A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: lids for huge watercontainers  (Read 1245 times)
Tags for this thread: papier_mache  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BirdBones
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2011 09:07:22 AM »

My boyfriend┤s mother redid her garden and ended up with huge, ugly watercontainers destroying the scenery, so she asked me to do something about that. This is what I came up with:
(made from mostly papermache, a little paint, felt leaves and some seahells)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011 12:00:50 PM by PixieVal - Reason: revealed images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MainSarahJane
I am what I am, I be what I be.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011 06:34:47 AM »

Wow, I was instantly drawn to these. Did you have to coat them in a protective sealant?  I think they are beautiful, they look like a mosaic.  That is a neat idea to dress up your garden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah Wink
BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011 01:31:34 PM »

Wow, I was instantly drawn to these. Did you have to coat them in a protective sealant?  I think they are beautiful, they look like a mosaic.  That is a neat idea to dress up your garden.

Yes, I did. I added latex to the glue I used and put 3 extra layers of clear lacquer on top.  ( this is the method I've used for outside papermache stuff for years, it used to work perfectly) Unfortunately I only found out afterwards that german factories don't produce waterproof lacquer any more. I tried to rescue what I could in the fall, but I'm told they did not survive the winter. So I guess I'll give it another try as soon as it's warm outside again and I've imported waterproof lacquer for somewhere =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MainSarahJane
I am what I am, I be what I be.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011 07:42:51 PM »

Yes, I did. I added latex to the glue I used and put 3 extra layers of clear lacquer on top.  ( this is the method I've used for outside papermache stuff for years, it used to work perfectly) Unfortunately I only found out afterwards that german factories don't produce waterproof lacquer any more. I tried to rescue what I could in the fall, but I'm told they did not survive the winter. So I guess I'll give it another try as soon as it's warm outside again and I've imported waterproof lacquer for somewhere =)

That is too bad that they didn't make it through the rough weather.  I guess it is bad for the environment.  I hear here in Ontario Canada that they are going to stop making and selling certain paints and varnishes aswell too.  What are we crafty people to do.   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah Wink
BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011 04:44:39 AM »

I'd seriously advise you to stack up on water-resistant paints. I wish I had known before they stopped production. Working around the problem of not being able to use simple paint to seal your stuff creates serious issues, such as having to come up with a very complicated, and often very expensive method. Eeeks. And where is the fun in crafting, when you spend double the time it took you to make something for making it last longer than one summer?
=)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Keep Your Oil Painting Clean Looking
How to Choose Sable Brushes
Oil Pallet Knives for Beginners
How to Oil Paint Shadows
How to Oil Paint Part 3/3
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...