A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Toy box/Bench/Play..station? picture middleweight  (Read 574 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sallymayhomer
Happiness by Hand

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2011 06:34:22 PM »

I wasn't sure which category to put this in, since you can literally play on it as a toy and store toys in it, I figured this was as good a place as any, my apologies if I'm flashin' my goods on the wrong corner. Hi, my name is what? My name is who? My name is..Sally May ...be? Ok I'm in a loopy state, since it took me literally 5 hours to upload the pics for this. Ugh, I have a terrible wifi connection. I digress... (and will again..often)

I attended a program aimed at introducing women into a more Male dominated work force a few months ago and while I was there I took a woodshop class. In said class we made, among other things, a tool box/bench. I decided since we already made toolboxes I shouldn't be greedy and started thinking about what I could do with it so my youngest son could get some use out of it. I took a pencil and had at it... since he LOVES trains I made a little train carrying the letters of his name on flatbed train cars across one side and then some of his favorite characters on the other; on the sides I made night and day with the sun and moon respectively. My son always turns everything into train tracks (including but not limited to stripes on the shoulder of a shirt I may be wearing) so here comes the fun part...I decided to make train tracks that ran along the top. I used a dremel engraver to outline the pictures and since I didn't have a router I hand chiseled the tracks (I DO NOT recommend this time consuming and hazardous endeavor).

Eventually I painted it and here's the end result... I thought it was a cute touch that I went from light blue on the side where the sun is to dark blue on the night side but kids don't notice..he just loves playing with it..and the fact that it has a handle makes him happy, he takes it all over the house to turn lights on and off, and just play wherever he wants. The pictures aren't the best and I only had dollar store brushes available or I would have detailed it more..I still plan to, and he's already spilled stuff on it etc. However, I still think it turned out pretty cool and I had alot of fun making it. (lots of craft-trance hours used... you know what I'm talkin' about) Hope you enjoy and possibly get inspired!!

Here's the munchkin enjoying his ...toybox/bench..thingy

Here's the front..with a lovely spill at the top

Here's the back which still needs more work

Here's one side

And the other side

Here's the top

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011 01:51:28 PM by sallymayhomer » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We should all fear evil men, but what we should fear most, is the indifference of good men. On a lighter note..have you smiled today? If you have not, Just DO IT! If you have..do it again!
Tropic_Rose

Radical She-ite

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011 07:30:37 PM »

Wow! This is great! I am definitely going to have to learn wood-working if I can crank out awesome things like this. Of COURSE he loves it. Who wouldn't?

PS: This ROCKS!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011 07:31:32 PM by Tropic_Rose » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is better to have crafted and failed then never to have crafted at all.
Yes, I am stalking the Toys and Playthings board. Thanks for noticing!
I'm cheating on Craftster with Pinterest. It's ok though. There's overlap.
imera
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011 12:33:25 AM »

What a cute box, and a lucky boy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Linnybelle
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011 05:08:10 AM »

That's awesome!  The train track idea is genius and the painting is very good as well. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011 07:39:26 AM »

Wow, it is so neat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Modern 1950s Poodle Hairstyle
Ashley Greene Goes Blonde
The Modern Chignon Tutorial
Hair Tips: How To Use Dry Shampoo The Right Way
Hair Trend: Edgy Slick Up-Do
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...