A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
760 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sweet, sweet summer... dress - a tutorial! Ridiculously picture obese!  (Read 1404 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Audania1
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 21, 2011 10:16:31 PM »

Sweet, Sweet Summer. Dress.

This dress fits a 4 to 6 year old. I chose this awesome seventies patchwork looking fabric. It is a stretchy knit one that is slightly see-through, which is why I did a liner for it. You could do this pattern with a non see-through fabric and omit the lining, if you prefer. Half the work that way! Also, I will be posting in large pictures and thumbnails so I don't clog up your computer. The larger ones I post b/c I feel that my explaination might not be enough, so you can see it better.

Needs: 1 yard of top fabric, liner, and lace. You will also need matching thread. I got mine to match the lighter fabric, but thats just me.
First things first, You need to draw your pieces on the paper and cut them out. Then, pin to your fabric and cut in this fashion: In the top fabric, cut 1 skirt, two straps, two bust pieces, one center bust strip. In the liner fabric, cut one skirt and two bust pieces. Cut lace to 35.
There is already a seam allowance, unless otherwise noted. Finish seams and trim threads as you go.

First, Sew bust pieces together:
Bust:
1)   With wrong sides facing down and liner on bottom, sew liner to top fabric along top of bust piece.

2)   Flip over so top fabric (patterned fabric) is on top with right side up.
3)   Tug liner fabric down until of it peeks out from under top fabric. Press.
4)   Top stitch over seam abut to 1/8.
5)   Stay stitch under arm edge at about .
6)   Repeat with other half of bust pieces.
7)   Place two bust pieces together, right sides facing, and baste stitch down center line at leaving ends long. DO NOT BACK STITCH!
Cool   Tug ends to cinch center bust until top of fabric is 2.
9)   Stitch seam at . *Note* my center bust line got pushed back out. Oh, well. I will adjust for this when I add the center bust strip/loop.

Skirt:
10)   Hem skirt liner lengthwise at . Pin hem on liner up another (or to your preference) and attach lace. Sew together.
11)   Hem top skirt by .
12)   With both right sides facing up, pin then baste stitch together at waistline from edge. Leave ends long. DO NOT BACK STITCH!
13)   Pull threads to cinch until waist/under bust is 1 longer than that of your childs. My daughters under bust is 20 so I made mine 21 . (You want to save that room for the seam allowance.) Then, seam stitch at the line.
Bust and skirt:
14)         Take neck strap, fold in half and sew at seam allowance at top and side with right sides facing. Repeat for second strap.
15)   Trim excess fabric and corners. Turn right side out and stitch end closed. Repeat for second strap.
16)   Attach neck strap to far sides of bust (under arm area) with 1/8 lower than bust. Do a box stitch on strap to ensure it stays well in place.

17)   Take center bust strip and fold in half lengthwise, right sides facing. Stitch using a 1/8 seam allowance. Press seam out.
18)   Trim and clip edges, flip right side out. You should have a piece 4 tall and 1 wide.
19)   Place over top side of center bust, over cinched middle, and looping over and behind. Front should show only 2 of loop. Stitch across the top part of loop at line and at the bottom up top fabric.
20)   With right sides facing, center bust to skirt and pin and stitch together up  on bust, so when seam is pressed out, all under lining and of loop is not seen.
21)   Press top of skirt down, stitch in place.
22)   Attach zipper to back of skirt (both top and lining fabric).
23)   Finish sewing liner skirt edge to liner skirt edge and top skirt edge to top skirt edge. This will ensure the two skirts are separate so when they twirl, you can see both skirts.

24)   *Note* After I tried the dress on my daughter, I noticed the bust part scooped forward heavily in the front. Since I dont want her to be flashing everyone, I adjusted it so that there looks to be a mini bow up front. All I did was pin the offending sections back on themselves and topstitched over it.

Voile! You now have your kid a super cute, super summer, sweetie dress! Comments and criticism are welcome.  Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NotKnit

My best works.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011 06:35:08 AM »

Cute dress and adorable model Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011 07:13:15 AM »

Such a nice dress for the summer! The fabric looks cool for the heat and I love the retro patterns!  She looks quite pleased with your efforts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Audania1

Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011 11:20:03 AM »

Thanks guys. Smiley it was a lot of fun to do. She kept hugging the fabric until I finished her dress, too. Wink Goofy little kiddo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add the Tandoori Style Chicken to the Sauce
How to Prep the Ingredients for Butter Sauce
How to Cook Tandoori Style Chicken
How to Prepare Tandoori Style Chicken
How to Make Butter Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...