A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial Long sleeved to Bow sleeve Tee  (Read 28076 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , shirt , reconstructed  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 25, 2011 12:03:12 PM »

If you've ever checked out my blog you'll know I love to change things up,  my Hand-Me-Down Horror series has been all about buying yucky or just plain boring clothes and making them into something I'd be proud to wear. Hack off those sleeves, raise that hemline and bob's your uncle a cute custom piece, for pittence.

Excuse the large photos I have no idea how to make them a more reasonable size and please be kind I've never posted a tutorial on Craftster but I've used loads so I'm paying back some crafty love this year  Wink

So without further ado get your sewing needles and thread out and sharpen up those scissors!

Before, a plain long sleeve Tee from Old Navy, that cost me a wopping $2.60 sorry no uncut pic but you know what it looks like I'm sure.

1. Hack off those sleeves, keeping the cut line as neat as possible, then turn the sleeves inside out.

2. Next cut off the cuff again nice and straight, then cut off the stitching (serged seam) keep this as straight and neat as possible and keep everything. This photo I took after I had opened the sleeve up (by cutting the sewn edge off)

This is what you'll end up with, don't throw anything out, nothing goes to waste on this project.

Next you'll be making the bows, out of the sleeves (I know, genius right!)

3. Start at the bottom cuff end of the sleeve and slowly pinch your way up, it's a very informal pleat, just basically grabbing finger fulls of the sleeve all the way up until you get to the top and have the entire sleeve pinched between index finger and thumb.

Whole sleeve pinched together

4. Next take the cut off sleeve cuff and wrap it around the middle of the bunched up sleeve, I fanned the sleeve out a little so you can see what it's starting to look like.

5. Keep wrapping the cuff edge around until it's tight and the sleeve is unlikely to fall out.

6. You've just made yourself a cute bow out of a sleeve, now to repeat the process until you have two.

There's a distinct (to me anyway) top and bottom to the bows, the top of the bow will be the rounded edge of the sleeve cap (the top part) just keep this in mind when you come to sew them on.

7. Next we're finishing off the neckline, and for this we're using the two long pieces you have left over from the sleeves, I only kept one so I just sewed the serged piece to the front and it looked fine but if you want to have matching front and back to the tee just continue sewing around the neck.

8. I just used a simple in and out 'running stitch'  for the neckline, making sure to line up the serged piece with the neckline edge to make sure it's even.
The finished neck edge, it looks great doesn't it and to think it's just a piece of t-shirt scrap!

9. Next take the bow and making sure the top shorter edge is facing the neck edge line the middle of the bow up with the shoulder seam and simply stitch through the centre of the bow all the way through the t-shirt, I went all the way around the centre piece to make sure it was secure.

That's it, if you want to be extra fancy you could add a few stitches to the bow edges to keep it from flapping around but I've found I didn't need to do this and the bows stayed put. I also left the sleeve edge unturned, you could always turn it under and stitch, personally I liked the raw edge.
So there you are, it shouldn't take longer than an hour even for newbies to hand sewing so even us naptime crafters can make a cute new addition to our wardrobes.

If you like this feel free to check out my blog for more refashion tutorials.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011 01:36:54 PM by mink_bikini » THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011 12:05:07 PM »

Wonderful and tres chic!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
teachart
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011 12:13:21 PM »

So cute!!! I wish everything I tried to sew didn't turn out wonky!!! Fantastic job, will be checking your blog out! (hopefully you have some tutes for us sewing impaired!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kuckyjune

A pox? How delightful, a pox!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011 12:36:23 PM »

That is great! So cute and easy. Brilliant idea with the surged scrap neck detail, inspired!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Clarachk
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011 12:41:16 PM »

First, NEVER apologize for ginormous photos. Us craftsters enjoy seeing your hard work up close! Second, GREAT recon of a mostly-boring long-sleeved tee! The stripes are adorable and so is the blue colour.... but yeah, a bit boring off the rack, eh!?! I really like the scrap detail you added on the neckline. It adds a nice bit of texture. The bows? SUPER sweet! I'd wear this in a heartbeat... and I have bookmarked your blog for later consuption :O)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created." ~Albert Einstein

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." ~Albert Einstein
lvl0rg4n
lvl0rg4n says Morgan

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011 12:49:54 PM »

Oh great idea! Super well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kimmyknits
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011 12:55:25 PM »

gonna make one for my niece!! Id make one for myself but my arms are too beefy. thanks so much for the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Boo_its_Brittany
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011 02:04:29 PM »

Awwwwie! This is just too freakin adorable.
I wanna make one right now. Smiley!
<3!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See something you like? Check out my shop!
www.facebook.com/FrillsandChills (Don't forget to "like" Cheesy!)
www.etsy.com/shop/FrillsandChills
*custom orders welcome!*
sorbetsurprise
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011 02:14:36 PM »

This ia lovely, I will def try this out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ljelondon
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011 03:03:23 PM »

How clever! Simple but striking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kevin Davies Talks About The $1000 Genome
Meet Author Sheila Weller
Max Watman Talks About Chasing the White Dog
Andrew Clements Discusses His Own Qualities
Author Harold Holzer Discusses Lincoln President-Elect
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...