A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I gave birth to it, but it looks like it's giving birth to me! - first post!  (Read 1558 times)
Tags for this thread: spongebob , hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sallymayhomer
Happiness by Hand

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2011 07:03:37 PM »

Hey all,
my name is Sally and I'm a craft-aholic (I will now imagine you saying hi Sally).. now that I feel we know eachother better I can share more about me and this project. I used to work on tv shows and movies and did so during an entire pregnancy..which is insane since I was working on my feet for 100 hours a week..in a 5 day week... I digress. ANYhoo I was on set and saw a background extra knitting and it hit me, "I'm pregnant I should know how to do that!".. I don't get the reasoning but noone should question a pregnant woman. SO I went online and found a teach yourself to knit website and dove in. First I made a rag of some sort(since I didn't know you should protect your project as you go, it was F I L T H Y by the time I finished it). Then I learned how to knit in the round and made umpteen baby hats and booties and blankets and gave them away to everyone I knew who was about to give birth.

Then I said.. I think I can go bigger! So I asked my man (now ex man..not the sexy Wolverine kind) if he wanted a hat. I was thinking along the lines of..black or brown or a nice grey... but NOOoooooOOOooo, he says with a straight face "I want a Spongebob Hat". After my initial no way in hades thought passed, I think to myself, ok I'm crafty, I've pulled bigger things out of my...bag, I can do this.

So I run to my computer and look for a pattern, since I'd only been knitting for 3 months at this point, and the closest thing I saw to what I imagined was a poorly made one with a round top..last time I checked he was a "square" (ok more of a rectangle..but hey). So I looked up different techniques and used what I needed. There's this adorable baby hat pattern somewhere(I'm SO informative no?)..that you knit the earflaps first on seperate dp needles and then start knitting in the round, so I just made it squared for the pant legs, and started the round still brown and switched to white for a few rows for his shirt (naturally) then on to yellow and kept knitting in the round until it looked right, size wise, and matress stitched the top straight across so it was squared off.

Then I added arms and legs.. just knit a few rows and sewed (spelling?) 'em together along the long edge, and did i-cord for the fingers. I again knit some small rectangles for the shirt sleeves and connected them appropriately and for the legs I did the same as the arms but bigger, knit a mini pair of baby booties and more white rectangles for the socks and stitched them up. Used embroidery thread for the yellow and red lines on his socks and (I know this is for knitting but..) crocheted the eyes and used a crochet "chain" to make the lashes (just tied in the ends). I used the i-cord technique again for the nose and made the mouth seperately using the fairisle technique (so the tongue and teeth looked right) and attached it.  I then Knit the belt pieces and the tie and attached them, I made the collar by picking up stiches and knitting right from the piece. ...DEEP BREATH...

So I finally finished it, took me about a week, and the man actually wore it proudly down the street. People loved it and he promised I'd make more and he sold a few ( I never saw any money..exes are exes for a reason!) the one pictured here is the last one I made, I added pipecleaner in the arms so they're adjustable, how it's on my head in the pic is not how it looks worn properly, I just wanted you to be able to see him well. He actually (as the title says) looks like he's giving birth to you when you wear it down on your head. I love him, hope you do to.

Personal note. I love this site and have enjoyed looking at everyone's creations, I have alot of catch up to do so I hope you don't get sick of me! My son and I are currently in a homeless shelter due to unfortunate circumstances (don't worry, we're great and it's not as bad as it sounds) but most of my stuff is in storage, including but not limited to things such as the actual pattern I wrote out for this. I tried explaining the process as you can see above, but it will be a good long while before I can get my hands on my patterns, but anyone who wants it, when I have it again, I'll gladly share.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

We should all fear evil men, but what we should fear most, is the indifference of good men. On a lighter note..have you smiled today? If you have not, Just DO IT! If you have..do it again!
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011 07:59:27 PM »

and YES..I did say 'Hi Sally'.. Smiley

you are a riot!! and love love love me some Spongebob! you did a great job!! and there could be worse cartoons to give birth to you...like a smurf..or captain caveman..bwahaha!!

though a captain caveman in a photo like that ^^ would be AWESOME Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011 08:10:17 PM »

This is awesome!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Use Natural Dyes for Easter Eggs
How to Do Decorative Yarn Orbs
How to Make an Easter Nest Ornament
How to Make a Simple Easter Egg Drying Rack
Rustic Floral Arrangements for Easter
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...