A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,942
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Home Invasion!  (Read 2738 times)
Tags for this thread: embroidery , insect  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flurominx

Guerilla Embroidery!!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2011 10:19:48 AM »

I thought I would share some images from a series of work I created for my first solo exhibition, which was held in August last year @ The Orange Regional Gallery, NSW, Australia. The exhibition was a culmination of a year long residency at a school there.

This series explores my own fears at finding myself sharing my new house with all manner of creepy crawlies; most of which I was convinced were going to kill me. This got me thinking about the way the first British settlers must have felt - shipped off against their will to a strange and what must have seemed hostile country. I chose to use found linens collected from charity (or op shops, as they are known in Oz); as a way of creating easily identifiable artworks which draw the viewer in. These sort of textiles have a social 'memory', and as such they evoke certain thoughts and feelings in people. For my purposes these textiles acted as a metaphor for the traditional and domestic. I then chose to juxtapose the existing floral and 'cutesy' imagery with stitches of insects of various levels of toxicity. It was my hope to begin to tackle the well know but often irrational fear we have of insects through humour.

These works will be featured in the new HOOPLA (Art of unexpected embroidery) book which will be out in Autumn  - where they have taken the form of a project anyone can do themselves. I am also in the process of finding a gallery to exhibit them on their own; rather than as part of a larger show (as they were in Australia).

Anyway enough guff, here are some pictures!

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts, and also any ideas for expansion of ideas. What things are you scared of invading your home?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011 11:17:59 AM »

Lovely and interesting work!  I happen to love bugs!  Cheesy

I love that you are using traditional vintage motifs with your creepy crawlers! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pugwash

oh, hello there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011 11:47:50 AM »

I don't think I could bear to embroider over older linens like that, they're so timeless! In fact, I have a whole box full of that stuff that my grandma embroidered and tatted herself, but I'm afraid to do anything other than peek at it once in a while for fear of ruining anything.

That said, you do lovely work. I love the big spider with the orange flowers Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011 12:06:41 PM »

I used to think like that until I realized that my grandmother was the sort that would rather know that her work was being appreciated by being seen rather languishing away in a box...since then, I have embroidered and painted and sewed on her tablecloths, aprons, handkerchiefs and table runners...I even took apart some of her crochet work and used them in my collages...I think my grandma is dancing in heaven! Cheesy

Well, she will be once I turn her quilt into some journal covers! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NotKnit

My best works.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011 01:25:43 PM »

Great work, and like many great works it makes me uncomfortable Smiley I am not a lover of bug-type critters. I would suggest ants though, they are terrible here in the southern U.S. and really hard to get rid of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011 01:51:20 PM »

Those are fantastic! I would so use a hanky with flies on it Tongue I love the amount of detail in each piece, truly stunning!

Red squirrels are an ubiquitous problem here in northern Ontario. They chew up your camping gear, crap all over the place, and are nearly impossible to get rid of. Dunno how you'd make red squirrels look sinister, though Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011 01:52:55 PM »

termites, fleas, stink bugs, ladybugs, and grasshoppers and hornets...they all invade our area...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011 06:53:57 AM »

What a great juxtaposition! It made me uncomfortable just to look at them.  I'm almost afraid to mention this because you did such a great job making the bugs look so realistic, but I hate, hate, hate mice.  I mean I really, really hate mice to an irrational level.  They scare me.  I have nightmares about them. I'd say I'm pretty darn phobic in the true clinical sense.  So, there you go...mice would be my worst home invasion.  No, scratch that...if I found a rat, I'd just have to move!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Correlating

YOU are a cheeseball! :D

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011 07:16:07 AM »

I agree that ants would be great... perhaps on something gingham? (i may do that myself, if you don't my borrowing the inspiration!). I also think termites would be great on something with a tree...

I love what you've done so far, and I like that you have such a narrative around it. Great work! Keep it up and please keep posting! Your stitching is beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...puttin' things together...
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011 08:29:26 AM »

What wonderful ideas...I might need to borrow the idea of stitching ants on gingham...I think they would make great napkins for the picnic baskets! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Necklace
How to Make a Pair of Earrings
How to Make a Silver Ring
How to Make a Crystal Pendant
How to Make a Beaded Necklace
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...