A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,064
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Serger Recommendations  (Read 12944 times)
Tags for this thread: serger  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

epilepticlemur
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2006 01:26:18 PM »

I'm going to buying a serger that has a coverstitch soon.  It's a singer and I think the model is the Quantum.  It sells for 599 at Hancocks (but I'll be getting it for less, since I work there)  It will be my first serger.  I'll most likely by it within a month.  I'm so excited!  I'm going to start buying serger thread at the 50% off notions sale this weekend. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myrLegacy
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2007 08:43:07 PM »

Am looking around for a serger too.  I've been eyeing the Babylock Imagine (but it's kinda... um, over my budget, to say the least).  I'm limiting myself to local dealers.  I'm wondering how well the Imagine handles.  I think I'm suspicious of anything that is "computerized."  Has anyone had any problems with it?  Anyone have an opinion on wheather or not it would be a good investment?  I'm being seduced by the thought of automatic tension, but is this something that'll break down and cost way to much to fix?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angeltreats
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2007 11:44:30 AM »

I bought a Janome 9200D recently.  It cost about 200 which I think is about $400 or a little bit less, not sure of the exchange rates at the moment.  I really like it, it doesn't do cover stitching but it's easy to thread (as far as sergers go!), does rolled hems without having to change the needle plate, came with a DVD to show you how to thread it and how to do different stitches/effects, and is just generally very nice Cheesy

I haven't used it much yet though, although I'm planning on making a denim cover for my sofa tomorrow so we'll see how it handles thick fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crystalwaters
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2007 03:45:56 PM »

What brand do you have? I have two Brother 1034D overlocks. I bought them because my sister had one, I liked the brand, and because of the good reviews I'd read.
What do you like about it? the price, the fact that they are both workhorses and I have put them through much more than a poor serger should be put through. They have rarely failed me.
What do you hate about it? that the blade doesn't come up quite as high as I need for some tougher fabrics (I do a lot with faux fur), and one of them skips stitches if I try to make wide stitches.
Would you buy it again? I bought it twice, so yes. :-)
About how much did it cost? I got the first one refurbished for about $150, the second for maybe $250 with shipping. I think I got the new one through Amazon.

What brand do you have? Juki MO-735 overlock/coverstitch. I have a great Juki sewing machine which sold me on the brand. I'd seen reviews of other models but not this one. I almost always use it for overlocking, but I decided on it because of the variety of stitches it can do when I need them.
What do you like about it? It does amazing work. The knives are tough, I can do extra wide stitches, it has a lot of attachment feet, the coverstitch and other options are awesome.
What do you hate about it? It's pricey, but I needed a tougher machine for what I do.
Would you buy it again? Yes
About how much did it cost? $999 from icanhelpsew.com, with free shipping. Comes with a 'free' set of 8 feet.

I haven't seen this tip on how to thread a serger here, so I'll share it: for the longest time, I would put off changing the thread in my sergers because I just HATED having to thread them. When you change the cones, cut the old thread just before they go into the tension thingies. Tie the ends of each of the new cones to the cut thread, and slowly chain off until the knots get to the needles. You won't have to rethread the loopers (the knots should go right through), but you will just have to thread the two needles. Takes just a minute at the most.

Crystal
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diannab
founder member of the ZaftigMomma appreciation Society : )

Away..... stalking..... will return shortly......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2007 04:58:50 AM »

Alrighty, I have a question.... I am going to buy my serger this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin hehehehe

Should I get the 4 thread singer from walmart? (194)
or the 4 thread from the Singer center? (more expensive 100 bucks more)
or the 5 thread from Singer center? (599) (this one can do a safety stitch... the others cannot) is there a pro or con to having/not having this feature? Thanks! Cheesy Dianna

I am going to try and find out today over the phone why there is such a price difference between the 4 threads........ I don't understand because the Singer Center states that they sale their items for the same price as everyone else because Singer sets the prices and they just go by them.... Thoughts please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Would you like a Child/baby clothing & gift board?
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2007 07:01:58 AM »

My thoughts are always, "If you can afford it and you'll USE the features, get what you can for the money."

I bought a 4 thread machine and I like it very much.  If I had bought the 5 thread machine that does the cover stitch, I'd probably be even more satisfied.

As for the Singer/Walmart question--I'd buy from Singer simply because you'll probably have a service agreement, like one free cleaning within 12 months of purchase or something like that.  The Cleaning alone won't be worth the $100, but the peace of mind that the store where you purchased the machine will be more willing and able to service it is priceless.

I had trouble with my Janome serger at first due to "operator error."  Nothing wrong with my machine; i just wasn't always threading it properly and didn't understand the tension adjustments, etc.  I took it to my sewing center (Frye's in State College, PA) about 4 times in the first 3 months and they helped me willingly and NICELY each and every time.  Walmart wouldn't have done that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
SMR
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2007 10:03:52 AM »

What brand do you have? Babylock Imagine
What do you like about it? Jet-Air threading is super-easy.  It has automatic tension, so there's no crazy adjustments.  Differential feed for making ruffles and sewing knits.  Decorative stitches like blanket stitch and rolled hem.  It was more than I wanted to spend, but I had never used a serger before and I think finding an easy-to-use machine means I will use it more.  I was not as intimidated by it as I would have been by a hard-to-use serger.  P.S. myrLegacy: This is not a computerized machine!  I thought the same thing, but it is not.  It works just like my 1981 Bernina-- electric, but no computer. You should definitely visit a dealer and play with one if you are interested. 
What do you hate about it? Not free-arm.  The price wasn't the best but hopefully it will prove to be worth it.  I did not buy the Evolve, which has coverstitch, because of the price (nearly $3000) and I've heard switching back and forth is a pain.  I will buy a separate coverstitch machine in the future if I need it.
Would you buy it again? Yes.
About how much did it cost? $1200 on sale at a local dealer.  It's a lot, I know, but they also offered a free lesson and they will service it in the future. I think it will be worth it in the long run.   

I went to the dealer on a sale day (Superbowl Sunday!) with the intention just to look.  Oops!  It was very out-of-character for me to buy such an expensive thing without doing weeks of research first, but I haven't regretted it at all.  That was just a couple of weeks ago and I have already learned all the stitches and used it quite a bit. 

S
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlkRze
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2007 05:57:03 AM »

What brand do you have? Viking Huskylock 905

What do you like about it? It turns on

What do you hate about it? It's not great at cutting through heavy fabrics.And when it's on the stretch fabric setting it doesn't allow for the fabric to stretch after being sewn.BOO!

Would you buy it again?No.I am not happy with my machine at all.

About how much did it cost?Too much money! Over 500
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myrLegacy
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2007 08:42:44 PM »

P.S. myrLegacy: This is not a computerized machine!  I thought the same thing, but it is not.  It works just like my 1981 Bernina-- electric, but no computer. You should definitely visit a dealer and play with one if you are interested. 

Okay, don't know if anyone here can answer this question, but this is my biggest hesitation about the Imagine:

If the Babylock Imagine is NOT computerized, how does it figure out the tension by itself???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinxaroo
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2007 07:51:10 AM »

hi! can someone please answer a question for me...

i am looking to buy a serger and i work with a variety of fabrics with different thicknesses. i especially love faux fur. does this mean i want a serger with differential feed? does anyone have a recommendation for a serger under $300 that works well with faux fur?

thank you!!!! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another =P -Madonna
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Animal-Themed Towels for Kids
How to Silk Screen Your Own Designs
How to Make an Egg Cozy
How to Make Marbleized Paper
How to Make Terry Cloth Bath Mitts for Kids
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...