A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 311,412
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Serger Recommendations  (Read 15151 times)
Tags for this thread: serger  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missgurle17
Miss Dana Rae

XoXo, Dana

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2005 02:42:32 PM »

So I looked through this entire board (4 pages, woo, lol) and saw nothing on Serger Recommendations... So who has a serger? Do you love it? What about certain stitch types, what would I NEED? I just got a (well paying!) job and this is the first 'big' ticket item I want...so help would be much loved!

Thanks in advance.
<3, Dana
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007 04:39:41 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

XoXo, Dana Rae

I have 50 gmail invitations, this is a great invite only email service. Email me if you are interested.
epilepticlemur
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005 12:47:04 PM »

Sigh, I've come to this thread looking for the same thing.  I want to get a serger, but I don't want to mistakenly buy the cruddiest of sergers.  I saw that Joanns is going to be having a sale on the White Model 1600, but I think I heard something about White using plastic parts in their engines.  I definitely do not want that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paulie_86
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005 03:25:00 AM »

I just got a Singer 14ts554D. I was looking for a fairly inexpensice serger that would perform really well. I had used a lot of other Singer sergers in the past and found them to be pretty good. I like my machine. Performs really well and comes with a heap of accessories. But i would reccomend going down to your local sewing machine dealer and having a good look around and ask for a demonstration. Hope this helps. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Florentine  -  A sewing, knitting, crafting and cooking blog.
missgurle17
Miss Dana Rae

XoXo, Dana

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005 08:40:25 AM »

I just got a Singer 14ts554D. I was looking for a fairly inexpensice serger that would perform really well. I had used a lot of other Singer sergers in the past and found them to be pretty good. I like my machine. Performs really well and comes with a heap of accessories. But i would reccomend going down to your local sewing machine dealer and having a good look around and ask for a demonstration. Hope this helps. Smiley

When I was in sewing class we had all singers, both regular machines and sergers. They were crap always messing up. Have to rethread etc... (Dont get me wrong old singers are wonderful, but the new ones are crap) After using them in class I will not buy a serger...
                   Er I didn't mean to sound so negative
THIS ROCKS   Logged

XoXo, Dana Rae

I have 50 gmail invitations, this is a great invite only email service. Email me if you are interested.
epilepticlemur
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005 02:27:22 PM »

Yeah, I definitely plan on going to the dealer and seeing some demonstrations, but I'm also trying to do some research online. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005 03:34:04 PM »

I definitely am saving up for a serger to go hand in hand with my new sewing machine (which I am getting for my birthday in about a month and a half)...I thought about the one at Joann's, but then after hearing about the plastic parts thing, I am not so sure...I like Kenmores, and that's the kind of sewing machine I'm gettng, so maybe I'll get a serger from Sears.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
TessTessi

Lily is my best friend

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005 10:01:46 AM »

I have a Pfaff hobbylock. It's the very basic Pfaff serger model.  I purchased it for a pfaff dealer who's been fixing all my families machines for year. I've never had a trouble with it, and it's been through some hardcore sewing sessions!  I felt really comfortable buying it because the person who sold it to me had been fixing my machines for year, and wasn't trying to give me a big sales pitch, or sell me a machine I wouldn't be able to use.  I wouldn't highly recommend checking out your local dealers.  They usually accept machines for trade, so you could get a nice used machine too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holy flipping cow. I changed my profile picture after 4 years on here.

Love Alpacas?  Go visit: Alpaca Love Club
Come visit my website!  www.madebytess.com
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005 02:45:20 PM »

Anyone else have anything to add on this?  I'm considering a serger and want to know these things:

What brand do you have?
What do you like about it?
What do you hate about it?
Would you buy it again?
About how much did it cost?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
Hemi*Housewife
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005 04:57:02 PM »

I bought a Juki pearl line MO-655 today.  I havn't tried it yet...other than at the dealer for a minute.  It was $500 and I can bring it back if I hate it so thats good...these guys are really nice.  Its a 5 thread...and has a really clear threading diagram (something you want to look for in a serger cause these things can be tough to thread).  It does a variety of stitches and it does a Merrow stitch which was a plus for me.  I'll let you know how I like it later!

I hear the White brand sergers are great...and that was what I was looking for initially.

This is thier best seller and it looks great!

http://joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=25008&PRODID=66738
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abe
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005 05:30:36 PM »

What brand do you have?  Juki MO-655 & Singer 14T967DC

What do you like about it?  The Juki is a smidge faster, is quieter, and IMO is easier to thread.  On the other hand the Singer has the ability to do a cover stitch.  Both are good machines Smiley

What do you hate about it?  Juki-no trim collection thingie & dust builds up on the machine.  Singer-it's loud

Would you buy it again?  Yes & Yes

About how much did it cost?  Juki - $385 shipped (got a great deal on eBay), Singer $599
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my shops or sign up for my mailing list!  Wink
http://www.kittyinpinx.com

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie
How to Crochet a Baby Blanket
How to Crochet a Baby Hat
How to Choose Crochet Yarn
Crochet for Beginners: Half Double Crochet Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...