A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Key Toppers  (Read 962 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RottieFan
« on: March 24, 2011 10:49:48 AM »

Hi all  Grin  I have a question.  Im not sure if anyone has seen the key toppers that are out there.  They are covers for you keys so you know which key is which *like a house for a house key...etc*.  I saw some in a hot spot tourist gift shop and should have bought one as a guide.  I think it was either made of plastic *which would snap over a key* or polymer clay.  My question is if I was to make one out of clay, how would I make it to fit over the key?  Huh It needs to slide down over it, so when baking how do I keep the cover from collapsing on itself?  I dont want to bake it onto the key, that would be permanent.  Im pretty sure that I could poke a hole in the top so when it goes over the key the key chain can be put through both the cover and the key.  Im just confused on how to keep the cover from collapsing.  Undecided Thanks!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011 11:03:53 AM »

There could be a few different things to consider when making something like this... how to hold the interior open while curing, how to create a slip-on that wouldn't have the equivalent of undercuts, and other considerations about the look you want.

The first problem is fairly easy to fix.  Just create a spacer from any kind of material or any form that would be about the same size and thickness of the opening you'd like in the interior of the key ring, or you could just put a "release" directly onto a key then bake the clay onto the key and remove after baking.

A spacer could be anything from a wad of tissue or aluminum foil or polyester stuffing stuffed into the opening while baking, to a perhaps a Woodle shape or two (bare wood), to cornstarch used to fill it up, to a cracker or apple slice stuck in it, to a clay shape you make yourself and bake.  
Some of those things might release easily with a little pulling or prying, or they could be covered first with various sheets or materials like paper, foil, ArmorAll, lots of cornstarch, etc.  In fact, you could just coat the key itself with ArmorAll, press on the "topper" and bake together...nothing much can stick where ArmorAll is involved since it's silicone. (And in fact polymer clay won't stick all that well to shiny metal, so the baked clay could probably be loosened and pried off using a nail file, butter knife, or thin palette knife, etc.

Now as for the other problem of shape, size, and "undercuts," that could be a problem because cured polymer clay is fairly rigid.  If it's thin, it will flex some but won't actually stretch very much.  
So if you want the clay key cover to come down past the widest part of the key head *and then decrease in width so it fits tightly to that under area on both sides*, you might have to use a flexible polymer clay like SuperFlex or perhaps even Eraser Clay (or mix some of those into your regular polymer clay).  You might be able to get away with regular polymer clay for a *bit* of undercut since the clay will be thin (but don't use Sculpey III, SuperSculpey, or original Sculpey, and perhaps some others since they will be brittle in thin areas, not flexible).
If you just want the top part of the key cover to fit well onto the key head, and have the rest just hang down, that should work since there wouldn't be undercuts to fit to.

You could also make a very flexible key cover from 2-part silicone putty, and perhaps embed a polymer clay cane slice or something into one side as the putty is setting up, or something else like that?

Could you show a pic of what kind of fit you have in mind?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011 11:20:52 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
RottieFan
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011 12:10:45 PM »

Oooooo...Thanks Diane!! I had no idea it wouldnt stick to Armor All and we have plent of that!!  Smiley

This is what I was thinking about.  If this link doesnt work, just google Amazon Key Covers and it should come up.  I think these are made of plastic though and I wouldnt have the first clue of using something like that.  I really could shoot myself for not buying one.  They were so cute!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001TLRTQM/insurancein06-20
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011 08:01:46 PM »

Okay, I see what you mean now.  Those do NOT have parts of the covers that decrease in size in order to fit down around the bottom half of the key's head and grasp it.  They're just square or flaring in that area.  Guess the covers are held on either because the vinyl, or whatever, cover is kind of sticky or it's just tight and there's enough area on the top part of the key's head to keep it from getting pushed off if stressed from the bottom part of the key's head.

The monkey head covers do decrease after the widest part of their heads, but the two sides may not actually be joined on the sides just in that area:
http://www.amazon.com/Fred-MKEY-Six-Monkey-Keycaps/dp/B000V1Z2P6/ref=pd_cp_hi_1_img

P.S.  ArmorAll is great stuff, but you won't need a lot and its slippery.  Do remember though that because almost nothing can stick to silicone, if you should use the AA in a situation where you later wanted to paint or add a clear finish or even stick on more clay or a powder, etc., those won't want to stick either!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
RottieFan
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011 10:49:51 AM »

Well phooey....I did more research and seems that the ones I thought were clay are actually made from rubber.  Well scratch that..........

Thanks for all your advice Diane.  I will definitely keep in mind the AA idea though. Smiley

Time for a new idea.  *sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011 06:16:05 PM »

Well, just because those were made from rubber doesn't mean you couldn't make the same basic thing from polymer clay.  You'd just have to do the "fit" and brand, etc, things I mentioned below.  Polymer clay has been used for key fobs as well as "sleeves" over things, etc., for quite awhile.

You could also just make front and back pieces shaped like the key, then glue them to the key (though that might end up permanent if you use a strong enough glue).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/6
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 9/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 4/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 8/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 29/29
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...