A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL - Vintage style decoupaged mannequin  (Read 3316 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 22, 2011 04:00:55 PM »

please please tell me this is in the right section?! *whispers - I have no idea where to post this project* GAH! Anyway, I am copying this over from my blog as I felt the world of craftster needed to see it!

I picked up this female torso at a car boot sale a few years ago and she's been hanging around in my wardrobe ever since just waiting for the perfect project to come along. I don't know why, but last week I suddenly had an overwhelming desire to try out decoupage and what better project to try it out on than this?

Like it? Here's how I did it:

First of all I cleared the area I was going to be working at, laid newspaper down and arranged my materials. For this project I used some old incomplete patterns I've had kicking about for a while, some cheap brushes and some PVA glue.

Other papers on my list of 'things I can use' were vintage letters, comic book pages, maps and sheet music but I opted for the pattern paper as it seemed more fitting & would be easier to work with as it was thinner.

I started off with a base layer of glue. Whilst waiting for it to dry I began tearing up my papers. Smaller bits are easier to work with - large pieces will only end up folding, creasing up and over-lapping where you don't want it to (as you can see on the first layers I laid down - duh).

Next up I put some glue down and started layering my paper. I found the glue to be a little too thick to work with to begin with so I thinned it by mixing it with a bit of hot water until I had a usable consistency, making it much easier to work with. As you can see, the pieces I started off with were too big to smooth nicely over all the curves, but I liked the textured appearance the larger pieces left on the torso, so I left them there.

I picked out as many interesting bits of print that I could, and placed them on the torso so they could be seen clearly. The little "Vogue Pattern" marks are my favourite and I put the little buttons on her neck.

I started off layering printed bits of the pattern paper but wasn't particularly keen on the bold appearance so went back over it all again with plain pattern paper to fade the lines out a bit.

I felt she was still looking a bit too naked, so I used the lines of the patterns to 'draw' a corset onto her.

After she'd dried I patched up some bits that needed a few more layers, folded over any over-hanging edges and glued them to the back so she is now smooth around the edges!

She's certainly not 'perfect', but overall I'm really happy with how she turned out and I now have a beautiful new mannequin to display my work on at craft fairs, and when she's not being used she'll look fabulous propped up on display in my home!

Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
wryly
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011 04:39:19 PM »

This is excellent! A great idea using the pattern paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amber.hope
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011 05:26:07 PM »

Came out awesome! What a lucky find at a car boot sale, wish I could be that lucky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nctxweaver
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011 05:36:24 PM »

That is a great idea !!! I have a black one that I might try this on, don't have the pattern paper, but lots of magazines. thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nosnin
wayward victorian

Glitter and gloom...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011 07:00:59 PM »

Shocked That is about the COOLEST thing I have EVER seen! Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011 07:26:04 PM »

She looks great! Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midkiffsjoy
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011 04:18:11 PM »

O.O  WOW!!!!  Thats AWESOME!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
SoCraftyTal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011 03:10:35 PM »

Very beautiful - nice work!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to get notified instantly when someone adds a project of yours as their favorite? Support Craftster and unlock more features as a Friend of Craftster!
Jessy_Wa
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011 07:31:37 PM »

Very nice work! She looks awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sturdybitch
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011 04:29:05 PM »

So cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Beef Noodle Stir Fry Recipe
Asian Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Ginger-Scallion Chicken Wings Recipe
Beef and Pineapple Red Curry Recipe
Pork and Veggie Dumplings Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...