my favorite, they’re ugly as sin, but to me that’s adorable, I made them with the shells you see hanging from the cane in the above picture, so they’re quite small. I took the shells filled them with a mix of the religious stuff added a glob of clay, inserted a feather at the top and beads for the eyes and mouth and shaped the noses and painted the cheeks after baking them. I would make like 50 at a time. It was tedious but I loved the way they turned out and they all had personalities of their own.

Now for the creepy stuff, they’re supposed to be for sacrifices, but no animals were harmed in the making of or will be for the life of these machetes. They’re purely decorative. They’re decorated with clay and shells and stones.

Of the sacrificial things I made ( again, all decorative...yes they  perform sacrifices in the religion but I made sure the things I made were so delicate that they would be destroyed if used in that manner) this was my favorite. It’s a knife with the handle covered in clay then painted and beaded.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

We should all fear evil men, but what we should fear most, is the indifference of good men. On a lighter note..have you smiled today? If you have not, Just DO IT! If you have..do it again!
blupaisan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/WackobelleEarrings

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011 04:31:41 PM »

I love the beaded knives.  and the cane is very cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Mad Scientist Costume For Halloween
How to Make a Highway Costume For Halloween
How to Make an Owl Costume For Halloween
How to Make a Baby Shower Hanging Flower Decoration
How to Make a Baby Shower Bottle Themed Place Card
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...